Where can I buy Retrogamer magazine...?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:39 pm

Again i'm not saying i'm mr rich, far from it, but when a great subscription offer is just 15 quid, when most of us are in our 30's, late 20's, i cant see how we can really moan about the price.

The majority of us all buy latest consoles, PC's, retro games for our different systems etc, other gadgets. Yet Retro Gamer has a great deal for 15 quid and theres a huge long thread about it !

Yeah they may go t*ts up and i'll lose out on my money but this time a maximum of 15 quid wont be too bad. Yeah i have a mortgage to pay etc so 15 quids 15 quid but i'm not fearing the worst.

Yes there are also people who only want to pay cash, if thats the case go down to your local newsagent and get them to order it for you every month, in the old days a lot of magazines had those bits you cut out saying 'dear mr newsagent can you get this mag for me every month'

If the more of us support RG, take out 6 month subscriptions etc the magazine will look even more healthier. I'm just still quite stunned when so many people seem to refuse to get a cheap subscription because it uses 'evil' credit cards etc ! ;)

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:25 am

"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:04 am

Yeah, I think the vast majority of readers can't say they can't spare £15 every 6 months, especially as, because it's half price, even if Imagine goes under you've still got a half chance of breaking even compared to the shop price anyway. (As in, whether they go under in the first or second 3 months)
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:35 am

Any reasonable size WHSmiths sells it.

Also any reasonable local newsagent will order it in for you if you ask them.

Tescos seem to have given up selling it a few months back, not surprising really as they always seemed to have plenty of copies left at the end of the month. Just not the right place to catch retroheads really!

I personally won't subscribe as I got bitten the last time I did. I want to see RG going for a few years befor I trust not to get bitten again.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:58 am

Randall Flagg wrote:I personally won't subscribe as I got bitten the last time I did. I want to see RG going for a few years befor I trust not to get bitten again.
Even given what Dudley has summarised in the post above?
I don't really understand that kind of thinking.
"I would rather pay twice as much monthly, than risk a maximum of £15" - makes no sense at all to me.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:06 am

No, its a case of going into WHSmiths and handing over my cash and getting the product in my hand.

No c0ck ups with subs, no going bankrupt and losing advanced money etc.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:24 pm

Despite missing out an issue due my subsciption unknowingly lapsing, I have found one in Smiths luckily. I think the £15 subs offer is great, I got stung for about £70 when the last company when bust, but thats life, I have saved loads over subscribing, so its all swings and roundabouts at the end of the day.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Wildnites

Post by Wildnites » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:26 pm

I looked on Ebay for a copy of Issue 28 and one went for £12.50 plus p+p.... is that a good thing.....?
Please Sir I cannot tell a lie......

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:55 pm

Randall Flagg wrote:No, its a case of going into WHSmiths and handing over my cash and getting the product in my hand.

No c0ck ups with subs, no going bankrupt and losing advanced money etc.
Except as I point out, you've got a half chance of GAINING money if they go bust compared to your current buying, even if you take each 6 months individually.

Since it's unlikely it'll be in the first 6 months then you're almost guarenteed to benefit overall.

Opa-Opa

Re:

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:20 pm

Dudley wrote: Except as I point out, you've got a half chance of GAINING money if they go bust compared to your current buying, even if you take each 6 months individually.
Erm... no.. There is no way anyone can make money by buying things cheaper, you still always end up with less money than you started with...
He may well SAVE some money but he won't GAIN any

Unless RG is going to come with a free £5.00 note stuffed into each sub copy... :)

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:51 am

Opa-Opa wrote:
Dudley wrote: Except as I point out, you've got a half chance of GAINING money if they go bust compared to your current buying, even if you take each 6 months individually.
Erm... no.. There is no way anyone can make money by buying things cheaper, you still always end up with less money than you started with...

Unless RG is going to come with a free £5.00 note stuffed into each sub copy... :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Retrotechy.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:19 am

Opa-Opa wrote: Erm... no.. There is no way anyone can make money by buying things cheaper, you still always end up with less money than you started with...
It is assumed that he is going to buy every issue.

Opa-Opa

Re:

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:33 am

Dudley wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote: Erm... no.. There is no way anyone can make money by buying things cheaper, you still always end up with less money than you started with...
It is assumed that he is going to buy every issue.
Even with your assumption he still won't GAIN any money, whenever you buy anything you end up with less than you started with.. even if he got a six month Sub at a penny an issue he would still have 0.06p less than he started with..?

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:39 am

Everyone, please take it easy.

I will probably subscribe in a few months after I'm happy that RG is here to stay. I will then benefit from the huge discounts offered but will not gain any money, simply make a saving on the money I'm currently spending on RG every month.

:D
Retrotechy.

thl

Post by thl » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:04 pm

It's available at Borders and Virgin Megastores. I see it very often on the shelf while browsing.