Official Feedback Thread - Issue 78

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

martyg

Re: Official Feedback Thread - Issue 78

Post by martyg » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:22 pm

thevulture wrote:Tha Atari 7800 and Thunderforce articles however? Superb!. These kinda features are why the magazine gets so much of my time.
Glad you liked the 7800 article, had a great time writing it.
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:39 pm

Ooh, just got the magazine today. Haven't read it all yet (these energy-saving lightbulbs are crap for reading) but I've had a flick through it - can't wait to read the Thunder Force thing, looks like more of a mid-80s to mid-90s shoot-mupp special of sorts (all those other ships and power-ups?).

Of what I've read, the Awesome Possum and Adventure things made me chuckle a fair bit, as well as Mr. Sumo Digital man telling that story about Zool (a "LOL" moment).
Nice write-up of that Sheffield thing too, and it's good to see Shoot1Up in the homebrew section - one of my favourite 360 games at the moment, oh yes.

So, on a "so-far" level, this issue's a Four Out Of Five. And Alex Kidd next month! Centipede too! The game.com version's great, wonder if Mr. Campbell agrees?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:25 am

Haven't read the other comments in this thread yet but.....

worst...

cover....

ever...

if i'd seen this in the shops i would've just walked past it not even thinking it was retrogamer
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:48 am

I'm not a fan of Tomb Raider but that cover alone will attract hopefully many new subscribers and thats what we want. I dont think its that bad, eye-catching and should do well.

martyg

Post by martyg » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:37 am

kelp7 wrote:worst...
cover....
ever...
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Ooh, Lara's on the cover of a magazine for the first time since 1998 :D

LOL, guess the two different responses shows you can't please everyone. ;)
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

mrspud

Post by mrspud » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:43 am

kelp7 wrote:if i'd seen this in the shops i would've just walked past it not even thinking it was retrogamer
Surely the bloody great big RETRO GAMER title gives it away? :wink:

The Sumo Digital b loke mentioned Hardwar. This is in my all time top 5 PC games. Any chance of a feature on the making of that?
New Amiga, SAM Coupé and Speccy games available at http://blackjet.co.uk

merman

Post by merman » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:10 am

My thoughts... really enjoyed the Atari 7800 Retroinspection, and the Making of Rock Star Ate My Hamster. I liked the fact that the writer tried something different with Boss Rush and I personally found it quite funny. As for the cover, I think it's quite striking and will catch the eye of people who maybe wouldn't usually pick up the magazine, which can only be a good thing.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:01 am

Good issue as usual,rockstar and thunderforce articles where great :D

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:12 am

Spacepatrol wrote:I think I have been spoilt by the excellent GamesTM Retro complilation 3 that I only recently picked up.
I've also recently purchased the GamesTM Retro Compilation 3 (they don't seem to want anyone to buy it though- it's a game in itself trying to find the damned thing on their website).

I was really enjoying reading the content, and noticing a great difference in approach between RG and Gtm's approach; sometimes I prefer RG's style and sometimes I prefer that of GamesTM. Overall I think that GamesTM has a more factually-lead approach, whereas RG still maintains elements of the more fanzine approach that the Live-era magazine excelled at, with a greater prominence to personal opinions.

Definitely RG is becoming more corporate and professional, but the alternative must surely be commercial oblivion - being a saddo the first part of RG I usually turn to is the back, looking for the page detailing next month's issue, to be sure that there is going to be one!

I think i'm the only person never to have played TombRaider, but I am more than happy for PS content to appear in the magazine (and by extension Saturn and other consoles of the same vintage).

Re: last issue; being a huge 32X fan, I loved the article, but was absolutely mystified that the machine's grandstand masterpiece, Virtua Racing, didn't get a mention.

Garry

Post by Garry » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:24 am

I was never a big lara fan, so the cover didnt appeal to me.
Good to see Rockstar ate my hamster, would have liked to see more mention of the gameplay, similar to the classic moments like in the Monty on the Run piece though.
I know its well trodden ground but good to see a making of Shenmue. Also Xybots article was interesting, i remember wanting to pick that up on my C64, then was so let down when i got it home that i did spend my money on it!
BossRush i agree was not really funny, but it was a change

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:40 am

its nice to see rockstar still drives people mad to try and complete the game,some tips here from lemon forum

http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 01425127dc

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:42 pm

martyg wrote:
kelp7 wrote:worst...
cover....
ever...
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Ooh, Lara's on the cover of a magazine for the first time since 1998 :D

LOL, guess the two different responses shows you can't please everyone. ;)

Yeah, you're right...i love it :lol:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:51 pm

Garry wrote:Also Xybots article was interesting, i remember wanting to pick that up on my C64, then was so let down when i got it home that i did spend my money on it!
Xybots article??

Must've missed that one, one of my favourite Lynx games :shock:
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Sherringford Hovis

Post by Sherringford Hovis » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:09 am

Never really got into the whole "Tomb Raider" thing, never played the original but I liked the cover a lot. Haven't read the article on Tomb Raider yet but when I have looked at the stuff that leaps out at me I will return t it as I so often do in the magazine.

Loving this Unconverted feature, hope there is mileage in it. Quite an interesting idea.

Don't get the problems with the cover. It has to draw attention to itself you know and get the highest audience possible. I know we all like to think of Retrogamer as being our little thing and only for cool people (like we so obviously are) but the mag won't survive without a wider readership. Be thankful that the "norms" may well see the cover and be intrigued enough to pick it up and buy it, thus funding our favourite mag. A Megaman cover is not going to do that (and Magaman is just as much of a "meh" game to me as Tomb Raider is not having played it). I would like to see Klepto on the cover but who is going to get that reference apart from speccy owners?

Actually Darran, put flipping Klepto on the cover! He has charm and a winning smile and everything! How could anyone resist that face?
I think therefore I'm right!

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:11 am

TR article brought back some memories for me,especially when it was released for psx and U2 use of lara during popmart tour.