Games TM Anthology 2

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

markopoloman

Re:

Post by markopoloman » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:18 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
Cloud Atlas wrote:I left my house for nothing. I asked the lady at the desk if there were any copies and she noticed I was staring at her cleavage, and now I'll never be able to go back :cry:

She was in her fifties.

Size or age?
He said she was in her 50's - so size don't matter :shock: :? :lol:

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:40 pm

Oooh I gotta get this one.

As I don't buy GamesTM this will make up for what I've missed.

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:20 pm

psj3809 wrote:I'm not Richard Branson or anything like that but the price isnt thad bad ! The last one was 9.99, hopefully this ones the same but if it is 12.99 it'll still be well worth it
Why exactly would I say it's £12.99 if it wasn't?
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:52 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
cheeky_muffin wrote:How big is this magazine? Is it huge like the last one :lol: Is it like a compliation of old material like the last one. It would be handy if it is as I've never bought games TM (sssh dont lynch me!)
As mentioned above, the only new feature is the Capcom one. Regular GamesTM readers will have the rest already. Way to skim money off loyal readers GamesTM :evil:

At least last time there was more than one new article.
No there wasn't the only new thing in the original anthology were the editorials...
Then I'm sure similar complaints will have been levelled at that as well and perhaps the reason so many of them are still on the shelves of WH Smiths.

Are the articles revised or edited at all like the RG ones, or just straight copies?

(There are none in Aberdeen yet btw).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Utini

Post by Utini » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:19 pm

£12.99? Is this thing a hardback? Sweet holy jeebus, that's too steep for my pocket.
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:22 pm

They look like straight copies. I'm surprised the top 100 was not re-edited. The feature is split into two sections covering 100-51 and 50-1 - unnecessary when they are printed in the same magazine.

The cover is fantastic. I'm a big fan of Oliver Frey, but I'm tired of looking at the same old covers. It's great to see a new piece of artwork that relates directly to a particular game series.

I have every issue of GamesTM, but I'm amazed how many articles I have forgotten. I don't remember reading game violence article (p220) or the Lemmings overview.

Is the computing magazine rack the best place for the anthology? It's just an expensive magazine to many game players. The price may be more acceptable to potential buyers if it is positioned as a paperback tome It like the Linux Format specials and Paragon's old Dreamweaver / Photoshop guidebooks.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:32 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Then I'm sure similar complaints will have been levelled at that as well and perhaps the reason so many of them are still on the shelves of WH Smiths.
Why would people have complained (or, indeed, complain now) about the lack of new content? It's not like people are being forced at gunpoint to buy the thing. It's for people like me who don't buy gamesâ„¢, but have an interest in Retro, or for those who want a high-quality compilation. As for why there are so many on the shelves, I suspect there was a second, massive print-run. (The mag disappeared for a while and then came back, seemingly permanently.) As anyone who's worked in printing knows, subsequent runs are a hell of a lot cheaper than the first.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:36 am

CraigGrannell wrote:Why would people have complained
Because there are a high volume of fetishistic completists in our number who feel compelled to buy it despite the logic of it?
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Re:

Post by psj3809 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:31 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote:Why would people have complained
Because there are a high volume of fetishistic completists in our number who feel compelled to buy it despite the logic of it?
Antiriad, are you that upset ?

Again the vast vast majority of people who will buy this compilation are the retro fans who dont buy GamesTM every month

No ones forcing them to buy it, i'm over the moon as i've been waiting for this for ages. I cant wait for Volume 3 in a few years time as well.

I dont think theyre milking or conning the public, its more aimed at people who dont buy GamesTM. The last one was obviously a success so thats why theyre doing this one. Instead of moaning about it we should be happy.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:41 am

I was a bit annoyed with the RG anthology 1. As I have a full set of RG I 'had to' but the anthology because it had a small amount of new material.
I would much prefer them to be completely re-used material and no new content at all.

The only reason to add new material is to sell it to people who already get it. So I agree that some loyal subscribers feel a bit agrieved.

I do understand than no one is holding a BFG to my head though.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:00 am

SirClive wrote:The only reason to add new material is to sell it to people who already get it. So I agree that some loyal subscribers feel a bit agrieved.
See, now that I can understand. But the only new stuff in Retro was Roger's intro, and I'm pretty certain the mag made it clear that it was a best-of. Complaining about it is like complaining about the UK South Park box-sets that arrived a year or so after all the original volumes had been released individually.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:34 am

Exactly, they all do that, you buy a boxed set then a year later another boxed set is out with a couple more deleted scenes, commentary etc

But the GamesTM retro stuff most of us havent seen, if i was a GamesTM reader i wouldnt bother with it unless i wanted to collect everything.

I just wish it was in the shops !

smila

Post by smila » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:41 am

so when does it go on sale then ?

ive tried 3 whsmiths and none of them have it in
god created the sid chip so hubbard could make music

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:04 am

psj3809 wrote:Antiriad, are you that upset ?
Yes. I have to buy it or I miss out. Even the new intro is enough... if I know I'm missing out I'll end up with a dark hole in my stomach that makes me feel sick every time I think about it :oops:

I find it frustrating that its a compilation, but not of everything.

If it compiled everything, I wouldn't bother buying GamesTM and just get the anthology. Because there's stuff in the mags that's missed from the anthology, I can't do that. Equally, there's new stuff in the anthology, so I can't just buy the mags and ignore the compilation.

I'm stuck having to buy both, whether I like it or not.

And why isn't there a subscriber option to have these specials included? I'd pay extra for that convenience.

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:53 am

Antiriad2097 wrote: And why isn't there a subscriber option to have these specials included?
I agree, I get the Marvel collection and they do special editions (which is a right con, but thats for a different forum), but with those you choose to add them to your subscription.