Hot Topic - Starfox Games

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Best Starfox game

Starwing/Starfox
53%
Lylat Wars/Starfox 64
43%
Starfox Adventures
4%
Starfox Assault
No votes
Starfox Command
No votes

Total votes: 49

Sherringford Hovis

Re: Hot Topic - Starfox Games

Post by Sherringford Hovis » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:59 am

Has to be the original Starfox for me but then I am somewhat biased as some of you will know.

The SuperFX chip was clearly the work of super genius!:)

Sherringford
I think therefore I'm right!

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:09 am

Alas, I've never played a StarFox game. I kind-of always wanted to, and I remember wowing over each installment in the magazines, but somehow never got my mitts on them.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:38 am

It has to be Lylat Wars for me, the first game I played with a rumble feature, I remember going into my local choices video, where I had reserved it, and the staff member reaching under the counter and pulling out this massive box, while the rest of my N64 collection sits dormantly in a cupboard, Lylat wars makes for a nice wall feature.

The gameplay differs little to the original of course, but the addition of rumble really lifts it for me, the vibration from the pad as the first level boss appeared over head was impressive at the time.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:47 pm

Another vote for Lylat Wars, was jealous of that title as a Playstation owner!

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:06 pm

Should have made Starglider 3 instead.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:18 am

Starfox 64. No question. The first game in the series to let you use the Landmaster tank, plus the arena battles against the bosses were great. Splitting levels helped as well. Do one level one way, then go back and do it a different way. Great :D
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:01 am

Command was the first I owned, disappointed me. However, Lylat Wars pulled it back.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:15 pm

I'm going with the original, but i can't comment on the N64 games as i haven't played them. I still remember the first time i booted that baby up, jaw dropping at the time...it also upset my MD loving friends, which was a nice bonus :)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

batman877

Post by batman877 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:10 am

I've gone for Starfox 64 - a truly amazing shoot 'em up. The SNES version was truly ground breaking but the sequel perfected it.

'Starfox Adventures' is fun enough and memorable as the last game Rare made for Nintendo's home consoles - but not really a true Starfox game.

I also quite like 'Star Fox Assault' on the Cube - it really isn't the 'car crash' of a game most think it is (and you get to unlock the Xevious arcade game!)

However, Starfox Command on the DS - despite how much I really wanted to like it, I just can't get on with it.

Miketendo

Post by Miketendo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:06 am

Starfox 64. Hearing the voices from the Starfox team instead of the weird animal/robot chatter from the original was incredibly fresh on a Nintendo machine. It's a big step in realism and character development for Nintendo first party characters and it's refreshing to hear sounds other than Yipee and Wahoo and various grunts. Kind of a milestone for the big N in my opinion.

imaxeroker85

Post by imaxeroker85 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:21 am

i nearly bought starfox 64 for the free rumble pack

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:36 am

Starwing for me. I remember clearly rushing home from my then regular game of Saturday golf to play it... I must stand up & confess I never did finish it.

Actually, writing that makes me feel very humble... how come I didn't finish it?
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Skull Commander

Post by Skull Commander » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:29 pm

I voted for the first game. I liked the N64 version but it didn't feel as special as the Snes one. As for the Gamecube entries, I have them both but have never invested any serious time into them. Maybe one day...

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:26 pm

Lylat wars on N64, the big box and rumble added to an already great game. Starfox assault would have been good if not for the on foot sections which made up the majority of the game. Don't understand why people are voting for the snes version - it's almost unplayable now.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:16 am

To be honest, Starwing's the only one I've played! However, why isn't Starfox 2 on the list? It's freely available these days and it's just as good as the first.