Issue 20 is here

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:22 am

As said before, I think there should only be one Classic Game per issue, and Tomb Raider isn't retro so should not have been included, but otherwise another pleasing issue.

Sparrowhawk

Re:

Post by Sparrowhawk » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:45 am

Spiff wrote:As said before, I think there should only be one Classic Game per issue, and Tomb Raider isn't retro so should not have been included, but otherwise another pleasing issue.
I'm not so sure - there are so many classic games, why not cover a few each issue: two or three seems good to me. Personally, I like finding out about games that I never played. Sure, I won't get that warm thrill of nostalgic mana that comes with a review of say, Ant Attack, The Hobbit or Lords of Midnight, but then the magazine needs to be about more than just one emotion.

Lara Croft 1 is pretty retro for younger players I'd guess, what with their XBox 360 uber-games, and frankly, the more Lara Croft the better! ;)

It's that fine balancing act again - I think that the editors have it about right.

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:16 am

PSone is a current system so TR can't be retro -- except for younger players, as you say, but they're hardly gonna be buying RG.

I'd rather have a single, longer Classic Game feature per issue than three short-ish ones.

Sparrowhawk

Re:

Post by Sparrowhawk » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:21 am

Spiff wrote:PSone is a current system so TR can't be retro -- except for younger players, as you say, but they're hardly gonna be buying RG.

I'd rather have a single, longer Classic Game feature per issue than three short-ish ones.
I accept your arguments, although I personally disagree. ;)

Still, I think that we both agree that the bulk of the magazine is great, and that's what counts. They've done a great job.

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:22 am

Agreed it's a nice mag - although as I wasn't into the PS1, and therefore don't really think it's retro, I swerved the Tomb Raider article. Sorry. But more Atari, Speccy, C64, ST and Amiga stuff will be welcome! :wink:

Spiff

Re:

Post by Spiff » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:27 am

Sparrowhawk wrote: I accept your arguments, although I personally disagree. ;)

Still, I think that we both agree that the bulk of the magazine is great
'Ditto' and 'yep'! :wink:

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:01 pm

The original Tomb Raider is nearly ten years old.
Where does everybody stand on the N64 then?

Retroscrooge

Re:

Post by Retroscrooge » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:01 pm

Crunchy wrote:I wrote an equally patronising reply unfortunately so I've deleted it.
I just can't be bothered.
Sorry. I tried to make my post a little light-hearted, obviously I failed. :(
Retrogaming since 1895.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:03 pm

Crunchy wrote:
Mainly on the front where the joypad ports are as there's less chance of it breaking...

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:07 pm

Ba-dm *tsh*!

Now, where's the juggling unicyclist got to?
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

helloall

Post by helloall » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:26 pm

I won't quote you :D

but I have to say beautifully put retroscrooge!

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:24 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Crunchy wrote:
Mainly on the front where the joypad ports are as there's less chance of it breaking...
You'll be here all week?
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Timppa

Post by Timppa » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:58 am

I haven't yet finished reading issue 20. Great issue (I just placed my subscription)!

One thing in Ultimate / Rare article: There were no interviews :( It would have been great to interview someone (if not Stampers self) for it. You should definitely try to reach original authors / workers for more in-depth articles. It is always nice to hear their current thougts and tales about retro gaming history. Desert Island Disk is my favorite serie in the mag.

Anyway, good issue and good luck in future

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:09 am

Timppa wrote:I haven't yet finished reading issue 20. Great issue (I just placed my subscription)!

One thing in Ultimate / Rare article: There were no interviews :( It would have been great to interview someone (if not Stampers self) for it. You should definitely try to reach original authors / workers for more in-depth articles. It is always nice to hear their current thougts and tales about retro gaming history. Desert Island Disk is my favorite serie in the mag.

Anyway, good issue and good luck in future
Sadly, we were unable to reach anyone at Rare for the interview, and the Stampers rarely talk to anyone nowadays.

We're fully aware though that readers want more interaction, so that's exactly what's happening from issue 21.

For starters, you'll see a shift in focus from the classic games. Rather than be simple retrospective looks, there will be at least one making of each month.

There's other stuff as well, but you're going to have to wait 8)

Spiff

Re:

Post by Spiff » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:09 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:For starters, you'll see a shift in focus from the classic games. Rather than be simple retrospective looks, there will be at least one making of each month.
Cool!