Hot Topic - Best Handheld

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Best handheld

Game Boy
37%
Atari Lynx
6%
Game Gear
5%
Neo Geo Pocket Colour
12%
Game Boy Advance
40%

Total votes: 83

Darran@Retro Gamer

Hot Topic - Best Handheld

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:51 am

Controversial...

merman

Re: Hot Topic - Best Handheld

Post by merman » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:28 am

Gameboy Advance... or more accurately, I would say the SP. SNES-quality games on a handheld, link-up play, backwards compatibility. It's also the format that gave birth to Wario Ware.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:32 am

Difficult to call. I'm going to go with the GBA purely because it did everything the original Gameboy did but much better and in colour, like having a pocket sized Snes. While their home consoles post snes haven't exactly set the world alight, somewhere Nintendo has been consistently untouchable is in the Handheld Market.

The Lynx and GameGear both kind of defeated the object by not being conveniently portable and having a battery life of about 8 minutes.

A console lives and dies by its games and while the NGPC was a great little machine there just wasn't enough there for it to go toe to toe with the GBA.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:16 am

Hmmmmnn....Tricky! Whilst i was huge fan of the GC (Sonic, Shinobi, Prince of Persia) and the Lynx (Rampart, APB, Blue Lightning etc) Battery life or lack of it, was a real downer.Gone for the GBA, but NOT original 'Needs a floodlight on it at all times as screen is so dark' model, but SP and Micro.So many fantastic games, great Battery life.Perfect handheld for myself and lifesaver for nights were i just could`nt sleep.Whilst i do own a NGPC, i`ve never used it. :oops: As for Original GB? Yuck, mine was used 3 or 4 times at most, the screen is THE worst thing in creation.Spent ages tweaking the settings, but still was awful on the eyes.

mrspud

Post by mrspud » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:23 am

GBA for me. I can emulate Game Gear, GB and even NGPC on it (a bit slow though). The native games are SNES quality and in the SP form it's a great compact little unit. I have a lynx, game gear and neo geo pocket, but rarely use any as the GBA can do it all, nearly!
New Amiga, SAM Coupé and Speccy games available at http://blackjet.co.uk

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:45 am

GBA by a country mile. The Gameboy laid the foundation and the GBA gave us much higher quality games on a stunning machine, certainly in case of the SP. While the old Gameboy was fantastic, the lack of a backlight doesn't cut it nowadays and a lot of the games feel old and basic.

GBA then, SP.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:59 am

The GBA was superb but i've just got a huge fondness for the original Gameboy. The GBA was great but i was older, didnt really get into it so much.

When the original GB came out (think i got mine in 1990 ?) that old grey brick was superb, played on it a ton, just a great device with many great games

Glad no one was on hard drugs and voted for the Lynx !

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:13 am

Gameboy Advance SP, for the Metroid games alone.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:16 am

Bit harsh putting up handhelds released in the late 80's/early 90's against one from the 21st century, you may as well stick a psp in there too.

I'm voting for the Lynx. At the time I was lucky enough to have a Gameboy, then a Lynx, then a Game Gear and the one I got the most fun out of was the Lynx.

Though I will have to admit the GBA is a pretty special machine!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:20 am

GBA obviously. The question could be - what is the SECOND-best handheld.

Though is the GBA retro? The Mirco only came out in 2005 didn't it??

Great topic. I could talk about handhelds all day. I wish I'd never thrown away my GG and original GB. I used to love my GameGear. Shinobi was amazing!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:27 am

greenberet79 wrote:GBA obviously. The question could be - what is the SECOND-best handheld.

Though is the GBA retro? The Mirco only came out in 2005 didn't it??

Great topic. I could talk about handhelds all day. I wish I'd never thrown away my GG and original GB. I used to love my GameGear. Shinobi was amazing!
I bought my GBA in 2002 so yeah its not that old really. Retro handheld it has to be the GB or GBC

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:46 am

Original Game Boy. Missus will still pinch that for work over the PSP or DS, old fashioned monochrome goodness is sadly missing in gaming now...

Tellah

Post by Tellah » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:04 am

Original gameboy all the way.
Released over a decade before the GBA.
Everyone here agrees the GBA is like a portable SNES. Other than being portable, I'd say it pretty much IS a SNES... only doing it all 10 years after the SNES did it first. Nice SNES remakes and ports. I love it, got a launch JP SP + a micro myself, but they weren't exactly revolutionary.

The GB though.... From Tetris in '89 to Mole Mania and Pokemon a decade later, the software kept coming. By the end it was producing greyscale SNES games like Donkey Kong Country and fully 3D games like 'X'.
The audio is still used heavily in the chiptune scene today. It sounds fantastic. I still can't believe my ears when I hear the intro to Shadow Warriors.

Oh... and the gameboy and games cost hardly anything. So it's the best handheld for anyone wanting to start a collection or get into handheld gaming.

Garry

Post by Garry » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 am

I love the Game Gear, but needing to keep it plugged in to play the games for any length of time kinda defeats the purpose. So I'm backing the original game boy. That little thing gave hours of joy on many long journeys. Plus it had a huge variety of games, they must have tried everything on that machine.
Ah the early 90's were truly a monochrome golden age.

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:08 am

Turbo Express.