Games TM Anthology 2

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

will2097

Re:

Post by will2097 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:22 pm

merman wrote:Didn't have it in Cambridge today either :(
That is because I swiped the last one on Sunday! (It was lurking behind their last copy of Retro Gamer incidently!)

...sorry.

Will

vic26

Post by vic26 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:18 am

Your Not missing much tbh, agreed theres a lot of retreads from Retro Gamer in it, no hardware reviews in this issue and its the same number of pages for 3 quid more. Think I'll give volume 3 a miss (if they do one)

psj3809

Re:

Post by psj3809 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:20 am

vic26 wrote:Your Not missing much tbh, agreed theres a lot of retreads from Retro Gamer in it, no hardware reviews in this issue and its the same number of pages for 3 quid more. Think I'll give volume 3 a miss (if they do one)
Its brilliant. I dont buy GamesTM so i havent seen most of the articles, despite having every single copy of RG i didnt find a ton of repeat stuff.

Very happy with it and cant wait for the next compilation in years to come. The earlier compilation had nearly all the hardware reviews in it so i didnt expect really any in the new one. Great read.

darwinconan

Post by darwinconan » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:12 pm

I live in the U.S. and went to the Barnes & Nobles to buy issue 28 of Retro Gamer and there it was the new Games TM Anthology. I did not think it was going to be release in the U.S. I never buy Games TM so it would be a good buy for me. It was 30 dollars which kind of surprise me and Retro Gamer cost 12 dollars so I decided not get the Anthology for right now and just got Retro Gamer. There were 2 copies of it. I will probably go back and get it if there are any left. I am a real censored for retro gaming. It was really thick like a book. It looked pretty cool.

Don

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:32 am

darwinconan wrote:I live in the U.S. and went to the Barnes & Nobles to buy issue 28 of Retro Gamer and there it was the new Games TM Anthology. I did not think it was going to be release in the U.S. I never buy Games TM so it would be a good buy for me. It was 30 dollars which kind of surprise me and Retro Gamer cost 12 dollars so I decided not get the Anthology for right now and just got Retro Gamer. There were 2 copies of it. I will probably go back and get it if there are any left. I am a real censored for retro gaming. It was really thick like a book. It looked pretty cool.

Don
I'd actually expect a bit more. It's 2.6x as expensive as an issue of Retro Gamer here and 2.3x there. Even a direct currency conversion gives $24 so with shipping etc I can't say I'm shocked.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:41 am

darwinconan wrote:It was really thick like a book.
These kinds of magazines (rather awfully referred to as "bookazines" in the industry—a word that I always try to avoid using) are becoming increasingly common in the UK, as a way of repackaging existing IP. They're seemingly most common in the design and tech areas (such as fat Dreamweaver article collections), but games ones crop up now and again. To all extents and purposes, the games™ collection is a book, albeit one with less direct editorial direction than a "proper" book (no de-facto sections, and so on), and for someone who doesn't bother with games™, it's a pretty good buy, even taking into account the price hike since the first volume. And as Dudley says, the price conversion is surprisingly on the side of "not a rip-off" when the exchange rate and shipping is taken into account.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

kaiserpc

Re:

Post by kaiserpc » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:06 am

darwinconan wrote:I live in the U.S. and went to the Barnes & Nobles to buy issue 28 of Retro Gamer and there it was the new Games TM Anthology. I did not think it was going to be release in the U.S. I never buy Games TM so it would be a good buy for me. It was 30 dollars which kind of surprise me and Retro Gamer cost 12 dollars so I decided not get the Anthology for right now and just got Retro Gamer. There were 2 copies of it. I will probably go back and get it if there are any left. I am a real censored for retro gaming. It was really thick like a book. It looked pretty cool.

Don
I find it hilarious that they sell it in America, but not in half the cities in the UK. Still no sign of it in Inverness :evil: :evil:
c64 > spectrum 48k

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:37 am

will2097 wrote:
merman wrote:Didn't have it in Cambridge today either :(
That is because I swiped the last one on Sunday! (It was lurking behind their last copy of Retro Gamer incidently!)

...sorry.

Will
Tsk, I had to go all the way to Tunbridge Wells in Kent to get my copy in the end ;)
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

darwinconan

Post by darwinconan » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:56 pm

I will have to go back and buy the Games TM Anthology. I went to the book store to buy issue 28 of Retro Gamer and was shocked when I saw it there. I have been reading the posts about how hard it is to get a copy of it in the U.K. At the time I did not want to spend 42 dollars on retro gaming magazines at one shot. More I think about it the more I want it. Also the format is so unusual being like a bookzine.

Don

martin_lovick

Post by martin_lovick » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:41 am

just got back from a month in thailand this morning, had a quick look in smiths today, lo and behold the games tm anthology 2 and a new edition of RG top stuff!

great way to combat a bit of jet lag

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:50 pm

I just purchased RG issue 28 and the Retro Games TM Anthology#2.I must say 30 bucks is a steal.darwinconan run back out there and grab a copy, you'll regret not doing so. Especially since to me, it's spanking new content. How did you walk away without buying it in the first place? what willpower! Now I must savor it.

flojomojo

Post by flojomojo » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:06 pm

Agreed with CrookedMouth -- this is indeed a good buy, however, you must think like Obi-Wan and look at it "from a certain point of view." It's US$30, so remember that Games TM is $8+ a month here. This book collects the best bits (Retro section, of course) of more than a year's worth, it definitely comes out to be worth it.

I'd be open to the possibility of buying future collections of Retro Gamer bound like this -- it represents a good value, just like buying "graphic novel" collections of comics instead of monthly released single issues. The first RG Anthology (from a different publisher) did a nice job of recapping the early issues that most of us missed.

Still wrangling with whether or not I want to subscribe to RG again since it's the same price as the newsstand over here ....

merman

Post by merman » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:42 pm

I liked the second anthology, it sits as a nice companion to the first and reflects a different sort of article. I also liked the way the retro adverts related to the articles - so Operation Wolf's advert was next to the Clash of the Titans piece on Operation Wolf.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

incarnates

Post by incarnates » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:18 am

Picked up a copy in Newmarket this morning :D

Hopefully have chance to look through it after we've taken kids clothes shopping. :x