From the Forum question for issue 81

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Dan Hero

Re: From the Forum question for issue 81

Post by Dan Hero » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:06 pm

The original arcade one, I can still finish it with a single credit and remeber all the tricks such as the one that prevents the bazooka-wielding macho men from shooting and the one to face Mandara without killing the legion of spinning buddhas!
my english may be a little rusty, but my heart's still retro

Miketendo

Post by Miketendo » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:10 am

Shinobi 3, by a landslide. Music is fantastic, one of the best scores on the Genesis. Second place is Shinobi for PS2 but holy difficulty, Batman!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:12 pm

Revenge was the first I ever played (thanks to the MCD), and loved it. But, I also love Shadow Dancer as well (mainly for the use of the dog). I'd say Shadow Dancer....but only by a very slim margin (0.0001%)
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

fgasking

Post by fgasking » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:03 pm

The first Shinobi game for me on the C64 - I never fully followed the series (Apart from playing Shadow Dancer on the C64 and Revenge of Shinobi on the Megadrive), but heavily got into the game on its budget release.
Hunting and reporting on lost/unreleased games...

C64 - http://www.gtw64.co.uk
All formats - http://www.gamesthatwerent.com (Inc links for Amiga, PC, 3DO)
My blog - http://fgasking.wordpress.com

mrspud

Post by mrspud » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:09 am

GG Shinobi is sublime. Probably the best game on the Game Gear in fact, and definitely the best game in the franchise.
New Amiga, SAM Coupé and Speccy games available at http://blackjet.co.uk

Lentini2001

Post by Lentini2001 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:20 pm

Super Shinobi easily. First MD game I got, used to take the screws out of the cartridge and plug the ROM into my UK Megadrive!

Happy Days!!

The Mask Seller

Post by The Mask Seller » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:37 am

Revenge of Shinobi, it inspired me to become a real-life ninja.
"Only the guilty have anything to fear. And the innocent, if we're having a slow day."

Garry

Post by Garry » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:45 am

It has to be Revenge of Shinobi for me. The Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack was superb. It also had so many memorable moments, fighting spiderman, getting blown out of the aircraft carriers doors, stupidly standing by bomb exploding bonus boxes, fighting shadows in a disco (ooh is this where Shadow Dancer comes from?), i could go on and on.But the main point that elevates it above other games of the time was the difficulty curve. It was spot on, hard, but you got that little bit better and further every time.

fulgenzio

Post by fulgenzio » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:20 pm

Hard choice, but The Revenge of Shinobi is a game to remember. Excellent gameplay, cool music... THE killer application for the Sega Megadrive.
Last edited by fulgenzio on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:21 pm

has to be the original. i liked shinobi so much i even went to the local carnival one summer dressed as ninja joe - this was many many years before i'd heard of 'cosplay'...and the only time i ever indulged in it.

revenge had the best music tho..

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:33 am

JetSetWilly wrote:Revenge was the first I ever played (thanks to the MCD), and loved it. But, I also love Shadow Dancer as well (mainly for the use of the dog). I'd say Shadow Dancer....but only by a very slim margin (0.0001%)
Saying that...I thought the conversion of Shinobi for the C64 was a cracker. The SID chip music is really cool, and very catchy. Plus, it plays really well, and still holds up. Still a bastard to crack on the second level, though :evil:
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:53 am

Has to be the first Shinobi I played - the Amstrad version. For only 8-bit`s it has full scrolling levels with multi platforms to jump between and attacks such has the default shuriken, closeup kicks & space bar for magic. The music also added greatly to the atmosphere though the first boss with his homing fireballs can be a little cruel.

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:08 am

Revenge of Shinobi. The first game I bought for my Megadrive and it's still one of the best.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:34 am

Game Gear Shinobi. I’ve played most of them, but this was the one I played to death. I can still hum the music to the title screen and the first level now, 20 years later. The last level was beyond impossible though.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

fouldsc

Post by fouldsc » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:43 am

The original arcade version. I remember finding this machine in the corner of an arcade in Skegness when I was about 12. Ninja's were all the rage on TV and the movies and this game let me play a ninja and it even had spiderman in it !
I spent my entire weeks pocket money on that game and still over it today.