OFFER AND DEMAND: an issue about the issue

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:32 am

I agree with Darran , subscription is the obvious choice - and with short period subscriptions the risk is absolutely minimal for those worried about previous happenings with Live

Ps -I always thought RG was profitable at Live
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Weblaus

Re:

Post by Weblaus » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:32 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:RG is constantly monitored, so if it looks like it's not doing well in a particular area, then it will be pulled and tried somewhere else. The idea is to make sure you're getting maximum returns on what you're putting out, and thanks to the guys who are hard at work in the marketing department, this is being achieved.
I know what you're taling about, it's much the same with the magazines I'm wirking for... it's still a bit funny that Retro Gamer is pretty much the only UK gaming related magazine I know that's sold in the main train station of Munich with at least 4 issues available each month while decidedly less-niche titels like gamesTM are nowhere to be seen :)[/quote]
It's the same old story, but if you are having trouble getting hold of RG, then your best bet as always is to take out a subscription. It's only 2.50 an issue, renews every 3 months (on direct debit) and providing there isn't a hiccup like previously, should be as painless as possible.
You're forgetting one thing here, though: lucifershalo is from Belgium, where your subscrioption example doesn't work. Though I definitely agree that a subscription is the only way to go, especially if you're not based in the UK.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:19 pm

quote]
You're forgetting one thing here, though: lucifershalo is from Belgium, where your subscrioption example doesn't work. Though I definitely agree that a subscription is the only way to go, especially if you're not based in the UK.[/quote]

No I'm not, it was a general comment to everyone. I'm pushing through the six-monthly sub for people outside of the UK, so hopefully I'll have some news very soon.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:44 am

Hmmmm, I seem to remember Martyn Caroll telling us exactly the same thing some time back...........
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:52 am

Randall Flagg wrote:Hmmmm, I seem to remember Martyn Caroll telling us exactly the same thing some time back...........
What about a six month sub, or the mag going under?

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:04 am

The mag shouldn't go under all the while me and others are paying double the price to buy the mag from the shop. I buy RG every month without fail so you're making nearly double your money from me. Shouldn't you be encouraging people not to subscribe in oder to get more per issue?
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:58 pm

Randall Flagg wrote:The mag shouldn't go under all the while me and others are paying double the price to buy the mag from the shop. I buy RG every month without fail so you're making nearly double your money from me. Shouldn't you be encouraging people not to subscribe in oder to get more per issue?
You paying £4.99 in Smiths still means less money getting to Imagine than my £2.50 on sub.

And bear in mind they have to eat the costs of all the copies WhSmith throw away at the end of the month. (They don't send them back, they pull the covers off and send those back and ditch the rest). Imagine had to refund them in full for those copies.

(At least that's how Future, Live, Emap and Dennis all worked 2 years ago when I was involved in this kind of thing. I got my RG 1 and 2 for free (but coverless) because I pulled them out of the bin at work)
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

lucifershalo

what a waste

Post by lucifershalo » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:42 am

what an ecological nightmare :cry:
and a waste for me
if there was a system to send back to the publishers unsold magazines
I could have my issues 27 and 28 :wink:

Dudley

Re: what a waste

Post by Dudley » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:16 am

lucifershalo wrote:what an ecological nightmare :cry:
and a waste for me
if there was a system to send back to the publishers unsold magazines
I could have my issues 27 and 28 :wink:
Yep but no-one would take magazines because the postage cost of sending back the half that don't sell would nuke the profits.

You'd have imagine having to cover the sending back postage costs too which would mean even less money for them.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Szczepaniak

Re:

Post by Szczepaniak » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:02 am

Dudley wrote:
Szczepaniak wrote:I'd like to add, RG can't be doing badly. It's obviously doing well enough, since they've now put a full time staff writer on it. Trust us, things are going up, not down. :)
Yeah but not a good one.

I KID I KID!
You cheeky badger you. ;)

Anyway, I'd like to categorically state that Retro Gamer is healthy and will continue for the foreseeable future. I'm sure this was said by Live as well, but Imagine Publishing is the second biggest games mag publisher in the UK, so it won't be going down and taking RG with it.

Besides, RG's sales continue to go up, and we are making profit. Meaning it's not as if Imagine's other magazines need to carry it. We are standing strong on our own two feet.

If it were having trouble, my guess is they'd want to cut costs, not go to the trouble of hiring another staff member. Trust me when I say this, because it's my job on the line. RG staying afloat means a great deal to me, and right now I'm relaxed (well, as relaxed as tyou can be on deadline).

Furthermore, we have some very exciting things lined up for the future. I'm not allowed to say what exactly, but with the high quality content we're securing each month, there's no way that RG will get chopped any time soon. Actually, the first of many exciting things can be seen on the current "Next Month" page: official support from Capcom for some exciting articles.

Now, enough speculation about anyone going under. :)

jumpman

Re:

Post by jumpman » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:32 pm

Dudley wrote: And bear in mind they have to eat the costs of all the copies WhSmith throw away at the end of the month. (They don't send them back, they pull the covers off and send those back and ditch the rest). Imagine had to refund them in full for those copies.
Crumbs. Is that what's called Sale or Return? I always figured the publisher got them back to sell as back issues/recycle or whatever.

So they send them out and the newsagents takes no risk and doesn't return the product either?

I'm not criticising or anything, just curious.