Issue 20 is here

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

LeeT

Re:

Post by LeeT » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:23 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
Mayhem wrote:On the other hand, there are plenty of people, including myself, who want to know, or already have an interest in machines and retrogaming in the US, Japan or further afield (as Jon did with Brazil).
Actually, that Brazil piece was excellent. I could have quite happily read another two pages on it.
I agree - as I said in my feedback for both Issue 19 and 20, the 'Global Gaming' articles could do with being increased to four pages.

As long as an article is interesting and informative (whether its covering arcades in brighton or Bombay), then I'll read it!

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:27 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
Mayhem wrote:On the other hand, there are plenty of people, including myself, who want to know, or already have an interest in machines and retrogaming in the US, Japan or further afield (as Jon did with Brazil).
Actually, that Brazil piece was excellent. I could have quite happily read another two pages on it.
Me too. Excellent article
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Mayhem

Re:

Post by Mayhem » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:18 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:If we were desperate to attract the US we'd stick atari on the front cover every month ;)
Given current retro trends in the US, it would be better sticking an NES on the front. Lots of 18-30 year olds getting the bug again and most of them grew up with Nintendo's first console.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Ash

Post by Ash » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:47 pm

You could be right Matt. When I worked at Gamestation this summer a Canadian guy came in and bought all our NES pads. He said that you couldn't find them in the US or Canada because everyone was going mad for Nintendo.

John

Re:

Post by John » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:16 pm

revgiblet wrote:I liked the Technos article, and when I saw the official game list and the staff list I realised that someone must have put an awful lot of work into writing this - and it turns out to have been you.
Thanks for the comment revgiblet, I really do appreciate it. It was fun compiling all these names and matching them up with one another from all the different titles.

All of these people at Technos spent countless hours on these games, many of which were never released (or saw a limited release in arcades) outside of Japan, and I really wanted to show them my respect and appreciation for all their hard work, even down to the staffer who did PR and box art design. RG allowed former Technos Japan/American Technos staff to receieve a "round of applause" that was long overdue.

- John

Gaztee

River Raid Article

Post by Gaztee » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:18 pm

Just want to know why at the end of the article you said now where's my paddles??? You weren't getting mixed up with kaboom! That used paddles, River raid was a Joystick game

Gaztee
:twisted:

PS Hope to see someone at Jagfest UK this year, hopefully up north! :wink:
I love Aircars

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: River Raid Article

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:20 am

Gaztee wrote:Just want to know why at the end of the article you said now where's my paddles??? You weren't getting mixed up with kaboom! That used paddles, River raid was a Joystick game

Gaztee
:twisted:

PS Hope to see someone at Jagfest UK this year, hopefully up north! :wink:
What can I say, I'm getting very, very old :oops:

As for Jagfest, if you can get more details to me, I'll put it in our diary and will obviously come along.

Xtatic

Post by Xtatic » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:58 pm

Issue 20... simply RULES.

Thank you guys!

Keep up the EXCELENT work.

Cheers!

Just a thought...
What about a calendar about "retro gaming" events (uk & international...)?

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:17 pm

Xtatic wrote:Just a thought... What about a calendar about "retro gaming" events (uk & international...)?
That's actually a neat idea. Maybe the current page with upcoming games could be rolled into a calendar, including essential release dates, events, and so on, akin to what Wired does.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:18 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
Xtatic wrote:Just a thought... What about a calendar about "retro gaming" events (uk & international...)?
That's actually a neat idea. Maybe the current page with upcoming games could be rolled into a calendar, including essential release dates, events, and so on, akin to what Wired does.
yeah, that's what it's for. If people want to send me dates I'll get it all up :)

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:43 pm

Finally done reading #20, so here is a summary of both 19&20:

20 front page: Undecided. Has its own style. But way more interesting than a photo collage!

News: Not chopping off picture corners (as much) was an improvement.

Archer: What a goldmine you have found. But where is the interview and softography of him! (still to come, right?)
I expect none less than a thorough look at every game of his with extensive comments from the author and stories from behind the scenes. Can't wait.

America free retro: A big "huh?" all around. GamesTM was my first thought, and I'm not sure how much it adds to the mag.

Back to the 80s: I can see the value for those who were not there, but I "was there" and I expect a lot of the readers were too, so it is not much more than a wallowing in nostalgia for its own sake...

Full screen pixelated screenshots: Funny, but I think it only works well for the Spectrum and other very monocromatic machinery. The blend-in designed for a screen is totally missing here and make the games look ugly. Are they captured in an emulator and imported directly into the publishing tool? How about doing it the old-fashioned way and photographing it from a monitor instead?

From the forum: Clean up the pixels or scale them down if they are not supposed to be read.

Rare: Should have mentioned that GTW64 has the C= 64 version of Solar Jetman available. I miss having some official words from some of the involved people.

I liked the AmSoft article.

ZX Spectrum perfect 10: For me it feels wrong to include a game that originated on another machine and is considered to be better there (Elite).

Simon the Sorcerer: Good.

Magnietic Fields: Very good.

Tomb Raider: Utterly not retro for me. It kind of pisses me off to have this instead of something "properly retro". (I might be easily tickled...)

DID Pickford brothers: Now this is the stuff you buy magazines for. An exclusive experience you can't find elsewhere and an interesting read. More. Please.

SIR: Interviews is one of the things you do best. Was it done a long time ago? He has found one of the missing pictures you know...

Price listings: This tastes like filler material to me. The prices seem way to low for some of the hw too (IMO).

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:30 am

Some very good points there, a lot of which I agree with:

Firstly American free retro - Total agreement!

Archers page - enjoyed his articles even though no retrogaming mentioned in issue 20. Would be good to have another look at his legendary arcade machine collection!

I also felt that the Rare article was a bit general and didn't contain enough new info. I enjoyed reading it but I'm pretty sure that I'd already read most of it on various other articles / web pages. Nothing new.

To me the Tomb Raider article (which I also enjoyed reading) had the scent of being basically a large ad for the new tomb raider due for release shortly. I loved playing Tomb Raider and as it was released nearly 9 years ago now I think it's coming close to retro but to throw it back at us when a new Tomb Raider game is just round the corner.....

And yes, the price listing guide really doesn't need printing in every issue and is very inaccurate in some instances (although it does state that all prices will vary).

On the whole RG is still a great read and certainly the most enjoyable magazine on the computer mag cct at the mo.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Szczepaniak

Re:

Post by Szczepaniak » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:20 am

CraigGrannell wrote:Actually, that Brazil piece was excellent. I could have quite happily read another two pages on it.
Thank you for the kind words, I am endevouring to covering a little slice of each region's gaming history (dare I reveal what is next?). So as someone mentioned previously, Australia has been covered, and other European, Asian, Africa, American (North, Middle and South) and Middle Eastern countries will be covered as well.

As for the Brazil feature, I had to cut two pages for space, which covered TecToy. On the other hand, this means I can flesh it out nicely for a company look back article in the future. I managed to find someone to help translate their official history into English, meaning it should, in theory, detail things about them that no other magazine has really covered in-depth. Plus I have images of nearly every game they developed, so it should prove worthwhile.

What you must remember with GG, is that all of it has to be fresh research on a country I (and everyone else) might only know a little about. I need to find locals who speak English and are willing to help. For me it takes a helluva lot more effort to write than anything else I've done.

Still, glad it's being received so positively. The next issue we should have something special, since Darran went out of his way to find something a little further afield, connecting quite nicely with GG. ;)