Hot Topic - Best Handheld

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Best handheld

Game Boy
37%
Atari Lynx
6%
Game Gear
5%
Neo Geo Pocket Colour
12%
Game Boy Advance
40%

Total votes: 83

SqueakyG

Re: Hot Topic - Best Handheld

Post by SqueakyG » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:59 pm

I went for the Game Boy, mostly for nostalgia reasons. I probably would have chosen the Game Boy Color if it was an option.

I should have chosen GBA because its games are at the perfect point of 16-bit loveliness, which I think is the best state for handheld gaming to be.

However, I don't really enjoy using any of the three hardware iterations. The first GBA was an odd shape, with a screen so dark that you needed direct summer noon sunlight to see anything. The SP was a bit cramped for my big hands, had no headphone jack, and the backlight was really weak and milky (apparently America got one with a stronger backlight). And the Micro is a pure block of sex... but the screen is just a bit too small to actually play games on. It's like an impressive novelty keyring.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:55 am

The original (and best) Game Boy. Why? The her-uge catalogue of classic games (which is playable on the GBA), and it spawned many a great series, mainly Pokemon and Kirby. Plus, it had just one of the best Mario games ever: Six Golden Coins. The first one is good, but this tops it with more of what made the first so good.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:30 am

My GB Micro has just lasted me three weeks while i was on holiday. Obviously i wasn’t playing it all the time, but bursts of Total Soccer (a few games at a time) with the sound off and the brightness right down saw me playing it in the airport going away, and the airplane coming back. In fact, the red light is now on but i still haven’t had to charge it. An amazing piece of kit!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."