Back to the Eighties / Nineties comments

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Karnov

Back to the Eighties / Nineties comments

Post by Karnov » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:53 pm

Alway enjoy this feature in the mag as it takes me back to being a wee sprog buying the mags and playing the demo tapes...

But one thing I would say is that it is far to heavily biased toward the 8-bit home computers.. there should be much more covereage of the SMS & NES, with Charts of the top selling games of that time..

This months issue has no mention of the NES but in 1988 there were loads of kickass NES games!

So more NES / SMS & other consoles please..!

Thanks

necronom

Re: Back to the Eighties / Nineties comments

Post by necronom » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:12 pm

I'd say the opposite about the '90s page. I'm disappointed that the Amiga is hardly mentioned. To me the '80s (to late '87) is mainly about the C64 and Spectrum, and '87 to the mid '90s was the Amiga and ST, so seeing all this console stuff on the '90s page makes the whole thing about things I had no contact with at all. I can only just accept such a massive bias on the '90s page because the '80s page is so good. If the pages went even more to consoles, I'd be very unhappy.

I'm hoping some Amiga coverage will appear soon in the '80 pages as by mid 1988 (where it's up to at the moment) the C64 was almost a distant memory for me and the people I knew.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:19 pm

Karnov wrote:Alway enjoy this feature in the mag as it takes me back to being a wee sprog buying the mags and playing the demo tapes...

But one thing I would say is that it is far to heavily biased toward the 8-bit home computers.. there should be much more covereage of the SMS & NES, with Charts of the top selling games of that time..

This months issue has no mention of the NES but in 1988 there were loads of kickass NES games!

So more NES / SMS & other consoles please..!

Thanks
I agree. Console coverage in the "Eighties" column is pretty sparse, even though the second half of the eighties was the heyday for 8-bit console gaming. Please add more coverage of the 8-bit consoles to the already excellent coverage of the 8-bit computers. :D

Personally, I like the little news snippet from these columns the best. Brings back memories.
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

mrspud

Post by mrspud » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:02 am

What happens when the 80s article gets to December 89?
New Amiga, SAM Coupé and Speccy games available at http://blackjet.co.uk

The Master

Post by The Master » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:06 am

mrspud wrote:What happens when the 80s article gets to December 89?
The universe explodes.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:10 pm

I think the balance isn't actually that bad, but I do agree with the Amiga comments - I personally used my Amiga up untill about 1993/4 when my SNES started to take more of my attention.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:03 pm

In the UK home computers ruled the roost; be ridiculous to have a NES chart in the 80's just as it would be to have a Spectrum chart in the 90's

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:46 pm

mrspud wrote:What happens when the 80s article gets to December 89?
Gotta pull out the heavy equipment...

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:04 am

I've just read the current two articles, and the Amiga actually gets a fair few mentions on the '90s one. It's a shame the charts are all for consoles, though I can't remember if the Amiga sometimes gets a chart.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:40 am

Howzabout a "Back to the 00s" thing? They're over now, and it'd take in such things as the death of the Dreamcast, the birth of Retro Gamer, the dawning of eBay as a main hub for collecting... Worth thinking about?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:46 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Howzabout a "Back to the 00s" thing? They're over now, and it'd take in such things as the death of the Dreamcast, the birth of Retro Gamer, the dawning of eBay as a main hub for collecting... Worth thinking about?
Er, no

Ps2 current and non retro games..

There is always a case for going back and revisiting as 2 pages doesnt give scorpe for much expansion and there is still plenty of mileage in the back to pages
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:51 am

Ralph Milne's Left Foot wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Howzabout a "Back to the 00s" thing? They're over now, and it'd take in such things as the death of the Dreamcast, the birth of Retro Gamer, the dawning of eBay as a main hub for collecting... Worth thinking about?
Er, no

Ps2 current and non retro games..

There is always a case for going back and revisiting as 2 pages doesnt give scorpe for much expansion and there is still plenty of mileage in the back to pages
I'd rather see Back to the 70s. No that would make for some interesting reading
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

The Master

Post by The Master » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:10 am

I don't know though, things were very very different back in - say - 2001, than they are now.

Windows XP had only just come out for starters :shock:
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:48 am

Windows XP is still new to me.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:00 pm

The Master wrote:I don't know though, things were very very different back in - say - 2001, than they are now.
I agree, and Retro Gamer is going to have to rethink their definition of Retro and update the current "pre-2000" definition as the years continue on.

For example, why were games/hardware from 1999 considered "retro" in 2005 (when Imagine took over the magazine) only 6 years after release however games and hardware from 2001 aren't considered retro 9 years after their release here in 2010?

IMO, anything other than the hardware that is currently on sale by the manufacturer in the major markets should be considered fair game for the magazine. For example, the GameCube and Xbox should be considered retro as they were discontinued 4 and 5 years ago respectively, however Sony still sells the PS2, therefore it is not retro.

As the years move forward, the cut-off point for what is considered retro by the magazine should move forward as well.