Official feedback thread for issue 28

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Post Reply
User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:13 am

Its finally arrived in Scottish newsagents this morning, I've been waiting all week as my sub expired and I wasn't expecting it.

Had a quick skim before work, looking good so far. Nice to see the 3DO feature hasn't skipped over the adult content.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
kaiserpc
Posts: 389
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:20 am
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Post by kaiserpc » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:34 am

Same boat here Antiriad. I had a look in our local WHSmiths (Inverness) on Wednesday and they still had around 20 copies of issue #27.

I'll have another look in today, hopefully they'll have the new issue now :)
c64 > spectrum 48k

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:06 am

Yay me :D

My first mention in the mag 8)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
kaiserpc
Posts: 389
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:20 am
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Post by kaiserpc » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:36 am

it was in WHSmiths :P

but what's with the full page porn adverts, it was bad enough with the small ads. Fortunately my boss didn't walk past as I turned onto that page!
c64 > spectrum 48k

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:38 am

kaiserpc wrote:but what's with the full page porn adverts
Good, aren't they.

I like them there.

It reinforces that, no, its not a kids comic I'm reading and, yes, grown ups play videogames too ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
golgo13
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:30 am
Location: Bristol
Contact:

Post by golgo13 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:12 am

I shall be off to WH Smith tomorrow to pick up the new copy.

GamesTM also features a nice page of porn ad's tp that neither the writers or readers want. They did disappear once though. There was a big discussion about it but the ad's go in after the writers have finished (I think I remember reading).
Crown the wise, harness the talented and cherish the lucky.

Image

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:01 pm

Not entirely true. A vocal minority whine about them in GamesTM, just as here.

I buy both mags, and I really don't care about them. As far as I'm concerned, they generate cash (somehow) and that keeps the mags in business and the cover price low. That's good enough reason for me. Its not like half the websites I visit don't have far worse (or better, depending on pov) banner ads that make the mag ones look like Sunday School teaching aids.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Re:

Post by SirClive » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:57 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Not entirely true. A vocal minority whine about them in GamesTM, just as here.

I buy both mags, and I really don't care about them. As far as I'm concerned, they generate cash (somehow) and that keeps the mags in business and the cover price low. That's good enough reason for me. Its not like half the websites I visit don't have far worse (or better, depending on pov) banner ads that make the mag ones look like Sunday School teaching aids.
But do you not care as much as Dudley doesn't care about binders?
Image

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8712
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:53 pm
Contact:

Post by Dudley » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:04 pm

If it helps I care about porn ads marginally less than I care about binders.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Re:

Post by SirClive » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:06 pm

Dudley wrote:If it helps I care about porn ads marginally less than I care about binders.
It does, thanks.
Image

Gabe
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:24 am

Post by Gabe » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:07 pm

I've only had a brief flick through and it certainly looks enticing, but one thing. If you are going to have Stu Campbell as a regular contributor, can you actually get him to do something other than just list the various titles in a franchise, and his opinion on them? It's very lazy writing and not that interesting.

I don't like Shane much, either. Can't say I've ever found him saying anything of note (I'm sure his radio station showcases him much better).

User avatar
Rev. Stuart Campbell
Posts: 1084
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:28 am

Re:

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:54 pm

Gabe wrote:I've only had a brief flick through and it certainly looks enticing, but one thing. If you are going to have Stu Campbell as a regular contributor, can you actually get him to do something other than just list the various titles in a franchise, and his opinion on them? It's very lazy writing and not that interesting.
If you don't find them interesting, that's fair enough, though you seem to be in a minority. But if you're going to call the Definitive features "lazy", when in fact they're each about 10 times as much work as I've ever done on any other article in my life, then you're looking to get your lights punched out, laddie. I nearly bloody killed myself getting to the bottom of Bubble Bobble, so call it boring, call it rubbish, call it anything you like except "lazy" if you like your teeth where they currently are.

:evil:

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8712
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:53 pm
Contact:

Post by Dudley » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:15 am

I think the basic point missed is to tell us about each game in a series, some poor bugger has to find out exactly what those ARE.

As a random other media example. Some TV fan here....

Quick, without research name all the spin offs of Happy Days.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset

Re:

Post by markopoloman » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:16 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
Gabe wrote:I've only had a brief flick through and it certainly looks enticing, but one thing. If you are going to have Stu Campbell as a regular contributor, can you actually get him to do something other than just list the various titles in a franchise, and his opinion on them? It's very lazy writing and not that interesting.
If you don't find them interesting, that's fair enough, though you seem to be in a minority. But if you're going to call the Definitive features "lazy", when in fact they're each about 10 times as much work as I've ever done on any other article in my life, then you're looking to get your lights punched out, laddie. I nearly bloody killed myself getting to the bottom of Bubble Bobble, so call it boring, call it rubbish, call it anything you like except "lazy" if you like your teeth where they currently are.

:evil:
FIGHT.......

My money is on mr camp ball :lol:

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Post by SirClive » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:19 am

Stu-pot has a point. I don't think anything in the mag can be classed as lazy (except maybe the proof reading :wink: ).

I think the definitives are the best addition to te mag since Daz took over.
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest