Is Anyone else excited about Game Room?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

HalcyonDaze00

Re: Is Anyone else excited about Game Room?

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:37 pm

It looks stunning and I cannot wait. Love the way you can customise and design your arcade how you want it, just hope it really takes off (i think it will do) so they continue releasing loads of games.....

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:54 pm

Like Fat Trucker, I've tinkered with 3D Arcade in the past, so that novelty is somewhat lost. Its fun for a bit, but ends up being far too fiddly to navigate when you actually want to play games.

If the price is right (and that's really the critical bit), it could be good. Ideally I'd want score tables for friends, but I'd also want custom groups, so I can create subsets of friends, or compare scores with people regularly who aren't on my friends list.

Time bound challenges, set high scores within a week etc, could be like the Retro League.

Lets just hope its not restricted to Gold Members else its a complete non-starter. I'm not paying a sub just for that.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

merman

Post by merman » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:09 am

I have my doubts about it, right now. I don't really see the benefit of wrapping the games up in an extra layer of presentation - I want to launch a game and get on with it, an area where the Wii's channel system has a distinct advantage.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:00 pm

merman wrote:I have my doubts about it, right now. I don't really see the benefit of wrapping the games up in an extra layer of presentation - I want to launch a game and get on with it, an area where the Wii's channel system has a distinct advantage.
But I want to compete with my mates on online scoreboards. This is going to be amaze.

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:03 am

If challenging your mates for scores floats your boat then I guess that'll be great for some people. As for me, I just see it as another way of playing old games on your new system. Been there, done that several times over already.

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:20 am

CraigGrannell wrote:Pfft! A real gamer would buy Luna City arcade. *drools*
Me want it so bad!

Denny Haynes

Post by Denny Haynes » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:31 am

Nope not at all, i'll carry on using Mame!
I,m gonna live forever or die trying!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:20 pm

So... Will they be sticking virtual Mega Drives, Dreamcasts and PlayStations in there, so you can play your "Console Classics"?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:54 pm

Would be a great idea if you can enter an arcade and openly chat to all the players in there. That would be cool and create a bustle like an arcade. Also being able to hear the other machines playing in the background would be very smart.

If you cant well its just a pointless gimick, fun if you are a high score chaser mind.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:00 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Will they be sticking virtual PlayStations in there
No chance of that :P

PacSuit

Post by PacSuit » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:12 pm

It could make a good replacement, but it won't match the real thing. :(

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:49 pm

nakamura wrote:Would be a great idea if you can enter an arcade and openly chat to all the players in there. That would be cool and create a bustle like an arcade. Also being able to hear the other machines playing in the background would be very smart.

If you cant well its just a pointless gimick, fun if you are a high score chaser mind.
No it will work like Xbox Party, so you can chat with anyone who you invite into your arcade. As for the Mame thing that's all well and good but it is technically stealing ;)

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:08 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
nakamura wrote:Would be a great idea if you can enter an arcade and openly chat to all the players in there. That would be cool and create a bustle like an arcade. Also being able to hear the other machines playing in the background would be very smart.

No it will work like Xbox Party, so you can chat with anyone who you invite into your arcade. As for the Mame thing that's all well and good but it is technically stealing ;)
You are not one to talk about that! :lol:
Well the party idea sounds decent. Can anyone join your arcade or is it only friends?
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:43 pm

I'd imagine you can invite anyway, but let's face it, why would you want to? I can see me, Mickey T and a few others getting into some intense competitions, more so once the likes of Space Invaders etc arrive.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:44 pm

PacSuit wrote:It could make a good replacement, but it won't match the real thing. :(
Well of course it wont, but the real thing is dead and gone, at least in the UK.