Retro Gamer Features Index spreadsheet

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

SqueakyG

Retro Gamer Features Index spreadsheet

Post by SqueakyG » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:46 am

Edit: Hello again! Apologies for not really being around. I put this spreadsheet here a long time ago and unfortunately neglected to update the links. However, I was always privately updating it month-by-month. So I'll put a more recent link at the bottom of this post. I've also looked at the Google Drive documents and set them to be viewable by the public, so hopefully there will be no odd permission issues now.

Hi,

I've been a reader of the mag for a long time and I have been working on a project to index Retro Gamer features into a spreadsheet.

There have already been endeavors to thoroughly list contents for each issue, which is a great way of knowing what a particular issue contains, but cannot help when you want to know in which issue a certain article appeared. A spreadsheet would allow people to find answers to questions like: "Did RG ever do a feature on the Neo Geo Pocket?" (yes, issue 20) or "Which issue had the making of Chuckie Egg?" (issue 40).

Limitations:
Now first, the disappointing bit. I have limited this to features only. All the other sections of the magazine are fantastic, but it would be messy to log everything. Sadly this also includes Retro Rated, Homebrew, and some other bits and bobs I found hard to categorise!

I have also been quite sparse with the information I included. I did not bother to list the author of each article, or its page number. What I give you are: Article Type, Issue, number of pages (to show whether the article is big or small), and whether the feature appeared in any of the collection bookazines.

I must also admit that I didn't buy every issue myself, so some data may not be perfect. After issue 66 I could gather the information by watching Darran's youtube videos (don't flick so fast, Darran!)

The information is organised into five tabs:

"Unique" articles are any one-off or infrequent pieces that do not belong to any of the usual categories. Issues 1-18 contained mostly unique articles, then the Imagine mag had a very rigid article structure, and recently there have been more unique articles again.
"Hardware" is the Retroinspections, Obscura Machina, etc.
"Games" is the biggest category, sorted into types of feature (The Definitive, The Classic Game, etc). The first 18 issues stick out a bit because they don't conform to the later definitions.
"People" are the Desert Island Disks and In The Chair With interviews.
"Companies" is the Developer Lookbacks, Company Profiles, etc.

How to use this spreadsheet:

By default the information is laid out the way it was entered: page by page, issue by issue. But this isn't helpful for most needs. You can click "Find & Select" to search directly for a word. Perhaps the most common use of the spreadsheet would be to sort the "Games & Game Series" column alphabetically and browse through the list. But you can play around with sorting any of the columns how you like.

It goes without saying you'll need a spreadsheet program. If you don't have Excel, a free alternative is Calc in the LibreOffice.org suite. The Google Drive version should also be laid out as a proper spreadsheet too.

Here it is.
I can assure you to the best of my ability that the file does not contain any viruses. I'm trying to figure out the best way to host this, so lets try Google Drive, and please let me know if you'd like alternatives:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxWi1d ... EY4bkZIZkE
(Go to File>Download to download the XLS file to your computer)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... khyZ01uX0E
(An alternative that can be viewed in Google like a proper spreadsheet)

I haven't made them editable by other people for now - what do you think?

Apologies for the length of the this post, and whether it was inappropriate to do this. If any of you think a spreadsheet like this will be useful, please feel free to give feedback and corrections. Alright, bye now!
Last edited by SqueakyG on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jeremiah Jones

Re: Retro Gamer Features Index spreadsheet

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:02 am

This is fantastic. Superb job on indexing a tremendous amount of information!

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:54 am

I personally wouldnt use it, but top marks for effort and dedication. :)

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:04 pm

Top job mate, a lot of users will find this really useful. Thanks for sharing it with everyone.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:49 pm

"Sorry, the page (or document) you have requested is not available."

That's the error message I get from Google Docs when I try and download the spreadsheet. :(

Nice work (from what I can see from the pics above).
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

SqueakyG

Post by SqueakyG » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:25 pm

Jet Pilot wrote:"Sorry, the page (or document) you have requested is not available."

That's the error message I get from Google Docs when I try and download the spreadsheet. :(

Nice work (from what I can see from the pics above).
Okay, I have also put the file here: http://www.multiupload.com/LS8UBZUF50

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:17 pm

Got it downloaded. Nice work! :D
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

Kai

Post by Kai » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:22 am

Great work pal!

Plus, you rendered my very own work of trying to index all the articles obsolete! :mrgreen:

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:24 pm

Thanks for that. I've found it useful already.

I have my own version, but it only goes to issue 33. It looks like mine has more detail, and is presented in a different way, but is missing most of the issues to date. if anyone wants it it's here:

OpenOffice format
Excel format

You can use the filters at the top to view everything in a particular issue, only Retro Inspections, etc.

I think it took me about 40 mins per issue, and I got bored of doing it after 33 of them.
Last edited by necronom on Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:50 pm

That's just fantastic, well done!
I've edited it SLIGHTLY (which means I've sorted the platforms in the games section alphabetically, by platform). Smashing, I'll keep it updated from here on in.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

fulgenzio

Post by fulgenzio » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:53 pm

Great work!Thanks!

Bcubic

Post by Bcubic » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:33 pm

hej there,

looks like i'm not the only one trying to index the whole retro wisdom of the mag. My approach is using tags for describing the single articles of the mag. have a look: topic for discussion and database

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:06 am

Excellent work. What more can I say?

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:08 pm

Just a quick post to say thanks for the work!

Flat Eric

Post by Flat Eric » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:58 am

Awesome work, thank you! :)
PSN: FlatEric81 Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/retrostage