Official feedback thread for Retro Gamer 79

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Stuart@retrogamer

Re: Official feedback thread for Retro Gamer 79

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:00 am

Imhotep wrote:The Ultimate guide series is excellent and I hope it continues, after reading the article it inspired me to play Rainbow Islands and I was hoping somebody out there can answer a couple of quick questions about the Taito Legends PS2 version that I have of Rainbow Islands - 1) I thought the in-game music was "Somewhere over the Rainbow" , but this appears to be some obscure tune, copyright reasons ? 2) Are the secret island levels on this version - I was assuming it was an arcade carbon copy but with the different music i'm not so sure - thanks in advance.
Cheers, glad you enjoyed the feature. The music was altered in the Taito Legends version, and I believe this was for copyright reasons. I'm also pretty sure that this version features the three secret islands, though I can't be 100% certain of that - I'm going by memory.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:04 pm

Yer David Crane photos are always worth a look - geeky but a touch sinister.

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:56 pm

Stuart@retrogamer wrote:
Imhotep wrote:The Ultimate guide series is excellent and I hope it continues, after reading the article it inspired me to play Rainbow Islands and I was hoping somebody out there can answer a couple of quick questions about the Taito Legends PS2 version that I have of Rainbow Islands - 1) I thought the in-game music was "Somewhere over the Rainbow" , but this appears to be some obscure tune, copyright reasons ? 2) Are the secret island levels on this version - I was assuming it was an arcade carbon copy but with the different music i'm not so sure - thanks in advance.
Cheers, glad you enjoyed the feature. The music was altered in the Taito Legends version, and I believe this was for copyright reasons. I'm also pretty sure that this version features the three secret islands, though I can't be 100% certain of that - I'm going by memory.

I thought it would be to do with copyright issues, only one way to find out if the hidden islands are there, play the game all the way through, although it would be a bit disappointing if they aren't. I guess I could try Rainbow Islands on MAME, which is a good site to download such things (if you are allowed to say on these forums) .

Maybe a Bubble Bobble follow up ultimate guide could be produced at some point too, although i'm sure there must be a bit of queue of titles to be included .

Stuart@retrogamer

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:52 am

We do have more in the pipeline. I could tell you more but that would ruin the surprise. If you decide to play through the Taito Legends version let me know what you find - I'm curious now.

big-byte

Post by big-byte » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:12 am

Very good issue. I read it on my daily commute to london and do notice people staring at the front cover.

Ive got one question about the Namco Pacman watch that was featured. It states that you can get it from clubnamco but when you go to that website, they dont ship anything at all outside of USA.

Does anyone know where else this item can be bought. It says they imported the watch from Japan so there must be a shop there that does international delivery.

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:59 pm

I've just read the letters page and was confused about the Vic-20 being a "poor man's C64". How can a computer that came out first be a poor man's version of a later machine?

Would you describe the Atari VCS as a poor man's Megadrive, or a ZX80 as a poor man's PS3?

I had a Vic-20, which was the best thing (within reason) at the time, then I got a C64 when that came out. It's just a natural progression.

When the PS2 came out was the PlayStation described as a poor man's PS2? :?

It just seems a very odd thing to say, that's all.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:26 pm

Just finished reading issue 79 and I genuinely think it was the best issue of Retro Gamer to date!

Highlights for me were the excellently put together Lunar Lander piece, the article on Star Raiders (which I hadn't heard of but now totally understand the excitement over thanks to what must have been very time consuming research done by it's author), the brilliant (as always) definitive and on a favourite of mine - Centipede. Great game, great writing. The story of the obscure Gamemate handheld, the very interesting Superior Software introspective, the in depth David Crane interview, generous spreads covering Micro Machines and Kikstart, the list just goes on and on!

In short, I'm a very happy subscriber! :D

Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0

Post by Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: Rainbow Islands music. The version in Taito Legends is about as close to the original as you're going to get. It's just the backing track without the melody playing over the top (sorry, don't know the correct musical term!). Much better than putting on a completely different track like in say, the GBC or MD versions, which I think takes a lot away from the game.

Interesting issue, one of my faves. I like the way that the opinion of Rainbow Islands, in both the run down and the 'Lets All Play' feature was balanced. At the time, people claimed that it was the best thing ever and, despite being pretty darn good, it really wasn't. Years later and I'm firmly in the camp that believes Bubble Bobble was a better game.

I thought the questions to David Crane could have been better. This guy made Pitfall!, GB and the like but the questions are very vague and not specific at all. Oh well.

Going back to the best game ever argument... 100% for Mario Galaxy 2?! Oh, cheers, RG! You're just KILLING my savings account now! :D

I did see an early version at a show a couple of months back mind and have no reason not to believe it is really that great. Fair play for making the best possible score attainable. As Darran has explained his ratings method, if RG believed to be the best possible platform game, of course it should be able to get 100%. Opinions could change down the line (like when the next Mario comes out) but for now, it's no.1. (I quite liked in Crash how a good would get a Crash Smash and over 90% upon first release but two years later, when it got the budget release, would get a much lower rating as expectations were higher. My point is, reviews should not be seen as gospel and things change.)

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:40 pm

Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 wrote:Opinions could change down the line (like when the next Mario comes out) but for now, it's no.1. (I quite liked in Crash how a good would get a Crash Smash and over 90% upon first release but two years later, when it got the budget release, would get a much lower rating as expectations were higher. My point is, reviews should not be seen as gospel and things change.)
This is an excellent point.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:11 pm

Stuart@retrogamer wrote:We do have more in the pipeline. I could tell you more but that would ruin the surprise. If you decide to play through the Taito Legends version let me know what you find - I'm curious now.
I certainly intend to attempt to try and get through Rainbow Islands on the PS2 at some point, and if I succeed I will certainly let you know if the secret islands are there or not.

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:50 pm

I'm dying to read the David Crane interview. My sub copy of 79 was lost in the mail and my local bookstore still hasn't recieved any copies.

davyK

Post by davyK » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:45 pm

Loved this issue. I'm a big fan of most of the games that got attention - particularly Rainbow Islands and Lunar Lander - can remember playing that in the arcade. I've given RG a miss the last while but I'm seriously thinking of subbing now.

Re the Rainbow Islands article - I'm surprised the Bubble Bobble/Rainbow Islands pack for the Saturn (and PS1?) didn't get a mention. It has an enhanced Rainbow Islands mode as a bonus which has very busy backgrounds which can be a pain. Anyone know if Rainbow Islands on Saturn/PS1 has the extra 3 islands?

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:35 pm

I'm at the age now when the littlest things annoy me! :x
So regarding the next bit, you can take from this that I enjoyed the rest of the mag. :wink:

It concerns the "They Sold a Million" article. I don't have it to hand so I'm going to make up the quotes (they're extremely close though).

Regarding the differences between the different games on different formats.........
"While the Spectrum had SabreWulf, The C64 version had to make do with Staff of Karnath........ not as good as Ultimate's offering"

?????
This is a tiny thing. Maybe even a word had been misplaced but as I say, the smallest things are starting to get right on my t*ts!

Sorry! :oops:

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:01 pm

BTW, there is a nice interview with David Crane in Games Developer Magazine (April issue?). He also has his say on The Big Crash.