Official feedback thread for Retro Gamer 79

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Denny Haynes

Re: Official feedback thread for Retro Gamer 79

Post by Denny Haynes » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:24 pm

TMR wrote:
Denny Haynes wrote:. Loved the homebrew as always but where was the Knightlore review? :(
i have three machines with different video cards - it seriously crashes and burns before the game even starts on all three so i simply can't review it...
Ah ok, shame maybe a patch is on the way :(
I,m gonna live forever or die trying!

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:54 pm

fulgenzio wrote:Can someone post the cover in jpg format, please?
Lousy screen grab from Darran's video.

I don't think we can get a good HQ image until the issue goes on sale next week in the online shop, unless someone here can scan it.
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

Andy_2_cool

Post by Andy_2_cool » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:22 pm

There you go :) I had nother better to do ^_^

*********************************************************************************

Kai

Post by Kai » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:21 am

Beautiful cover!!! And the "ultimate guide to" feature is totally brilliant! More of this, please! :mrgreen:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:15 am

Kai wrote:Beautiful cover!!! And the "ultimate guide to" feature is totally brilliant! More of this, please! :mrgreen:
Glad to hear people are liking The Ultimate Guide :)

We do have more lined up, so expect to see them at least every other issue.

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:06 am

Andy_2_cool wrote:There you go :) I had nother better to do ^_^
Much nicer!
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

killert2010

Post by killert2010 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:48 am

I'm not a sub so i'm having to wait. Oh well haven't read last issue anyway. Subbing soon I hope
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US YOU MISERABLE LITTLE PILE OF SECRETS

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:50 am

Hope the cover is as good as it looks from the scan here.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:54 am

it is a nice cover - last months dull Lara Croft effort was bit flat - love that the hectic colour is back!

mrspud

Post by mrspud » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:01 pm

Brill issue. So much good stuff. Best for a while. Massive thumbs up. The Gamate article (that was unexpected!) is the crowning glory of one of the best issues of the year. More obscure things please!
New Amiga, SAM Coupé and Speccy games available at http://blackjet.co.uk

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:01 pm

The new issue is incredible, it was waiting at the office for me this morning from the post on Saturday, and I’ve read half of it already. Giving Rainbow Islands to cover was inspired, and a bold move for a bit of an underdog title, as was the article on the game itself which was spot on, and as for the making of micro machines….perfect! Have literally just put the issue down now to write this post. It’s good also as the last issue left me a bit cold...well, more than cold. I didnt find all that much init, and that's not happend before

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:08 pm

Not that it matters, but I think it's a rather dull cover and lacking the little touches that other screenshot-type covers (eg Gauntlet/Outrun) have had - things like working the issue number into the graphics for example.

I also feel that to there's too much Rainbow Islands coverage in the same issue; definitely like the idea of the "Ultimate Guide" (and the presentation is lovely), but hope it doesn't always appear with another article on the same game in the same issue.

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:10 pm

Regarding the Gamate feature - before I submitted it I was looking all over the net for an advert I know I'd seen way back in the day.

I wanted a Gamate so badly when it was released that I even cut the ad out and stuck it on my bedroom wall in the hope that staring at it would result in my parents purchasing one for me. It's probably for the best that they didn't, but here's the ad in question, taken from the pages of Crash magazine - I really wish I'd been able to include this in the piece!

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:20 pm

Gabe wrote:I also feel that to there's too much Rainbow Islands coverage in the same issue; definitely like the idea of the "Ultimate Guide" (and the presentation is lovely), but hope it doesn't always appear with another article on the same game in the same issue.
Respectfully, I couldn’t disagree more dude, I loved the ultimate guide tieing in with lets all play, and the cover….but then again, I love that title, so I do see your point.

Hmmm…

I guess if the issue was taken up with as many pages dedicated to something I don’t give two dogs d*cks about, like Lemmings or whatever, then I wouldn’t be best pleased. But then it’s luck of the draw at the end of the day, depends on what each issue brings, and who knows, a good article, and other readers passion is sometimes enough to make you revisit a title you once hated, or possibly overlooked, and get back on favourable terms with it.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:40 pm

Sepp Salerno wrote:
Gabe wrote:I also feel that to there's too much Rainbow Islands coverage in the same issue; definitely like the idea of the "Ultimate Guide" (and the presentation is lovely), but hope it doesn't always appear with another article on the same game in the same issue.
Respectfully, I couldn’t disagree more dude, I loved the ultimate guide tieing in with lets all play, and the cover….but then again, I love that title, so I do see your point.

Hmmm…

I guess if the issue was taken up with as many pages dedicated to something I don’t give two dogs d*cks about, like Lemmings or whatever, then I wouldn’t be best pleased. But then it’s luck of the draw at the end of the day, depends on what each issue brings, and who knows, a good article, and other readers passion is sometimes enough to make you revisit a title you once hated, or possibly overlooked, and get back on favourable terms with it.
I'd hold the same opinion whether I love or hate a game; by way of example, there isn't a single game I would say I liked in the whole of this issue, but that won't stop me from reading about each and every one of them (including the Rainbow Islands stuff). But even with a game I adore (let's say Shining Force, for example) I think 6 pages is probably enough - that way it gives scope for further articles down the line. 10 pages just seems excessive to me.