Official feedback thread for Retro Gamer 79

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Retro Gamer 79

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:23 am

Alien III: The Gun wasn't included because it's Alien III The Gun and not Alien III.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:17 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Alien III: The Gun wasn't included because it's Alien III The Gun and not Alien III.
Been ages since i played it on MAME, forgot 'The Gun' tag. :oops:

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:58 am

Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god.

You interviewed David Crane

Oh my god, oh my god

Thank you Mr Hunt, thank you so much

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:54 pm

Got my issue at about 3.30pm today (a new record late for my postie, the lazy tw@).

Fantastic cover and great Rainbow Islands guide. Really pleased to see the Kikstart feature, and looking forward to reading the Superior Software and Micro Machines articles. First impressions are that is a v strong issue, but 100% for SMG2 ????

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:26 pm

Looks like I need to get reading myself. I haven't even cracked #78 yet because I'm waist deep in the Games TM retro spectacular. :D
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:47 pm

Nice bright cover, I often find the first half of the mag is full of ads and a lot of the good stuff is later on. Thanks for Atari support with the look at Star Raiders!

Timothy Lumsden

Re: Official feedback thread for Retro Gamer 79

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:44 pm

just realised I forgot to compliment another cracking 'From the Archives' in my original post.

Ditto for They Sold A Million. For skint schoolkids, these compilations really stretched the cash, and They Sold A Million was my favourite on the Amstrad.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:39 pm

The Micro Machines article was a nice suprise well done :D

fulgenzio

Post by fulgenzio » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:53 pm

Can someone post the cover in jpg format, please?

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:03 pm

I really liked the tributes to Chris Sievey and Jonathan Smith at the start....2 legends who will be sorely missed by the community. :(

Also enjoyed the feature about the Cheetah Gamate. I'd totally forgotten about that handheld, I remember now that it used to be advertised in Crash magazine a lot...never went for it as I already had a Gameboy by that point.

The Super Mario Galaxy 2 review is spot on too. 8)
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:57 am

Had mine yesterday morning and pretty much read it cover to cover, also good to see a David Crane interview...

Glad you kept the unconverted - unusual see to Exerciser reviewed.. I remember good old CU and there left wing politics's reviewing Exerciser in Arcade Action and calling for it to be boycotted! Supposedly it was the sickest game ever due to the Space Invaders Screen with the giant Space Woman, who where invincible to bullets, and could only be killed when there legs where open.. I always enjoyed playing it in Porthcawl I never even noticed it to be anything other than a Galaxian type game
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:16 am

Loved the issue (I got mine yesterday as well). Had a read of the They Sold A Million compilation, and I've got two them on the C64 and the Spectrum one. They were fantastic value for money back then, and even more so now. Classic.
Great issue all round.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

merman

Post by merman » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:47 pm

Great issue, the Rainbow Islands piece was fantastic, the Gamate Retroinspection was very interesting and I read it cover to cover in just a couple of hours. Jealous that Craig got to do the Kikstart feature.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Denny Haynes

Post by Denny Haynes » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Stunning issue, quite simply stunning. Where do i start............

. The colourful covers of one of my faves gets things off to a great start.
. Nice tribute.
. Still enjoying Iain lees and Paul Davies pages but i still feel this could be condensed to one page, i do add i'm rather nick picking there, would miss the features if they went.
. Enjoyed the Nintendo feature at E3.
. Doom 3, 6 years old :O The retro diary always shocks me how long some games have been out.
. Back to the 80's n 90's great read as always.
. Now then you have a major fan here for your new feature The ultimate guide, not one thing i'd change or add. MORE PLEASE!!! :D
. Lunar lander making of top notch, very interesting read.
. Same name different game continues to keep me reading, surely this must have cost companies fortunes to do different versions :?
. Love the arcades and sadly miss them, great Centipede and Elevator action features.
. Great idea to tie in the ultimate guide to Lets all play, maybe an idea to do this every time, seems to gell rather well together!
. The unconverted back again yay, more please, you seem to find games i haven't played on mame which turn out to be rather enjoyable :wink:
. David crane.. in the chair, excellent.
. Retrorevival was a lot better this month, better resolution on the pictures, much better this way for me anyway.
. Loved the homebrew as always but where was the Knightlore review? :(

So all in all a terrific issue, the only think missing that would have put a cherry on top would have been a coin op caper feature, hopefully this returns next month.

To Darren and the rest of the guys, a big thanks, to produce this quality must mean burning the candle at both ends, heres one who enjoys and appreciates the effort.

Denny
I,m gonna live forever or die trying!

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:09 pm

Denny Haynes wrote:. Loved the homebrew as always but where was the Knightlore review? :(
i have three machines with different video cards - it seriously crashes and burns before the game even starts on all three so i simply can't review it...