No More 2 Page Screenshots!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TMR

Re: No More 2 Page Screenshots!

Post by TMR » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:25 pm

Gabe wrote:
TMR wrote:Retro Gamer has a set rate for a DPS spread which isn't based on how long it takes to produce; if a freelancer produces one that uses nine screenshots stitched together they'll still get that same rate regardless of how much extra time and effort is involved.
I am happy to be corrected on that, thanks.

Presumably though if Stuart or Darran do it (who I guess are on a fixed salary), my original point is still valid.
Well, i can't comment directly because i don't know either way, but if they were doing a little extra work on the side occasionally i wouldn't be even slightly surprised - just because it's a business, doesn't mean individuals won't go beyond the call of duty and spend their lunch hour sticking screenshots together.

SqueakyG

Post by SqueakyG » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:58 pm

Bit of a bump, sorry.

I like the retro Revivals if they are pretty, but unfortunately quite a few of them are massive blowups of ugly blocky games. There are some beautiful colourful 16-bit games that show the true mastery of pixel art, so it's a shame to waste two pages on an Atari 2600 screenshot that's basically a few ugly blocks on a black background, for example.

Something I would quite like to see is videogame "maps", like the things they make at http://www.vgmaps.com/. Here are some examples I quite like:

Link's Awakening DX:

Pokemon Emerald:

Wolfenstein 3D (thumbnail's weird, but clicky!)

DRS

Post by DRS » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:02 am

vgmaps.com is ace. See issue 81 for a little nod in their direction and a retrorevival with one of their maps in.

Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:56 am

I like the 2 page screenshots. It's not likely that they could replace it with 2 more pages of new material and it's a nice break from the small screenshots.

Admittedly, some of the 2600 game screenshots are a bit of a waste :D

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:03 am

Would prefer to see the expanded screenshots replaced with either some classic game flyer/adverts or the aforementioned retro Game Maps. Doesn't ruin my day either way though.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.