The cover (issue 19)

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:47 am

lemon-rev wrote: The cover of the mag looks like one mag i got a while ago called 'Amstrad Action' relating to all things amstrad
As a reader of AA until the bitter end, in my opinion it does not.

cheeky_muffin

Re:

Post by cheeky_muffin » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:45 pm

chinnyhill10 wrote:As a reader of AA until the bitter end, in my opinion it does not.
Agreed, I also read Amstrad Action for many a year and can't see any similiarity whatsoever.

AA to the end eh.... 22 pages, covertape at £3.25 per month, they just needed a finale issue. :cry:

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:06 pm

cheeky_muffin wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:As a reader of AA until the bitter end, in my opinion it does not.
Agreed, I also read Amstrad Action for many a year and can't see any similiarity whatsoever.

AA to the end eh.... 22 pages, covertape at £3.25 per month, they just needed a finale issue. :cry:
I believe the reason was that AA was dragged out to the bitter end and was axed as soon as the next issue was projected to make a loss, hence no goodbye. Being an anorak I only purchased AA towards the end out of loyalty. I suspect i wasn't alone. I really wish they had dropped the covertape as the magazine was reduced to a cheap leaflet. It was odd that Future allowed (due to the fact it was their first mag) AA to go on and on but didn't cut the magazine short a few issues earlier to allow a goodbye. In the final issue there was no indication it was the final issue!

Your Sinclair got a proper final issue (although it was much healthier) and so did CF. I'm surprised CF lasted as long as it did as it was effectivly run as one magazine alongside AA. When AA went I thought CF would go at the same time.

The news of the closure was published, oddly, in Commodore Format. As if any self respecting AA reader would read CF? In fact in one issue of AA the team were seen burning issues of CF!

NorthWay

Re:

Post by NorthWay » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:26 pm

Markie wrote:Just to give you a little insight into the cover, and the mag style overall...

The take was to create a modern 're-imagined' retro gamer that would stand up alongside the console mags of today. That our beloved mag is a multi-format mag which just happens to cover computers and console formats not found in the 'up to date' mags at the mo.

The cover and logo was deliberately designed to reflect the feel of the old logo and styling including taking some direct aspects such as the spine building up and the 'old' (which we all just loved!).
My problem with the old RG logo when looking at the styling of the mag was that it screamed Atari! And old. I love that 70s style font style but I wanted something that would evoke that feel without actually feeling a bias towards one format. Plus the cover had to work on the very competitive mag shelves of WHSmiths etc... and feel 'new'. After all, I hope after you seeing it properly that you see that this mag is a very forward looking retro mag. Though I did stop short of putting 'under new management' on the cover ! heh!
First issue arrived (free of charge) in a paper envelope the 6/7th (that was fast), and in near perfect condition! (Well done: Old RG was usually crumpled...)

I wont say too much about the cover (even if that is the topic) - it was ok-ish (but I might have prefered the old) - but I'll comment on the style in general (having only thumbed through it):
I've _seen_ this magazine before. I can't exactly put my finger on which one; might be a bit like ACE, or perhaps it would be more accurate to say Arcade.
The style is ..."modern", "urban", "hip", none of which is very retro to me. The Zzap avatars(?) don't do anything for me either.

In other words, the look did not "click" with me. Which is a shame because it seems to have _loads_ of content! So much so that I immediately worried that you'll run out of stuff to write pretty soon.
Getting Archer Maclean as a columnist was a scoop. The rest of the content looks very interesting and I look forward to getting the time for it.

"Mixed feelings" in other words.

cheeky_muffin

Re:

Post by cheeky_muffin » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:29 pm

chinnyhill10 wrote:I believe the reason was that AA was dragged out to the bitter end and was axed as soon as the next issue was projected to make a loss, hence no goodbye. Being an anorak I only purchased AA towards the end out of loyalty. I suspect i wasn't alone. I really wish they had dropped the covertape as the magazine was reduced to a cheap leaflet. It was odd that Future allowed (due to the fact it was their first mag) AA to go on and on but didn't cut the magazine short a few issues earlier to allow a goodbye. In the final issue there was no indication it was the final issue!

Your Sinclair got a proper final issue (although it was much healthier) and so did CF. I'm surprised CF lasted as long as it did as it was effectivly run as one magazine alongside AA. When AA went I thought CF would go at the same time.

The news of the closure was published, oddly, in Commodore Format. As if any self respecting AA reader would read CF? In fact in one issue of AA the team were seen burning issues of CF!
I think your right, the magazine itself was pulled midway thru production (issue 118) as a loss was reported, I remember seeing the phamplet style magazines in WH Smith wondering how long would it go on for and then out the blue just not seeing it all. The final issue of AA also had a next month box and on a website somewhere, there's talk of what was on Issue 118's covertape.

I don't think Future would have kept AA going because it was their baby on that reason alone as they would have pulled Commodore Format along time previously. Both mags are connected in timeline from 1994 onwards in terms of price and pages. It seems even half way thru 1994, both magazines were healthy but both could only manage 22 pages each by the time 1995 had hit.

You might get a few complaints about the quote that Your Sinclair got their proper final issue as did Commodore Format. Your Sinclair (as you may know) quadrupled their page count although minus their covertape to say goodbye. Commodore Format on the other hand managed a titter of 22 pages with a few small goodbyes.

Commodore Format managed just two more issues than Amstrad Action and as you mentioned AA's goodbye was found in CF with a quote about if people were getting worried if CF went to which the reply was "well if your happy to pay £3.25 a month then we are happy to produce the magazine" P.R. eh!

lemon-rev

Post by lemon-rev » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:15 am

ok sorry about all the fuss with amstrad action i didnt mean to cause such an upror, i have collected it since tape 2, (got tape 1 from newsagent that haddent had the mag) few tapes left over, anyway this link tells a brief part in history about the amstrad action so u can all see what happend, also, the verry last mag that they where ment to bring out did acually hit the shores of the english, but it had an infected tape which killed the main operation of the amstrad cpc series, i was trying to find out how i got the information, but i did find it, out, anyway sorry to cause soo much trouble.

http://www.futureplc.com/future/aboutus ... .jsp?all=1

Company history 1985 to 1989

From an idea for one computer magazine to an international special-interest magazine publisher with over 100 titles in the UK, US, France and Italy.

i was only trying to say that the glossy and old style of the mag which reminded me of the old mag, but we shall see about the new, look , i do like it a lot, and i am pleased that so many others know about the mag as well. there i will leave it at that for now, thanks anyway yea.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:11 pm

merman wrote:
mr.zzapback wrote:should one also write 'Retro* Gamer' then? :shock:
Nah, just call it New Retro Gamer, or NRG for short :D
And indeed XS NRG has already been the name of a magazine although I doubt even anyone here is sad enough to remember who by.
The cover of the mag looks like one mag i got a while ago called 'Amstrad Action' relating to all things amstrad, since i still have 2 that are fully operational and loading times from tape or disk now, are either 10 to 2 mins in loading, hope to see all the old pplz back in the forum again. i am also a bit shocked at how many pplz have already said something since last night, mytime or during the day, cause i know i have been keeping a keen eye on this site as to when it was going to open. anyway enough. see what happens on next mag or when issue 19 arrives in hand. thanks.
The last few issues of Amstrad Action (little know now dispite being the very first magazine produced by that behmoth future publishing) were some of the best magazine design I've ever seen. By that stage they were packing the mag into 24 pages and it was still fabulous.

That said, I don't see the design simularities.

This was their last ever issue, I think in hindsight they'd admit the cover headline was probably an error since at the time they didn't KNOW it was the last issue.
AA to the end eh.... 22 pages, covertape at £3.25 per month, they just needed a finale issue.
To be fair, only 117 was £3.25, it was £2.95 as late as 116.

Ash

Post by Ash » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:34 am

I'd say that the old RG (Issues 1 - 18) were much more similar to Amstrad Action. Especially the design of the inside pages which were almost identical really.

AA was a great mag by the way and one of many from that era that far outlived its shelf life. Amiga Format is another magazine that springs to mind, being cancelled in 2000, 6 years after commodore went under, was a great achievement. I wish magazines were more like that these days. To see Cube cancelled a whole year before the GameCube has ceased production is heart breaking.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:08 am

Ash wrote:I'd say that the old RG (Issues 1 - 18) were much more similar to Amstrad Action. Especially the design of the inside pages which were almost identical really.

AA was a great mag by the way and one of many from that era that far outlived its shelf life. Amiga Format is another magazine that springs to mind, being cancelled in 2000, 6 years after commodore went under, was a great achievement. I wish magazines were more like that these days. To see Cube cancelled a whole year before the GameCube has ceased production is heart breaking.
Yes but cube wasn't the best selling Cube title. You'd be better off comparing it to Amtix.

The other issue is that for the cube all you can do is write about games, when they stop coming, you stop having a mag, the last hillarious staggerings of Amiga Power proved that.

If AA had to write about games and games only they were gone in 1992. Dave, Tim, Linda and Karen pushed the mag in a more serious direction and it really ensured their survivial.

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:24 pm

Dudley wrote:
Ash wrote:I'd say that the old RG (Issues 1 - 18) were much more similar to Amstrad Action. Especially the design of the inside pages which were almost identical really.

Yes but cube wasn't the best selling Cube title. You'd be better off comparing it to Amtix.

The other issue is that for the cube all you can do is write about games, when they stop coming, you stop having a mag, the last hillarious staggerings of Amiga Power proved that.

If AA had to write about games and games only they were gone in 1992. Dave, Tim, Linda and Karen pushed the mag in a more serious direction and it really ensured their survivial.
Very true. Amiga Format and CU Amiga carried on for years with one game review per month because they could fill the mag with home computing articles. The console titles don't have that luxury and there's only so long that a GameCube title can fill its pages with GBA, NDS and Revolution stuff.

Rikki

Post by Rikki » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:23 pm

Cover is awesome, what better am image to grab your attention away from Lucy Pinders jugs whilst browsing the shelf than a mint condition Sinclair!

R.

daxtrajero

Post by daxtrajero » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:26 pm

I think the cover for the Christmas edition was a missed opportunity.

I say that because I think back with fondness at the special christmas cover C&VG and Zzap did back in the 80's

Would've loved a little snow somewhere on the Issue 19 cover!

LeeT

Re:

Post by LeeT » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:40 pm

daxtrajero wrote: Would've loved a little snow somewhere on the Issue 19 cover!
Top Tip:

Simply contact a friend or relative with a bad dandruff problem. Hold your copy of RG under their head and get them to scratch and shake their head, causing a snowfall on your magazine. When you need to open the mag, simply keep the 'snowflakes' in a spare jamjar.