Official feedback thread for Retro Gamer 79

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Fred83

Re: Official feedback thread for Retro Gamer 79

Post by Fred83 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:39 pm

Mirco Machines article was interesting,specially reading about the problems people had years ago about burning data to cd.Cheers for asking ghostbusters question,and kudos for not picking guides.We have game faqs and youtube for help guides :D
Last edited by Fred83 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:02 pm

All in all -not a bad little issue, Crane, Star Raiders; oooooh I'm so sorry -I think I've just cum!

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:24 pm

at the end of the day a review can often be meaningless as gaming is a personal experiece. I've bought some games which got high marks and didnt like them at all - other times I took a punt on something that got poor reviews and found it was just great (for me). Apart from truly broken games, it's all pretty a cr@pshoot really.

the nice thing about retro games is that at least we've all had 10 or 20 years to savour the game before giving our verdict!

DRS

Post by DRS » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:08 am

Just wanted to say how good the Star Raiders piece was. Nicely written and a real insight into an 'important' game (which I for one knew little about apart from lots of programmers saying it was 'important'... I feel better informed now). Top work.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:02 am

Stuart@retrogamer wrote: Flicking though some old game mags for inspiration last month, at one stage we actually considered naming it the Super Mega Guide. Thank god we came to our senses.
Funny though, I remember us thinking it was the greatest idea in the world at the time.
That's a great idea! Super Mega Guide X-Treme would be even better.
greenberet79 wrote:On buying the latest issue from WHSmith the lad serving said "Whooaa old school". And then told me that the first game he ever played was on the Atari Jaguar. I didn't know what to make of it all. He didn't LOOK that young - maybe he just didn't play games when he was a kid. I'm still confused about the whole exchange.
Interesting that the first game he played was on a Jaguar and not, say, a Mega Drive or PlayStation. Good for him!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:10 pm

Thanks for the kind words re the Star Raiders piece folks. As a long-term admirer of the game it was great to hear some of Doug's memories, and I'm chuffed to have it alongside Pauls' spiffy Luner Lander article, Stu's Def Centipede and David Crane. An Atari love-fest this issue!

Btw if any of you 2600 fans haven't yet tried Solaris do give it a go - an amazing feat of programming that.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:45 pm

don't know what the word count is, but this issue is dense - it seemed to take me twice as long to read this than any of the last four or five issues, and i found it all interesting - very impressive!

i think the only article that i didn't really connect with was the centipede one and thats more my fault, i've not played the game.

Mr Creosote

Post by Mr Creosote » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:42 pm

Loved it especially the Star Raiders feature-so much so that I went and dug my old Atari 400 out and the original cartridge out of the loft-switched on and hey presto it still worked-after nearly 30 years!

Dear god, where's the time gone?

First game I ever bought for the system back in 1982 for the then steep price of £30.00*......no budget games, downloads, PSN/XBOX LIVE then folks!

*Steep? Effing vertical more like!

nomad73

Post by nomad73 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:48 pm

Have to say, on the David Crane interview....

Very informative, the bloke's obviously a genius, but my god - if I had to spend a few hours in his company, you'd find his legs peeking out of my veggy patch. Came across as very arrogant!

Hate mail to.....

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:29 pm

nomad73 wrote:Have to say, on the David Crane interview....

Very informative, the bloke's obviously a genius, but my god - if I had to spend a few hours in his company, you'd find his legs peeking out of my veggy patch. Came across as very arrogant!

Hate mail to.....
Single minded and driven I think are the words. A lot of creative genius types come over like that. :wink:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:43 am

I'm only half way through, but I've enjoyed almost everything so far, but I have to say I'm disappointed in the Micro Machines article.

I used to play this quite a lot on my Amiga, and me and my friends used to have two player games on it. The article completely fails to mention that it was out on the Amiga (it's not listed in the "Platform:" part), and even though they mention that Deluxe Paint was used to make the graphics, there was no mention of the Amiga game (which got review scores around 90%) or how it compared to the other versions. Some obscure versions were mentioned with details of the changes, so I was reading it thinking "The Amiga version must be next", but then it ended :?
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

clarance

Post by clarance » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:14 pm

Great issue as always my loves, but -

No mention of the freebies that came with World Cup Carnival in the Retro Shamer bit - that was the reason most of the kids I knew bought it at the time. And more importantly, no mention of the Commodore 16 version of the game - truly one of the worst games I have ever seen.

And some more great mugshots of David Crane. It's always a joy to leaf through the pages of RG every month, content in the knowledge that Mr C's super smile will spring out at me from somewhere...

In fact, can we have a spread solely featuring a photo parade of scary looking developers please... or maybe even some pull-out posters?
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:42 am

Very nice issue. I liked a lot the Rainbow Island feature and the fact that after a few pages the LAP thing was about the same game.

By the way, I could have helped Stuart Campbell on his Centipede feature, because I've come out with the punchline he was looking for:
When in a garden full of mushrooms and insects, how do you know that a cat has also been there? If you can notice the scent 'e peed...

No, don't thank me... this is the side effect of having to get up at 5 a.m. this morning. :D

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:07 pm

Just wanted to say many thanks for the excellent Superior Software article, never thought i'd see that in Retro Gamer, in possible in the future a "From the Archives" feature on the likes of Audiogenic, 4th Dimension and also Krisalis Software would be interesting, Krisalis released loads of games across all platforms, but for some reason they ported loads of Amiga games to the Archimedes, and for that I was very grateful !

The Ultimate guide series is excellent and I hope it continues, after reading the article it inspired me to play Rainbow Islands and I was hoping somebody out there can answer a couple of quick questions about the Taito Legends PS2 version that I have of Rainbow Islands - 1) I thought the in-game music was "Somewhere over the Rainbow" , but this appears to be some obscure tune, copyright reasons ? 2) Are the secret island levels on this version - I was assuming it was an arcade carbon copy but with the different music i'm not so sure - thanks in advance.

Also liked the Micro Machines article, played that loads on the PS1. Finally thanks for reviewing those "new" BBC games in the homebrew section, I wouldn't of known they existed otherwise.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:42 pm

Bought my issue online, it arrived mere minutes before Ieft for holiday and I took it with me, the slight damp problem in the accomodation slightly ruining the pages :x

Anyway...

Really liked the Rainbow Islands features. It's not a game that I've played before but I definitely want to give it a go now which I suppose means that the articles were a success. Excluding MAME for the moment, is the version on the PS2 Taito Legends compilation a good way to play the game? I'd prefer the full arcade version with secrets as opposed to the numerous ports from the era.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.