Official feedback thread for Retro Gamer 79

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Official feedback thread for Retro Gamer 79

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:55 pm

Coming atcha like Cleopatra

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArwO3D0_tF0

Dunjohn

Re: Retro Gamer 79

Post by Dunjohn » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:40 pm

Well, I certainly won't miss that on the shelf. I'll probably be able to see it through the magazine it's behind. This one's kinda snuck up on me, I've been busy lately and haven't even finished the last issue. Being three hundred miles away from it hasn't helped, either.

I'm liking the sound of "Ultimate Guide To."

Micro Machines, FINALLY!
It's called a MEGADRIVE

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:57 pm

Oh FFS - I still haven't read 75 yet!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:34 am

Yup, JUST finished the Prince of Persia issue yesterday, so I'm starting this month's in time for the new one arriving.

My two year old has started flipping through my issues of retro gamer looking for pictures of Mario & Sonic & "People made out of Lego" (i.e. any characters made with 8-bit pixels!). She's obsessed with rainbows at the minute, she'll have a field day when this issue arrives! :D

Oh and is that World Cup Carnival I spied in Retro Shamer? JOY!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Wil

Post by Wil » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:22 am

Rainbow Islands, Lunar Lander and Starfox 64! I'm in, like Flynn.

Great cover, too :)

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:43 pm

That is an amazing cover! Classic retro.

I liked the Cleopatra reference as well. Though they were a poor man's Daphne and Celeste if you ask me.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:10 am

Can't wait to read the David Crane piece.
Does this issue mark the first time a reviewed game received 100%?

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:24 am

Looks great and has dropped through my letter box this morning :)

XFile2708

Post by XFile2708 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:08 am

Yep mine arrived this morning as well - guess i'd better try and find the time to read through the last issue now :lol:

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:17 am

Had lost track of the days and pleasantly surprised to see this snuggling on my doormat.

STONKING GOOD ISSUE - well worth the effort of a bit of capslock there.

Looks like there is a lot in there this month - but the Gamate retrospection caught my eye - again the thrill of some piece of kit I never new about.

The Star Raider piece also jumped out, as this was game I spent endless hours on in a local retailer as young kid on a bolted down 800XL.

( Something that does trouble - an this isnt and RG specific thing more a general magazine observation - is the amount of review that seem mention controls being bad or fiddly and then give the game a reasonable mark. From a personal point of views bad controls=bad game. After all, if you cant interact with the game properly, it's not really a game, is it? Just a general thought. )

thanks
Timmy L.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:58 am

Already read quite a bit of this month's issue. A very strong one so far I think, and it is interesting that while I have been arguing for a bit of PS2/XBox/GC coverage in the mag, this issue does more to demonstrate that there is, as others have argued, scope in some of the very oldest games, most notably Star Raiders, which was a fascinating read.

I also enjoyed Craig's article on Kikstart - not a game I enjoyed particularly but I really liked Shaun's games overall, especially POD and Cosmic Causeway (which I preferred to Trailblazer).

I thought the Centipede article was interesting - at first it seemed an unpromising subject, lacking the sort of close connection between games in a series such as Gradius; the Definitive Guide to Gradius is one of the best articles RG has ever published in my opinion. However, there are a few of the trademark savage comments I have enjoyed over so many years from Stuart Campbell, most notably, for me, his vivid description of the people responsible for PSP Centipede. Had me in stitches. Does he practice his put-downs with Frankie Boyle?
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:11 pm

My copy arrived this morning.Fantastic!. Was truely humbled to read the tributes to 2 legends.Seems the world is a little less brighter with thier passing.Looking forward to reading the Gamemate, Star Raiders, Same name, Different game (No mention of sega`s Alien 3 coin op though? :? ) and Kikstart aticles (Currently loving PS3 Joe Danger, great to see that reviewed in same issue).Throw in the Unconverted, David Crane, etc and i believe it`s gonna be a STONKER for myself. Yet again there`s plenty for someone like myself, who`s never taken to the other key bits covered-Micro Machines and R.I, Great balance of features i feel.

Karnov

Post by Karnov » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:13 pm

Came this morning, along with Castlevania 2 on NES, so a great start to the day, especially as I am suffereing from one of the worst hangovers known to man and seriously thought I wasnt going to make it through the night.. urgh..

Great cover.. made me smile upon opening the sealed package while sitting on the toilet wishing I was dead.

Great issue, have read through all the bits I wanted to and will get to the rest during the evening..

GREAT ISSUE!!!

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:14 pm

Having an initial flick through it looks like a great issue. Very nice tribute piece to Joffa Smith and Chris Seivey, and a mighty, meaty, and indeed magnificent look at Micro Machines.
The Unconverted is fast becoming my favourite monthly feature, would love to see this expanded, a definitive for Centipede, perhaps not the most remarkable canon but a great game nontheless, from the Archives with Superior Software finally some proper love aimed at games for the BBC Micro, in the chair with the Legendary David Crane, and for all our Cousins over the pond an Endgame for MegaMan 2. Lots of other great stuff and regular features.

Loads of great stuff for everyone this month, well done chaps.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:16 pm

FatTrucker wrote:from the Archives with Superior Software finally some proper love aimed at games for the BBC Micro
Oops, forgot to mention that one - really enjoyed reading that too.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)