The cover (issue 19)

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

cheeky_muffin

Re:

Post by cheeky_muffin » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:15 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I see your point, but you have to remember that a lot of people fear change. So we kept familiar elements, in order to keep people happy.
I see where your coming from too but then to keep people happy approach then wouldn't it been best to keep the original logo then? (or is that the original logo I can see in the top right hand side of the cover)

I think that if your going to have a new logo, probably would have gone with a new font and colours with the Old bit. Trouble is, the magazine won't be familar as such as there will not be the familar covermount CD on the front. Still, I'm not knocking it, I'm looking forward to phase II,

Keith S

Post by Keith S » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:43 pm

Looks great to me.

Familiar elements with a more upmarket image :) .

andy vaisey

Re:

Post by andy vaisey » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:58 pm

Keith S wrote:Looks great to me. Familiar elements with a more upmarket image :) .
Couldn't have said that better myself! I really do like the look! Not knocking the previous people, but already the "older" mags look dated compared to this... imo... :)

Markie

Post by Markie » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:32 am

thanks for the cover feedback guys... we take everything you say on board.

Just to give you a little insight into the cover, and the mag style overall...

The take was to create a modern 're-imagined' retro gamer that would stand up alongside the console mags of today. That our beloved mag is a multi-format mag which just happens to cover computers and console formats not found in the 'up to date' mags at the mo.

The cover and logo was deliberately designed to reflect the feel of the old logo and styling including taking some direct aspects such as the spine building up and the 'old' (which we all just loved!).
My problem with the old RG logo when looking at the styling of the mag was that it screamed Atari! And old. I love that 70s style font style but I wanted something that would evoke that feel without actually feeling a bias towards one format. Plus the cover had to work on the very competitive mag shelves of WHSmiths etc... and feel 'new'. After all, I hope after you seeing it properly that you see that this mag is a very forward looking retro mag. Though I did stop short of putting 'under new management' on the cover ! heh!

I went through 48 (count 'em!) cover designs and logos before coming up with the one which you sneaky sods got an early look at! :wink:
We might at some point show you the 'RG that never was' concept work...

As for the asterisk... well... another little thing which was individual to the old RG, which we just loved for nostalgia reasons...

Overall there may be things you loved about the old RG which has gone, but I hope there's loads about the new RG that you'll come to love. I guess in some sense it's a new mag, with a strong clear focus, which just happens to relate to the old RG.

Anyone who loves the new re-invented "Battlestar Galactica" TV show (like I do) will know what I mean!

Anyway... hope you like it as much as we loved putting it together.

Cheers all... roll on 8th Dec!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:24 am

Cor blimey Markie!

If the mag is as good as the new Battlestar Galactica - then its going to be THE mag of the decade!

Come 8th Dec...........................

Fandenivoldsk

Post by Fandenivoldsk » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:54 am

Sounds cool, Markie! I'm convinced that everything coming from the man who used to layout Zzap! is going to rock!

But remember to fix the (small) bug in the "R" in "GameR" logo, that mr.zzapback pointed out a few days ago.

mr.zzapback

Re:

Post by mr.zzapback » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:09 am

Fandenivoldsk wrote:Sounds cool, Markie! I'm convinced that everything coming from the man who used to layout Zzap! is going to rock!

But remember to fix the (small) bug in the "R" in "GameR" logo, that mr.zzapback pointed out a few days ago.
Yeah, well, I guess it's not in the vectorized logo, but more a (minor?) 'problem' when it's turned into pixels. (this happens sometimes).
It looks a bit like a unsharp bump. (at least on my PC's)
I'd make that leg in that particular 'R' entirely straight, if possible?

Maybe I'm too nitpicky though... 8)

merman

Post by merman » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:52 am

I like the new logo & cover, and it does look like the old one updated which is great.

I was led to believe the * was there to distinguish it from a certain fanzine of a similar sounding name...

mr.zzapback

Post by mr.zzapback » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:00 am

should one also write 'Retro* Gamer' then? :shock:

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:32 am

CraigGrannell wrote:Well, I knew that short of smacking Markie repeatedly over the head with a think plank, he was always going to come up with something good. This cover looks smart and sophisticated—like a grown-up version of the old mag, although not quite so grown-up that it needs a pipe and slippers. Short of the inside being created entirely in Crayola-vision, I'm thinking the mag's going to look very nice indeed.

Gold star for Markie: *
The really odd thing is that I had a dream about reading the new RG last night, and in that dream it looked pretty much like that photo!

Slightly disturbing as I had now idea what it would look like unit I saw the new cover.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:48 am

All fear chinnyhill10's psychic powers!

What were the inside pages like?
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:50 am

mr.zzapback wrote:should one also write 'Retro* Gamer' then? :shock:
Nah, just call it New Retro Gamer, or NRG for short :D

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:02 am

NRG sounds like Energy to me. In fact, that sounds like a name for a Disco.

mr.zzapback

Post by mr.zzapback » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:10 pm

Nah, sounds like a power drink!
*Creator of the DEF Tribute to Zzap!64* www.zzapback.com*

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:46 pm

And, scarily, it's only one letter away from NGJ. *brrr*
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com