OFFER AND DEMAND: an issue about the issue

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

lucifershalo

OFFER AND DEMAND: an issue about the issue

Post by lucifershalo » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:16 am

like you maybe saw in my previous topic, a mixup at the subscription dept made me miss 2 issues of RETRO GAMER,
so on august 24th, I am hunting for issue 28 (and 27) cause the publisher is sold out, being in Belgium, I called an friend in England he enquired with 2 newsagents...sold out
about 10-15 days after the magazine has come out, it is...out
so I am asking myself, if I miss that, how many other people have the same problem? how many potential readers are lost?
I know nothing about how many copies were printed? How healthy is the magazine? I can only have a customer point of view...Is the publisher too careful or is it a long plan strategy? Is there any strategy?
I dont know if I am opening a can of worms with this topic and that I will be banned from this forum but...
I like this magazine
I want it to survive
and I WANT TO FIND COPY OF ISSUES 27 AND 28 ....lol

SirClive

Re: OFFER AND DEMAND: an issue about the issue

Post by SirClive » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:26 am

lucifershalo wrote:I dont know if I am opening a can of worms with this topic and that I will be banned from this forum but...
I like this magazine
I want it to survive
and I WANT TO FIND COPY OF ISSUES 27 AND 28 ....lol
I think you are asking a fair question that a number of others on the forum have also asked. It worries me a little to see RG unavailable in some of the shops that used to have it.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:32 am

And it worries me a little that no-one (Darren) has made a comment regarding the number of threads that have popped up in the last month describing the same problem and tried to reassure us about RG's future..?

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:06 am

Crikey lads, calm down. I can personally vouch for the fact that there have always been copies for sale in Haywards Heath. No distribution problems here, and you couldn't get the old RG in HH at all.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:12 am

It's OK Revgiblet, I'm not in a panic or saying everything is all doom and gloom.. I have just had a lot of problems getting the issue myself in shops that normaly always have a few copies on the shelf right up till the next issue is due..

I just think it's a little strange..?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:25 am

A little strange, or just down to newsagents, distributors and Imagine revising their stocking situation - no point sending it to places where it rarely sells and gets returned, so most issues seem to have gone to hot spots?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:39 am

Yeah makes sense, but that would also suggest a thining out of distribution and that obtaining new readers is not high on the list of objectives for RG anymore..?

Does anyone know if Issue 28 had a lower print run than issues 23-24 for example..?
Most people seemed to pick them up easier than the last two issues...

Maybe RG has so many new readers that the mag is now harder to find in the shops because they are selling out in greater numbers faster..?

lucifershalo

sold out too

Post by lucifershalo » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:18 am

Did I mention, that IMAGINE is sold out of issues 27 and 28
an issue released for the moment!!!!!!

LeeT

Re: sold out too

Post by LeeT » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:35 am

lucifershalo wrote:Did I mention, that IMAGINE is sold out of issues 27 and 28
an issue released for the moment!!!!!!
Maybe they are just waiting for the unsold copies to come back to them before offering them as back issues?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:49 am

Right then, right then.
I'm posting here because my PC is extremely unreliable at home at often crashes.

Retro Gamer isn't going anywhere. Ever since it has started at Imagine Publishing, it's been constantly profitable (unlike Live, where it seldom, if ever made money) so if the magazine remains profitable then it is going to stay.

The main reason why some people are finding it hard to find the magazine is down to a number of contributing factors, most of which have been answered by the thread already.

When you have a magazine that's as niche as RG, you have to be extremely careful with its distribution, if you go down the live route and chuck thousands of thousands of copies out left right and centre (espeically overseas) you're going to have a problem quicker than you can say "hmm, we seem to be in a bit of financial trouble".

RG is constantly monitored, so if it looks like it's not doing well in a particular area, then it will be pulled and tried somewhere else. The idea is to make sure you're getting maximum returns on what you're putting out, and thanks to the guys who are hard at work in the marketing department, this is being achieved.

It's the same old story, but if you are having trouble getting hold of RG, then your best bet as always is to take out a subscription. It's only 2.50 an issue, renews every 3 months (on direct debit) and providing there isn't a hiccup like previously, should be as painless as possible.

Worry not though, RG isn't going anyway...

lucifershalo

who said poor management??

Post by lucifershalo » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:51 am

maybe they are waiting
but
1.never received a letter to ask me to renew my subscription
(maybe it was lost in the mail)
2.I called to renew it and they guaranteed that I will have issues 27 and up
3.received confirmation letter sub beginning with 29
they told me being sold out

if they cant propose me to wait for their returns then it is another mistake of their behalf

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:02 am

I'd like to add, RG can't be doing badly. It's obviously doing well enough, since they've now put a full time staff writer on it. Trust us, things are going up, not down. :)

lucifershalo

updown suite

Post by lucifershalo » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:49 am

(if someone gets my subject title....a msx cassette to be won...lol)

yes, Darran, if there isnt any hiccups :evil:

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:06 am

Szczepaniak wrote:I'd like to add, RG can't be doing badly. It's obviously doing well enough, since they've now put a full time staff writer on it. Trust us, things are going up, not down. :)
Yeah but not a good one.

I KID I KID!
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:43 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Right then, right then.
I'm posting here because my PC is extremely unreliable at home at often crashes.

Retro Gamer isn't going anywhere.
Cheers Darran, thats what a lot of us wanted to hear.
Its a shame that there has been these subscription renewal problems, as it sounds like everything other than that is rosey.