Retro Gamer Features Index spreadsheet

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Szczepaniak

Re: Retro Gamer Features Index spreadsheet

Post by Szczepaniak » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:43 am

Hold on, there was an article which covered the making of the film The Wizard, and I missed it? :(

In case Darran or Stuart reads this: have you guys given any consideration to selling features individually for a small fee? The compilation issues are nice, but you can't always guarantee finding what you want, whereas selling individual articles, for I dunno, 50p per PDF, could allow an on-demand supply of niche articles you missed.

Technically you'd be making more profit per page than the massive compilation issues. ;)

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:26 am

Szczepaniak wrote:Hold on, there was an article which covered the making of the film The Wizard, and I missed it? :(

In case Darran or Stuart reads this: have you guys given any consideration to selling features individually for a small fee? The compilation issues are nice, but you can't always guarantee finding what you want, whereas selling individual articles, for I dunno, 50p per PDF, could allow an on-demand supply of niche articles you missed.

Technically you'd be making more profit per page than the massive compilation issues. ;)
There's always the DVD's. :wink:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:03 am

True, and they're great, but they require waiting until enough new issues have been made to warrant one. If RG waited say a few months before making single articles available, that would allow people to order specific articles as they wanted them if they missed that issue.

During my tenure at Time Warner, one of our most popular outlets was the past article archive, where readers would ring up and order print offs of single articles for a couple of quid. A print off from PDF plus postage costs almost nothing, meaning profit margins would be high - higher than even a £10 almanac or £20 DVD. The articles in question were DIY themed, and timeless, and with retro coverage being historical content, there'd be demand for stuff regardless of age (well, not the news and review stuff, but certainly Makings Of).

dwitefry

Post by dwitefry » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:17 pm

thanks for this :)

4am

Post by 4am » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:24 pm

Another 'thank you', an invaluable research tool. Any plans to provide an updated version at some point?

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:57 am

Well there's only been maybe 5 or 6 issues since this database was "provided" - surely you can update it yourself?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:34 am

Cheers for this. Really good work. An on demand article thing might work, I dunno, but I'd prefer to see further back issues on the iPhone/iPad app.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:10 am

I salute you sir, thank you, and know I will find this very useful :)

SqueakyG

Post by SqueakyG » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:53 am

Hello again. I have just updated the first post of the thread with new links, because I'm afraid I left very old links here for a long time! I've also looked at the Google Drive documents and set them to be viewable by the public, so hopefully there will be no odd permission issues now.

Hopefully these links work:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxWi1d ... EY4bkZIZkE
(Go to File>Download to download the XLS file to your computer)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... khyZ01uX0E
(An alternative that can be viewed in Google like a proper spreadsheet)

quantum

Post by quantum » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:31 am

I've created a page to search this data. More info in this thread. :mrgreen:

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

Drisk

Post by Drisk » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:21 pm

I did start to catalogue Retro Gamer when I was doing my YouTube video history

There are certain tabs that relate to Retro Gamer such as Games, Pub/Dev, Articles

Here is the spreadsheet in its entirety

http://www37.zippyshare.com/v/3322603/file.html

I think it only goes up to issue 100.. but if someone wants to take what I have done and bring it upto date then please feel free to use it... I would love it though if I could have a copy when its done :D

quantum

Post by quantum » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:58 am

Drisk wrote:I did start to catalogue Retro Gamer when I was doing my YouTube video history

There are certain tabs that relate to Retro Gamer such as Games, Pub/Dev, Articles

Here is the spreadsheet in its entirety

http://www37.zippyshare.com/v/3322603/file.html

I think it only goes up to issue 100.. but if someone wants to take what I have done and bring it upto date then please feel free to use it... I would love it though if I could have a copy when its done :D
Did you try my search page? :D

Rich@Option4Studios

Post by Rich@Option4Studios » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:07 pm

quantum wrote:I've created a page to search this data. More info in this thread. :mrgreen:
What is the latest issue number your search goes up to? I typed in Ocean but it didn't come up with issue 101 which is dedicated to Ocean. However I think any database/spreadsheet on Retro Gamer is brilliant as I wonder what articles I've missed out on and potentially what they could cover.

Green Bert

Post by Green Bert » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:28 am

Just wahat I was looking for - very useful. Thank you.
I think that Retro Gamer should make their own index available for everyone to access - at least for subscribers who have collected a ton of mags over the years.

quantum

Post by quantum » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:50 am

Rich@Option4Studios wrote:
quantum wrote:I've created a page to search this data. More info in this thread. :mrgreen:
What is the latest issue number your search goes up to? I typed in Ocean but it didn't come up with issue 101 which is dedicated to Ocean. However I think any database/spreadsheet on Retro Gamer is brilliant as I wonder what articles I've missed out on and potentially what they could cover.
True, can't see any data for issue 101. Will look into it!

Think issue 110 is the latest, so it's not up-to-date... :oops: