Hot Topic - Best Handheld

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Best handheld

Game Boy
37%
Atari Lynx
6%
Game Gear
5%
Neo Geo Pocket Colour
12%
Game Boy Advance
40%

Total votes: 83

Timothy Lumsden

Re: Hot Topic - Best Handheld

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:15 am

actually my fav is the yellow Galaxy Invader 1000 I got for xmas as a nipper. My first schmup love.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:54 pm

Peter Molyneux (Interviewed in THE ONE magazine, Dec`90) Subject: Prospects for the GB: 'I`ll give it a year, maybe 2, it`s on the wane in Japan' :wink: Any thoughts on Kinect Peter?

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Game Boy Advance...but only the SP or the Micro. The SP was a portable SNES. The original GBA was an unlit abomination that only worked if you happen to be playing in the center of the sun.
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:12 pm

thevulture wrote:Peter Molyneux (Interviewed in THE ONE magazine, Dec`90) Subject: Prospects for the GB: 'I`ll give it a year, maybe 2, it`s on the wane in Japan' :wink: Any thoughts on Kinect Peter?
a year is pretty good on one set of batteries... :D

imaxeroker85

Post by imaxeroker85 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:03 pm

by far the Gameboy Advance, even tho i only had the original which was a bastard to play due to no backlight, it was amazing to play 16-bit style games in full colour, and even some use of early 3d scoping methods. Still need to pick up some more games to play on the dS.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:09 am

Having played all of the list

The Lynx (Mark2 especially)

Reason why. Just everything about it was great good games well made, easily transportable well to me it was and if you had rechargies then you were set re batterys... even better could plug in. Iam not so bothered about the portable nature as My GBA doesnt go anywhere either

Stand outs inc

Batman Returns
Rygar
Chips Challenge
Hard Driving
Steel Talons
California Games
Blue Lightening

And so forth and so on. Fantastic!

Wish I had one again.

With the GBA its like finding a needle in a haystack for games that you may like and always worrying about getting the ubiquitous HK Pirates and bootlegs instead of the real deal/
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:09 am

Original Gameboy for me.

It felt alot more special compared to GBA as i was 7 at the time of its release. I only had Tetris and Super Mario Land for along time, lost count of how many times i completed Mario.

joefish

Post by joefish » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:23 am

It has to be the GBA, or specifically the GameBoy Micro. Though I loved the original GameBoy, my Micro with Advance Wars and amazing versions of SEGA's Space Harrier, Out Run etc. all on a tiny handheld still gets me envious glances from people hulking round their DSes on the train to this day!

martin_lovick

Post by martin_lovick » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:06 pm

DINGOO - certainly the most versatile handheld
Have you played Atari Today?

ebay stuff for sale http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/martin_lovick/m.html

Mordminister

Post by Mordminister » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:07 pm

I know the GBA is superior in every way, but those first days of handheld gaming , getting sucked in by the Tetris music and playing till your eyes hurt can never be topped...

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:33 pm

I too think is is rather unfair to put a 32 bit portable up against a load of 8 bit ones, some of which are a decade older.

As such I am excluding it from my vote, and going for the one that has given me the most fun over the years, and that is the Lynx, My local Lloyds Chemist used to have a rack for games, and they had a brand new one back in 1990 for £49.99 that a rep had left them, and I snapped it up, me and three mates would get together for four player games of Xenophobe, where one could play the Alien, and California games, then there were the hours lost to Slimeworld, Electrocop. Ninja Gaiden, Joust, Ishido, Chips Challenge, Stun Runner, and more besides..it also garners more interest from people who see it than the others.

I have this old lynx and two mark 2 ones, one of which I picked up in Gamestation only recently, My older one, has a dimmer left hand side of the screen than the right for some reason.

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:42 am

Mordminister wrote:I know the GBA is superior in every way, but those first days of handheld gaming , getting sucked in by the Tetris music and playing till your eyes hurt can never be topped...
For me it was Probotector and Zelda: Link's Awakening on the old breeze block while I was in a hostel with no access to any other sort of gaming. So yes, the original GameBoy was a piece of technological genius, but I still think the GameBoy Micro is a stunning piece of engineering; having the sharpest, brightest screen and all in a tiny package no bigger than an original Nintendo gamepad.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:04 pm

I would go for the Gameboy Advance from that list, although I wish the GBA:SP was on that list.

dubchaser

Post by dubchaser » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:18 pm

Definately the Lynx. I still have three and have neared collecting all the software library. Long live the Lynx!
Dedicated to the Atari Lynx, Jaguar and Jaguar CD:
www.retrosprite.co.uk

The Kid

Post by The Kid » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:32 am

Neo Geo pocket color for me...metal slug on that baby rocked!!
however...Ready to Rumble on the GBA was awesome!!!