Issue 20 is here

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sparrowhawk

Re:

Post by Sparrowhawk » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:59 am

Spiff wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:For starters, you'll see a shift in focus from the classic games. Rather than be simple retrospective looks, there will be at least one making of each month.
Cool!
Seconded!

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:44 am

Well, at the risk of being unpopular and branded "Some Idiot" again, I find myself once more disapointed with RG issue 20.

Too many points to go through but a few basic ones:

"Retro Free America" - I just don't get it. Why do UK readers of a UK based magazine want to know whos getting what retro gizmo in the US for xmas.

"Retro Diary" - was it 5 or 6 if the games there were exactly the same as in issue 19s retro diary with most of them not even having the review rewritten or any more useful information added??!!

"Technos story" - a dull, drudging, what seemed like 50 pages when I was through. Desperatley wanted to shoot myself halfway though it. Couldn't find a gun that'd make enough of a mess on the wall to justify the torture I was going through. I like reading about developers, this was just the worst of the worst though.

There is another dozen or so points but don't want to bore people.

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE RETROGAMER magazine, Its still the best magazine around at the moment, it just seems to have lost some focus and direction since it's been taken over. Sorry, not a popular opinion here I know.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:49 am

Randall Flagg wrote:Well, at the risk of being unpopular and branded "Some Idiot" again, I find myself once more disapointed with RG issue 20.

Too many points to go through but a few basic ones:

"Retro Free America" - I just don't get it. Why do UK readers of a UK based magazine want to know whos getting what retro gizmo in the US for xmas.

"Retro Diary" - was it 5 or 6 if the games there were exactly the same as in issue 19s retro diary with most of them not even having the review rewritten or any more useful information added??!!

"Technos story" - a dull, drudging, what seemed like 50 pages when I was through. Desperatley wanted to shoot myself halfway though it. Couldn't find a gun that'd make enough of a mess on the wall to justify the torture I was going through. I like reading about developers, this was just the worst of the worst though.

There is another dozen or so points but don't want to bore people.

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE RETROGAMER magazine, Its still the best magazine around at the moment, it just seems to have lost some focus and direction since it's been taken over. Sorry, not a popular opinion here I know.
Hey,don't worry about it mate. We's be crazy if we thought that everyone was going to love everything about the mag.

Spiff

Re:

Post by Spiff » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:50 am

Randall Flagg wrote:it just seems to have lost some focus and direction since it's been taken over.
Er, did you read the last few Live issues?!

John

Re:

Post by John » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:11 am

Randall Flagg wrote: "Retro Free America" - I just don't get it. Why do UK readers of a UK based magazine want to know whos getting what retro gizmo in the US for xmas.
In my opinion, Imagine is aiming to bring this magazine to international audiences, not just the UK. Imagine will distribute this mag in the U.S.A. to two major book stores, we even get Edge and GamesTM over here in the states.

Secondly, I think that whatever retro gizmo is shown in the mag, it could catch the eye of other companies, and in-turn could possibly generate licensing/distribution deals to other foreign countries. I'm hoping that Retro goodness will find its way to other countries, not just North America, product publicity in RG can make that happen. Any publicity for a retro product is good publicity, even if it originates in the states.
Randall Flagg wrote: "Technos story" - a dull, drudging, what seemed like 50 pages when I was through. Desperatley wanted to shoot myself halfway though it. Couldn't find a gun that'd make enough of a mess on the wall to justify the torture I was going through. I like reading about developers, this was just the worst of the worst though.
Wow, now that's criticism. Fair enough, I'll take it.

As the writer of Technos story, this was probably one of the most challenging articles I've ever written because there was too much general information to present. A whole book could be written about Technos, but it would require time in Japan, paying for a Japanese-to-English translator to interview staff that have long since left the cut-throat video game game industry to now distribute electronic parts in a small drab flourescent-lit street corner office.

If I could have made this story more "spicy" then I would have, but some basic research and interview questions were met with many dead ends, particularly when dealing with the Japan side of a company long gone and with no one speaking English.

The one question I wanted to answer was "What happened to Technos?" and "Why didn't English speaking audiences get more of their games?".
I wanted UK audiences (and even potential publishers for the Atlus/GBA versions) to also have more awareness of Technos games.
The Technos Story turned turned more into an encyclopedia article to answer those questions, I realize it's not going to smell like roses to everyone.

I find your criticism very constructive, but I have only read one issue of Retro Gamer after finding it in my local bookstore before its previous publisher dissolved. (I've been home from Japan for five months now).

I'm looking forward to getting my copy so I can familiarize myself with the style and direction everyone is taking so I can apply it into my own writing style. I think that everyone is trying their best to make RG an international magazine everyone can enjoy. Some readers just want facts and information, and some want flashy writing, it's not easy to please both sets of readers. Overall, from the feedback I've read here, RG has gotten off to a great start. Thanks for the criticism.

- John Andersen
U.S.A.

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:06 am

I liked the Technos article, and when I saw the official game list and the staff list I realised that someone must have put an awful lot of work into writing this - and it turns out to have been you.

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:35 am

John wrote: In my opinion, Imagine is aiming to bring this magazine to international audiences, not just the UK. Imagine will distribute this mag in the U.S.A. to two major book stores, we even get Edge and GamesTM over here in the states.
Secondly, I think that whatever retro gizmo is shown in the mag, it could catch the eye of other companies, and in-turn could possibly generate licensing/distribution deals to other foreign countries. I'm hoping that Retro goodness will find its way to other countries, not just North America, product publicity in RG can make that happen. Any publicity for a retro product is good publicity, even if it originates in the states.
I understand the principle behind having U.S articles in the magazine (i.e encouraging U.S readers to take interest) but it seems like too much effort is being made and it comes over as desperate, having a large U.S article in the first few pages of the mag. It seems like a bit of a slap to the majority of your readers who aren't in the states.
I have to admit your second point is a very good one and something I hadn't thought about but still stand by what I said above.
John wrote:
Wow, now that's criticism. Fair enough, I'll take it.

As the writer of Technos story, this was probably one of the most challenging articles I've ever written because there was too much general information to present. A whole book could be written about Technos, but it would require time in Japan, paying for a Japanese-to-English translator to interview staff that have long since left the cut-throat video game game industry to now distribute electronic parts in a small drab flourescent-lit street corner office.

If I could have made this story more "spicy" then I would have, but some basic research and interview questions were met with many dead ends, particularly when dealing with the Japan side of a company long gone and with no one speaking English.

The one question I wanted to answer was "What happened to Technos?" and "Why didn't English speaking audiences get more of their games?".
I wanted UK audiences (and even potential publishers for the Atlus/GBA versions) to also have more awareness of Technos games.
The Technos Story turned turned more into an encyclopedia article to answer those questions, I realize it's not going to smell like roses to everyone.

I find your criticism very constructive, but I have only read one issue of Retro Gamer after finding it in my local bookstore before its previous publisher dissolved. (I've been home from Japan for five months now).

I'm looking forward to getting my copy so I can familiarize myself with the style and direction everyone is taking so I can apply it into my own writing style. I think that everyone is trying their best to make RG an international magazine everyone can enjoy. Some readers just want facts and information, and some want flashy writing, it's not easy to please both sets of readers. Overall, from the feedback I've read here, RG has gotten off to a great start. Thanks for the criticism.

- John Andersen
U.S.A.
Sorry if I was a bit rude there, could have probably said what I said a bit politer.

Like I said, I like retrogamer, its a great mag, I enjoyed the Tomb Raider article, I also enjoyed the RARE story (perhaps a follow up story is due with the flip side of the coin i.e ex employees who have nothing good to say about rare) and the Knightlore article was excellent.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:51 am

BTW i noticed that one of the versions of knightlore photographed in the article was in 3 colours rather than the usual monochrome. Was that the Amstrad version?

Regards :D
Retrotechy.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:03 am

Randall Flagg wrote:BTW i noticed that one of the versions of knightlore photographed in the article was in 3 colours rather than the usual monochrome. Was that the Amstrad version?

Regards :D
Of course it was, after all, the Amstrad rulez :lol:

Mayhem

Re:

Post by Mayhem » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:24 am

Randall Flagg wrote:I understand the principle behind having U.S articles in the magazine (i.e encouraging U.S readers to take interest) but it seems like too much effort is being made and it comes over as desperate, having a large U.S article in the first few pages of the mag. It seems like a bit of a slap to the majority of your readers who aren't in the states.
On the other hand, there are plenty of people, including myself, who want to know, or already have an interest in machines and retrogaming in the US, Japan or further afield (as Jon did with Brazil). Sure the magazine is made in the UK, but many of the writers and I predict quite a few readers have a multicultural or worldwide interest in gaming as a whole.

For example, many of the machines and games in my collection are US, not European (Vectrex, 2600, SNES, N64). Actually apart from the C64 and Vic20 games, most of what I own is imported in some way! I hang out on Digital Press and Atari Age, two huge US retro sites.

Have to say... in the last 5-6 years since using the net to find other people into retrogaming, my general overall knowledge has expanded hugely as result.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Spiff

Re:

Post by Spiff » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:34 am

Randall Flagg wrote: it seems like too much effort is being made and it comes over as desperate, having a large U.S article in the first few pages of the mag.
A page-and-a-quarter is a large article?!

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:49 am

LOL. Like I've said, It ain't popular to criticise RG here but I guess I'm just not the sycophant type.

I agree with you that it's interesting to hear about retro in other areas of the world. I enjoyed the Japan retro update that used to be in RG regularly but I think in terms of material released that didn't make it to western shores Japan is way ahead of the States.

Also It's not that I don't enjoy reading the U.S article, I'm just a bit puzzled why it takes such a prominent place in the first few pages rather than being later on in the magazine under a smaller banner. It looks like too desperate an attempt to attract U.S readers to me.

And what about retro australia, Retro France, Retro Spain, Retro italy etc.
Retrotechy.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:07 am

Randall Flagg wrote:LOL. Like I've said, It ain't popular to criticise RG here but I guess I'm just not the sycophant type.

I agree with you that it's interesting to hear about retro in other areas of the world. I enjoyed the Japan retro update that used to be in RG regularly but I think in terms of material released that didn't make it to western shores Japan is way ahead of the States.

Also It's not that I don't enjoy reading the U.S article, I'm just a bit puzzled why it takes such a prominent place in the first few pages rather than being later on in the magazine under a smaller banner. It looks like too desperate an attempt to attract U.S readers to me.

And what about retro australia, Retro France, Retro Spain, Retro italy etc.
if you look at most magazines, their colums are either at the front or the back. Ours are at the front.

If we were desperate to attract the US we'd stick atari on the front cover every month ;)

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:09 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:if you look at most magazines, their colums are either at the front or the back. Ours are at the front.

If we were desperate to attract the US we'd stick atari on the front cover every month ;)
LOL :D fair one.
Retrotechy.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:14 am

Mayhem wrote:On the other hand, there are plenty of people, including myself, who want to know, or already have an interest in machines and retrogaming in the US, Japan or further afield (as Jon did with Brazil).
Actually, that Brazil piece was excellent. I could have quite happily read another two pages on it.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com