Games I would like to see in the magazine

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Karnov

Games I would like to see in the magazine

Post by Karnov » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:47 am

Hi, I am bored and thought I would write a quick list of games that I like that it would be nice to see in the mag. If they have appeared before then please let me know issue numbers and I may go track down a copy on ebay! :D

Also when a game is covered the mag should always do the cool thing they sometimes do where it compares all the home conversions, but please dont just restrict it to c64, speccy, cpc .. please show 8 / 16bit console versions too..

Toki (Arcade, various formats)
Fire N Ice (NES)
Bombjack (Arcade)
Commander Keen (DOS)
Jackie Chans Action Kung-fu (NES / PC Engine)
Volfied (Arcade - various formats)
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (NES)
Bubble Bobble (various formats)
Bionic Commando (Various formats - NES version radically diferent)
North & South (Various Formats)
Mr Gimmick (NES)
Steg The Slug (C64)
Spikey In Transylvania (C64)
Seymour games (C64 / Speccy)
Gargoyle's Quest 2 (NES)
Jill of The Jungle (DOS)
Dragon View (SNES)
Sunset Riders (Various Formats)
Wipeout (Playstation)
Simon The Sorcerer (PC)

And please feature more classic PC Games, as I grew up with all the APOGEE, and shareware titles on my PC..

Thanks! :P

Looking forward to the next issue to arrive (Any day now hopefully)

merman

Re: Games I would like to see in the magazine

Post by merman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:45 am

GamesTM's Retro section has covered Seymour (in the most recent issue, #97) and Simon the Sorceror
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:12 pm

Seconded regarding Bombjack. I suspect that'll need a Japanese speaker to sort, given that I found and contacted Michitaka Tsuruta but got no reply. Bubble Bobble will have to be an overview, since Fukio Mitsuji reportedly died in 2008.

On home games, I'd like to see a feature on North & South, too. Spikey In Transylvania might be a tough one—I tried to sort something on that years ago, but no-one involved with the game wanted to talk.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:15 pm

I have every mag but I don't remember a big feature on the Epyx games series - has there been one? If not, that would be fab
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:11 pm

Mercenary, Mercenary, Mercenary,Mercenary, Mercenary, Mercenary, Mercenary, Mercenary, Mercenary, Mercenary, Mercenary and possibly something on Mercenary, if this is not possible - just do a feature on Mercenary instead.

M.U.L.E(ohhh the intro - Atari, not C64), but only when we have had an indepth feature on Mercenary.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:24 pm

M.U.L.E. has already had a feature.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:16 pm

System shock 1+2 been covered? Nice Big XCom (1-3) feature would be lovely, but understand getting an interview is proving difficult.Jeff minter and games there of....Bitmap Bros and games there of...Ohh Tony Crowther for Captive, Knightmare, N20, Realms of the haunting, ..In fact more i think of it, Yeah Realms of the Haunting, Love to see that covered.Also AxeMan Martain walker:Hunters Moon, Citadel etc.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:35 pm

A 20-page article noting every last difference between Psycho Fox, Decap Attack and Magical Hat thingy - that'd be nice.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:54 pm

PanzerGeneral wrote:Mercenary
Another I'd love to see. Another I've tried to sort (and I'm 100% certain I'm not the only one). Sadly, Mr Woakes isn't too talkative.
thevulture wrote:Jeff minter and games there of
Jeff seems keener to write on his own website than talk to Retro Gamer, although perhaps Drury can get him to spill some more beans. (I did have Tempest 2000 and Grid Runner making-ofs ready to go, but Jeff stopped replying to my emails, and all subsequent attempts to contact him have met with stony silence. No idea what I did.)
Bitmap Bros and games there of
One pretty big Bitmap Bros game is in the works (I got the go-ahead for it over two years ago), but getting interviews sorted is turning out to be a nightmare. One down, two to go...
Martain walker:Hunters Moon, Citadel etc.
I was utterly shocked when he replied and did the interview for the SID piece I wrote, but it's pretty clear he did so because he's still into music. Don't hold your breath for making-ofs on any of his games, but I do think they'd be ripe for two-page 'classic game' articles.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:13 pm

@Craig:You did`nt mention: Space Giraffe review score`s, Unity, Backing the Nuon after the Jag. or how on earth Defender 2000 turned out the way it did after Tempest 2000 did you? LOL-The last 1? A question i`d dearly like to ask the man.(Also, err, EDGE kinda DONE the whole Making of Tempest 2000 Article, was even up on thier web site few weeks back.Sorry dude, just thought i`d..err say).Very much appreciate all your efforts on ALL my request`s.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:18 am

Not sure when the original Edge Tempest 2000 thing ran, but I recall the RG making-of would have run around issue 30—some time ago. Well, had Jeff not stopped replying, obv.

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:27 am

Mega Man

and still waiting for that Mario feature that was supposed to be in last November's issue.

Two of the biggest names in console gaming over the past 25 years and for some reason Retro Gamer has steered clear. :(
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:41 am

Bub&Bob wrote:I have every mag but I don't remember a big feature on the Epyx games series - has there been one? If not, that would be fab
^^ Missed this. California Games got a making-of a while back, but I don't think any of the other Epyx Games Series has been covered. When I was writing the Cal Games feature, the main issue appeared to be that each event was often by a separate designer, who was left to their own devices. Therefore, a writer would potentially need to get in touch with a dozen or more people to cover a few of these titles!

merman

Post by merman » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:26 am

thevulture wrote:System shock 1+2 been covered? Nice Big XCom (1-3) feature would be lovely, but understand getting an interview is proving difficult.Jeff minter and games there of....Bitmap Bros and games there of...Ohh Tony Crowther for Captive, Knightmare, N20, Realms of the haunting, ..In fact more i think of it, Yeah Realms of the Haunting, Love to see that covered.Also AxeMan Martain walker:Hunters Moon, Citadel etc.
I'm in touch with Tony, hoping to get one or two of his games covered in RG (there's one in particular I definitely want to write a Making Of feature on, because there's an interesting angle...)
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:25 pm

merman wrote:
thevulture wrote:System shock 1+2 been covered? Nice Big XCom (1-3) feature would be lovely, but understand getting an interview is proving difficult.Jeff minter and games there of....Bitmap Bros and games there of...Ohh Tony Crowther for Captive, Knightmare, N20, Realms of the haunting, ..In fact more i think of it, Yeah Realms of the Haunting, Love to see that covered.Also AxeMan Martain walker:Hunters Moon, Citadel etc.
I'm in touch with Tony, hoping to get one or two of his games covered in RG (there's one in particular I definitely want to write a Making Of feature on, because there's an interesting angle...)
Utmost Respect.....Getting Giddy at the prospect.Captive is a personal ALL time fav.of mine as is Realms, Anything on either of these 2 would be fantastic. What`s Tony upto these days?.