Where can I buy Retrogamer magazine...?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Opa-Opa

Where can I buy Retrogamer magazine...?

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:28 am

Whats going on..? I have just done a 20 mile round trip to find the latest copy of retrogamer only to come home empty handed...

My local(ish) WHSmiths and Gamestation both said they no longer sell it and I can't find it in any Newsagents. RUBBISH..! :evil:

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:46 am

I can pick you a copy up and post it if you want. They have it at my WHS.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:46 am

Cue lots of people pointing to subs... :roll:

I buy it too and find it very hard to get.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:22 am

Actually I'll agree. I didn't see #27 anywhere in any shop my way, and haven't seen any sign of #28 either yet.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:33 am

I can't sub, I have no bank account and no credit cards.
The future of the magazine don't look to bright, if people who want to buy the magazine can't find it theres not much chance of picking up any new readers from "passing trade" i.e those people who are just looking for something to read while little johny is seeing the Dr. etc....

If you would pick me one up SirClive I would be most greatfull, I'll bung a fiver in the post to you.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:43 am

Get WH Smith to order it every month.

I'm astonished they don't carry it, my local ones all do.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:46 am

They did sell it, I have been buying it from there or Gamestation but both stores have said they will no longer be getting it in..?
I can understand if the stupid boy at GS got it wrong but the nice old lady in WHS has never told me a fib yet...

Smurph

Re:

Post by Smurph » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:08 am

Opa-Opa wrote:They did sell it, I have been buying it from there or Gamestation but both stores have said they will no longer be getting it in..?
I can understand if the stupid boy at GS got it wrong but the nice old lady in WHS has never told me a fib yet...
I think Dudley means for you to ask them to order one in specifically for you. Most Newsagents will get one copy of a certain mag if they know they'll be able to sell it...

And on that note, great idea, Dudley! I'll get my corner shop to order it in for me, I know they order in for others.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Moth

Re:

Post by Moth » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:00 pm

Opa-Opa wrote: The future of the magazine don't look to bright, if people who want to buy the magazine can't find it theres not much chance of picking up any new readers from "passing trade" i.e those people who are just looking for something to read while little johny is seeing the Dr. etc....
Strange. Seems to be getting better round here. Shopping in Sainsbury's here today and what did I see on the way out (on the "Recommended Read" stand that everyone walks past) but about 10 copies of RG!! I was impressed! They've never even stocked it before as far as I've ever noticed.

monkey puzzle

Post by monkey puzzle » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:36 pm

My local Tesco no longer stocks it. If anybody knows of anywhere in the Dereham / Norfolk area that sells Retro Gamer please let me know. Otherwise, Im afraid I will have to say goodbye to the excellent mag (which I have had since issue 4) as I dont wish to subscribe. :cry:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:09 pm

Just out of interest, why would you not want to subscribe, when it would be delived straight to your door and you'd only have to pay £2.50 an issue?

Seems strange if you obviously like the mag

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:24 pm

Smurph wrote: I think Dudley means for you to ask them to order one in specifically for you. Most Newsagents will get one copy of a certain mag if they know they'll be able to sell it...

And on that note, great idea, Dudley! I'll get my corner shop to order it in for me, I know they order in for others.
WH smith certianly will given they largely own the magazine distribution biz. There's a very very good chance they supply your corner shop. If they do, ordering the mag is literally 1 20 second phone call for the owner.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:24 pm

I don't have any kind of bank account which makes things harder for a start, I also enjoy popping out to buy my magazines once a month, picking up GAMEStm and RetroGamer just as I used to pick up Zzap and Crash.
I also don't like to pay for anything in advance, why should I give money over for something I won't get for six months....
It might be an old way of doing things but I just want to walk into a shop and buy a magazine.. Simple.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:59 am

Opa, how did you ever manage to get online when the rest of your life is so retro?

Given the above statement, I assume you're dialling up on a pay as you go ISP account from a payphone...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:27 am

How come you dont have a bank account ? Sorry Opa i presumed you worked.

The vast majority obviously do have a bank account etc. I can see your points about not wanting to pay for something you wont get until months later but on the other hand youre saving money so if you are going to buy it every month youre just throwing money down the drain by paying more for it month after month

Bank accounts/credit cards arent that evil ! ;) It is a very very old way of doing things ! Shocked youre on the net ! Surely you pay monthly for that