Games TM Anthology 2

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:18 am

I had the same problem in Southport

If WHS want to be the sole retailer for the mag,surely they should make more effort promoting it?

And I still can't understand why Games TM didn't advertse it in the last issue (unless I've missed it)

For £12.99 it should really come with a hard cover
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
mr.zzapback
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:49 am
Location: Zzapland
Contact:

Re:

Post by mr.zzapback » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:36 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
For £12.99 it should really come with a hard cover
For example.
*Creator of the DEF Tribute to Zzap!64* www.zzapback.com*

User avatar
kaiserpc
Posts: 389
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:20 am
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Post by kaiserpc » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:41 am

Another day and still no sign of the mag in Inverness. I give up - fed up walking up town every lunch time. I'll just wait until it appears on ebay.

:cry: :cry:
c64 > spectrum 48k

User avatar
LeeT
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:36 pm

Post by LeeT » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:05 pm

Went in my local Smiths today and asked about ordering it - The woman had a confused look on her face, dispapeared out the back for two mins then came back and said that I would have to wait and "it will probably turn up sooner or later". She mentioned that they still have copies of the first one (presumably out the back as there was none on the shelves!).

Maybe if these special editions are produced in the future, it might be an idea to make them non-exclusive to certain chains as it does seem a bit of a ridiculous length to have to go to, in order to buy a copy? Can we order them through the Imagine mail order department?

Weblaus
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:01 pm
Location: Germany

Re:

Post by Weblaus » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:13 pm

I think Imagine should offer these special issues online for everyone to buy - I'd be happy to buy the Anthologies, but I simply can't get them here except by hoping somewone will put a copy up on Ebay (and then be willing ship it to Europe). There's not much I'm missing from the Live era, but this particular point (selling issues and extras online) worked pretty well with them.

That whole exclusivity thing doesn't seem to work out well at all judging from the by now numerous comments posted here.

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:10 pm

LeeT wrote:Went in my local Smiths today and asked about ordering it - The woman had a confused look on her face, dispapeared out the back for two mins then came back and said that I would have to wait and "it will probably turn up sooner or later". She mentioned that they still have copies of the first one (presumably out the back as there was none on the shelves!).

Maybe if these special editions are produced in the future, it might be an idea to make them non-exclusive to certain chains as it does seem a bit of a ridiculous length to have to go to, in order to buy a copy? Can we order them through the Imagine mail order department?
Perhaps WHS were the only ones prepared to take them in sufficient quantity?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
LeeT
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:36 pm

Re:

Post by LeeT » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:21 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
LeeT wrote:Went in my local Smiths today and asked about ordering it - The woman had a confused look on her face, dispapeared out the back for two mins then came back and said that I would have to wait and "it will probably turn up sooner or later". She mentioned that they still have copies of the first one (presumably out the back as there was none on the shelves!).

Maybe if these special editions are produced in the future, it might be an idea to make them non-exclusive to certain chains as it does seem a bit of a ridiculous length to have to go to, in order to buy a copy? Can we order them through the Imagine mail order department?
Perhaps WHS were the only ones prepared to take them in sufficient quantity?
Obviously not enough from reading this thread! :wink:

User avatar
felgekarp
Posts: 9351
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 11:47 am
Location: Earth 3

Post by felgekarp » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:45 pm

Maybe they've decided not to order the bulk amount they ordered for the first one as I'm sure in most WHSmiths they where still selling the first one up to a week or so ago.

User avatar
ZeroCipher
Posts: 1186
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 9:44 am
Location: Back in Blighty
Contact:

Post by ZeroCipher » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:53 am

I managed to pick up a copy in Guildford's WHS yesterday.


Not had a chance to read it yet as my boss is sitting behind me.
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

Image

User avatar
Rev. Stuart Campbell
Posts: 1082
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:28 am

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:45 am

Right. It's Thursday now, supposed proper release day. If it isn't in Bath Smith's today, it can fork off. Fed up of going there looking for it.

CrookieMonster
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:08 pm

Post by CrookieMonster » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:59 pm

Anyone living in Greater Manchester may be interested to know that the WHSmith in Bolton town centre currently has four copies of the anthology (as at 5.30pm on Thursday). They're located next to the cash desks.

As someone who has bought one, I would certainly recommend getting hold of it. It may well be £13 but definitely worth treating yourself to.

KW
Posts: 260
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:32 pm

Post by KW » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:09 pm

Not in my local WHSmiths either. I am beginning to think this thread is a very late April fool and the book doesn't exist :P

User avatar
martin_lovick
Posts: 610
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:44 pm

Post by martin_lovick » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:42 am

just tired stevenage smiths, lots of copies of the first anthology, no copies of anthology 2 yet :(

can I order it online?

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6771
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:13 pm

Damn, I can't seem to post long threads at all, but I'm not at all happy with Mr zapbak's accusations that I palm everything off and don't accept responsibility for things.

I'll deal with these on Monday...
Image

Quaid
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:57 pm

Post by Quaid » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:12 pm

I'm not sure he's even worth it, Darran.

He clearly has issues and rather than simply vote with his wallet, ie not buy the book, he feels it is his civic duty to warn people, even though everyone here is perfectly capable of making that decision themselves.

I buy books all the time, sometimes for £10, sometimes £15, often they are £20 or more. If you value the content it really doesn't matter because it's worth it. Rebellion has started selling collected issues of Judge Dredd from 2000AD for £14 a pop in black and white. Is it a rip-off? Not if you really want to read all the stories in one handy volume, and if the originals are hard to obtain it's not.

Who says that gamesTM readers are the target for this book anyway? Anyone else buying it (and you can flick through it in the shop, remember, not like many mags) is getting some damn fine original new features.

Honestly Zzapback you reallly are coming across as a bit of a censored, and if you know publishing, as you claim you do, then you also know how expensive/risky it is. Take a chill pill and let people make up their own minds.
"There was a time that was all the money in the world to me, now it's a day's pay...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests