Official Feedback Thread - Issue 78

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

darlich

Re: Official Feedback Thread - Issue 78

Post by darlich » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:34 pm

Loved the coverage of Rockstar...one of my alltime faves just cos it was so different for its time.

Boss Rush...Huh? Was like summat out of the Beano. Childish and totally out of place. Waste of a page.

martyg

Post by martyg » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:34 pm

clarance wrote: Nice bit on the 7800, although I would have liked a slightly longer article with a bit more emphasis on the games, most of which were overwhelmed by the competition, making that particular Atari retro before it's time.
That was actually covered in the section discussing how Mike Katz had to go to computer conversions because of the major licenses and major third party studios already locked in by Nintendo.
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:25 am

Yep top article Marty, was that one of your first for RG ? Looking forward to seeing more in the future.

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:22 am

In the article about Roland Perry (Amstrad) he was asked about why he had said that "the GX4000 was 'technically at least on a par' with the SNES". Roland couldn't remember having said anything like that as he didn't knew much about the SNES at the time.

For your information it was CLiff Lawson at Amstrad that was supposed to have claimed that the GX4000 is on par with the SNES
Last edited by ivarf on Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:28 am

Just finished reading issue 78 last night. Loved the Atari 7800, Xybots and Thunderforce articles and thought the Roland Perry interview made for a very interesting read.

Oh, and my "retro game I hadn't heard of" moment this month when Spike on the Vectrex was referenced in the Home Brew section, cheers for that Jason.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:42 am

I loved that little mention of Inceptor Software... that made me happy... :-)
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:27 am

theantmeister wrote:The Tomb Raider article was great, but it was let down by the Guardian of Light interview at the end. Karl "global brand director" Stewart is either incredibly dull or a very sophisticated marketing bot.
seconded

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:18 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Nah, I liked it, you know? Similar to a lot of the "humour" site I visit on the Internet, so it got a chuckle out of me.

Shall we have a poll on who liked it and who didn't?
I read the piece after seeing a few posts here criticising it, but I actually thought it was quite humorous, and I've never played the game itself (although I have read about the creation of it covered in one the the books in my collection (possibly Accidental Empires, but probably not).

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:40 pm

A much better issue than the last couple. Always a good read tho.

killert2010

Post by killert2010 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:29 pm

I am loving the new issue of retro gamer nearly finished and ready for the next issue. :D
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US YOU MISERABLE LITTLE PILE OF SECRETS

JennyTablina

Post by JennyTablina » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:18 am

I've gotten part way through the newest issue and I have to stay I surprisingly enjoyed it more than I thought I would!

Though its fair to say, Imagine era RG has always been one to keep more on top of current trends, which I don't really see a problem with? I figure that sometimes a new game in a long running or sudden new installment in a Retro series it might make it easier to track down people for a time who have things to say about the older titles. Plus its one way to draw in new readers who might be in a curious mood about whats come before (and considering Tomb Raiders running storyline I can see why RG featured it this month)

If anything I disliked earlier issues that looked at newer games because I would often anticipate a lot of juicy info yet it might of been just a 2 page spread or something. Which might of been fault of more tight-lipped or hard to find devs but all the same left me feeling hollow. This hasnt been the case so much recently. But even then with the cover feature regardless if I like it or not I've never found the rest of an RG issue dominated by it. Theres plenty good stuff even if you hate Lara

I also really liked this months Console Retrospection as well as last months. The 32X article shed a lot of light on the whole "What were they thinking??" aspect of the system and why they still went with it (though the only shame is no mention of the demos that the mags were full of prior to release, that showed off some pretty neat effects that just never got used by most devs) I also loved the Atari one this month as I'd never heard the entire story. Its such a shame that post sale Atari chickened out on the new system till it was too late. Makes me wonder what could of been had the 7800 been released as intended....

SirPsychoSexy

Post by SirPsychoSexy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:18 am

neuromancer wrote:
theantmeister wrote:The Tomb Raider article was great, but it was let down by the Guardian of Light interview at the end. Karl "global brand director" Stewart is either incredibly dull or a very sophisticated marketing bot.
seconded
I actually registered after lurking for ages solely for the purpose of discussing this before the next issue comes out. I'm glad to see I'm not alone. A completely and UTTERLY worthless waste of a page and I have no idea how it passed the final edit when it clearly should just have been binned due to this buzzword parrot being unable or unwilling to actually say anything with any meaning whatsoever.

I hope Darran and the RG team will think better of publishing something like this in future. Each page of my monthly RG is too precious for such sh*te!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:42 pm

SirPsychoSexy wrote:I actually registered after lurking for ages solely for the purpose of discussing this before the next issue comes out. I'm glad to see I'm not alone. A completely and UTTERLY worthless waste of a page and I have no idea how it passed the final edit when it clearly should just have been binned due to this buzzword parrot being unable or unwilling to actually say anything with any meaning whatsoever.

I hope Darran and the RG team will think better of publishing something like this in future. Each page of my monthly RG is too precious for such sh*te!
You obviously didnt turn over the page and see page 34 then ;)

mrspud

Post by mrspud » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:59 am

The Magnetic Scrolls article: Two to avoid. Not being a commercial success on their original release isn't really a valid reason to avoid them is it? Is there a real reason to pass over them ?The article suggests by the time those two came out text adventures were a thing of the past, but I don't think that is a legitimate reason to avoid them now is it? Hell, how many obscure games from the past turn out to be real gems. Even complaints about slow loading can probably be remedied on modern hardware/emulation. I always thought Wonderland looked intriguing from the advertisments at the time so I am keen to check it out for myself sometime.
:?
New Amiga, SAM Coupé and Speccy games available at http://blackjet.co.uk

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:06 pm

Done the Lara feature now. Did squat didly for me. Neither do I consider it anything retro (not the first time in RG), nor did I find anything engrossing and deeply interesting in the article itself (rather rare for RG).

The MS article was immensely more interesting for me, but I had an idea that Phil South was more involved in some of the games? (Either thieves or Jinxter.)