US readers -- when do you see the mag in your stores?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

matt

US readers -- when do you see the mag in your stores?

Post by matt » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:16 pm

I'm curious as to when other US readers are seeing the mag pop up in B&N or Borders or whatever?

Here in Boston, it seems very random. Last week, I was able to pick up 73 and 72 at the same time. Today, 74 was there, but only two copies...
I'm Matt, I'm a British geek living in Boston... working on free music at http://libre.fm

Jet Pilot

Re: US readers -- when do you see the mag in your stores?

Post by Jet Pilot » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:10 pm

matt wrote:I'm curious as to when other US readers are seeing the mag pop up in B&N or Borders or whatever?

Here in Boston, it seems very random. Last week, I was able to pick up 73 and 72 at the same time. Today, 74 was there, but only two copies...
It usually shows up in my Barnes & Noble in KY about 4-6 weeks after I receive my subscription copy (which is usually 1-2 weeks after UK subs get their subscription copies). For example, the Ghosts and Goblins issue just arrived and I received the John Romero issue about a week ago from my subscription.
Last edited by Jet Pilot on Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

MulderWasTaken

Post by MulderWasTaken » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:38 pm

In the Bay Area (California), we are 2 issues behind. Right now B&N has issue 73 which they get it around this time of the month. Usually 5-6 copies. And B&N is the only place to get it around here. Borders does not carry it. But enough of waiting for me, I've subscribed last month, so 76 will be my first one :D Cheers me!

Miketendo

Post by Miketendo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:48 pm

I'll be honest, it's sometimes really tough to follow the magazine. B&N typically is an issue behind usually, and they get 1-3 copies. It's tough because some B&N carry it and others don't so I usually have to go to my local B&N here in Waterbury, CT. I tend to miss some issues. For example, I go every month to get the latest issue, but 72 I missed. 73 I grabbed. 74 I also just picked up, and I got lucky as there was only 1 left. Usually whenever the issue on the main website changes I go pick up the previous one at B&N, but lately it has been off.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:09 pm

It is tempting to subscribe, it really is. In NZ we not only get it a couple of months late, but at a ridiculous price. I only found out how badly we are ripped off when I travelled to Australia-Basically across a ditch-And found they were more recent issues on the shelf for about half the cost. $23 in NZ, $13 in Australia.
No way is the publishing house to blame though, it has to be the greedy distributors milking a bit more profit for themselves.

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:53 pm

Miketendo wrote:I'll be honest, it's sometimes really tough to follow the magazine. B&N typically is an issue behind usually, and they get 1-3 copies. It's tough because some B&N carry it and others don't so I usually have to go to my local B&N here in Waterbury, CT. I tend to miss some issues. For example, I go every month to get the latest issue, but 72 I missed. 73 I grabbed. 74 I also just picked up, and I got lucky as there was only 1 left. Usually whenever the issue on the main website changes I go pick up the previous one at B&N, but lately it has been off.
If you read the magazine on a regular basis then you should subscribe. $80 for 13 issues is a savings of $50 over buying it from B&N (not to mention you'll get every issue and you'll get them on time...about 7-10 days after the UK subs get their copies).

https://imagine.subscribeonline.co.uk/a ... etro-gamer

Enter code "YOUTUBE" for the discount.

Miketendo

Post by Miketendo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:34 am

Jet Pilot wrote:
Miketendo wrote:I'll be honest, it's sometimes really tough to follow the magazine. B&N typically is an issue behind usually, and they get 1-3 copies. It's tough because some B&N carry it and others don't so I usually have to go to my local B&N here in Waterbury, CT. I tend to miss some issues. For example, I go every month to get the latest issue, but 72 I missed. 73 I grabbed. 74 I also just picked up, and I got lucky as there was only 1 left. Usually whenever the issue on the main website changes I go pick up the previous one at B&N, but lately it has been off.
If you read the magazine on a regular basis then you should subscribe. $80 for 13 issues is a savings of $50 over buying it from B&N (not to mention you'll get every issue and you'll get them on time...about 7-10 days after the UK subs get their copies).

https://imagine.subscribeonline.co.uk/a ... etro-gamer

Enter code "YOUTUBE" for the discount.
When I get a bit more cash I'll have to look into this. I also figured it'd keep the issues more popular in the US. I'm sure it helps them somewhat if we're picking it up off the newsstands too.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:13 am

kiwimike wrote:$23 in NZ, $13 in Australia. No way is the publishing house to blame though, it has to be the greedy distributors milking a bit more profit for themselves.
That's the problem with import versus subscriptions—middle-men have an awful lot of fun. When I lived in Iceland about seven years ago, the price of magazines there was absolutely shocking. While its market is small (total population of a little over 300,000, many of whom obviously aren't active consumers), the mark-up isn't slight. At the time, a British magazine costing a fiver would be on the shelves for about £18!

So, yeah, all you non-Brits: subscribe. Also, while there's a good point made earlier that local sales keep the mag on the shelves, subscriptions keep the mag in production. If Retro Gamer suddenly and magically got another thousand subscribers today, I'm sure the bean-counters at Imagine would be doing a 'happy dance' for a month at least.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:20 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
kiwimike wrote:$23 in NZ, $13 in Australia. No way is the publishing house to blame though, it has to be the greedy distributors milking a bit more profit for themselves.
That's the problem with import versus subscriptions—middle-men have an awful lot of fun. When I lived in Iceland about seven years ago, the price of magazines there was absolutely shocking. While its market is small (total population of a little over 300,000, many of whom obviously aren't active consumers), the mark-up isn't slight. At the time, a British magazine costing a fiver would be on the shelves for about £18!

So, yeah, all you non-Brits: subscribe. Also, while there's a good point made earlier that local sales keep the mag on the shelves, subscriptions keep the mag in production. If Retro Gamer suddenly and magically got another thousand subscribers today, I'm sure the bean-counters at Imagine would be doing a 'happy dance' for a month at least.
...And while they're in mid happy dance, show them your post convincing us foreign types to sub up...gotta be worth some commission for ya! :wink:

matt

Post by matt » Mon May 03, 2010 12:08 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:So, yeah, all you non-Brits: subscribe.
Done. Promo code 'CLASSIC' is the way to go -- 13 issues for 50 quid, instead of 80.
I'm Matt, I'm a British geek living in Boston... working on free music at http://libre.fm

romeoteknik

Post by romeoteknik » Thu May 06, 2010 5:01 pm

That 50 quid comes out to about $80, well worth the money IMO. Quality stuff.

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Thu May 06, 2010 10:48 pm

romeoteknik wrote:That 50 quid comes out to about $80, well worth the money IMO. Quality stuff.
I've been subscribing for almost a year now. My favorite magazine.

MulderWasTaken

Post by MulderWasTaken » Fri May 14, 2010 7:17 pm

Frys now carry the magazine!!! :D This is great news, as Frys is the biggest nerd/tech/men place to browse and buy electronics/dvds/games. They had several #74.

matt

Post by matt » Tue May 18, 2010 3:20 pm

I wish we had a Frys out on the East Coast. We have Microcenter, which would be a nice place to sell it, but then so would Gamestop.

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Tue May 18, 2010 7:52 pm

matt wrote:I wish we had a Frys out on the East Coast. We have Microcenter, which would be a nice place to sell it, but then so would Gamestop.
GameStop only sells their lousy in-house publication. How else would they get people to sign up for their ridiculous used game program if they didn't throw in a magazine subscription to make it sound like a good deal (which it isn't)?