Is Anyone else excited about Game Room?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Darran@Retro Gamer

Is Anyone else excited about Game Room?

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:57 pm

Because I am. While I can take a leave avatars, the ability to build up a collection of classic arcade machines and then being able to play them with mates is getting me massively excited. I've lost count of the amount of hours I used to spend in the arcades and this is looking like the perfect way to relive those childhood memories.

What does everyone else think?

FatTrucker

Re: Is Anyone else excited about Game Room?

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:59 pm

Yeah it does look pretty funky. Wonder if other than the ability to purchase machines anyone will include new machines/systems as unlockables/achievements/bonus content on other full price titles?.

I've got an install of 3D Arcade on my PC which is pretty much the same thing visually but the whole network element could be very cool.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:09 pm

Pfft! A real gamer would buy Luna City arcade. *drools*
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:14 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:Pfft! A real gamer would buy Luna City arcade. *drools*
Perhaps you should all petition Imagine to buy it as the new RG HQ?.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.

Wil

Post by Wil » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:06 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:Pfft! A real gamer would buy Luna City arcade. *drools*
That place does look fantastic. Full marks to Pete Hirschberg for living the dream (and for Vector Tanks, which is fab).

The weird thing about Game Room is that I'm more excited to see all the little cab replicas than actually playing the games.

Roo

Post by Roo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:07 pm

I'd much rather still have an actual arcade down the road than a virtual one inside my 360. Mind you, so would everyone.

WildWillyWilson

Post by WildWillyWilson » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:10 pm

Is Game Room only on the 360 or PS3 also?

Must admit I dont know much about it, any links chaps?

EDIT: Found a link, 360 / PC only!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:33 pm

WildWillyWilson wrote:Is Game Room only on the 360 or PS3 also?

Must admit I dont know much about it, any links chaps?

EDIT: Found a link, 360 / PC only!
Until it takes off/Starts making money? Then Sony decide they want a piece of that pie and something similar appears on PS3, amid claims from sony that...Ohhh, THAT? been working on that for ages...etc.Course, sony have to big thier version up, so it`ll be The DOUBLE Room.Or Room with a view etc etc.Cynical? Moi? :wink:

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:07 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Is Anyone else excited about Game Room?
Yes, I am. It'll be like a less lonely version of Virtual Console. Leaderboards ftw. Bomb Jack please, MS.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:40 pm

I am. Though I probably won't buy many games for it. But Sony need to take a look at this and rethng their Home plans.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:05 pm

SirClive wrote:I am. Though I probably won't buy many games for it. But Sony need to take a look at this and rethng their Home plans.
Sony`s Home is THE Biggest white Elephant, i`ve clapped eyes on, out in the wild. Wretched thing and, like you rightly say Sir Clive, with MS rolling out stuff like room, just going to show home up even more.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:17 pm

Unless they have virtual smoke to fill the room with dubious looking people hanging around swigging beer as well as a virtual mother (sounds menacing :shock: ) outside so you can ask, or is that plead for more money then no I'm not too impressed as it all sounds a bit gimickey for promoting games we already have or experienced. You could never recreate the real thing again it was part of gaming history and you had to be there at the time to fully experience it. :wink:

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:30 pm

Doddsy wrote:Unless they have virtual smoke to fill the room with dubious looking people hanging around swigging beer as well as a virtual mother (sounds menacing :shock: ) outside so you can ask, or is that plead for more money then no I'm not too impressed as it all sounds a bit gimickey for promoting games we already have or experienced. You could never recreate the real thing again it was part of gaming history and you had to be there at the time to fully experience it. :wink:
You`d also have a virtua stranger pop up and tell you he could get past the bit your having trouble on, if you let him have 20P for a few credits, :wink:

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:33 pm

I was just going to say they'd have to implement someone asking to borrow 10p off you and also the odd game with controls that don't work right.
Splink!

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:04 pm

felgekarp wrote:I was just going to say they'd have to implement someone asking to borrow 10p off you and also the odd game with controls that don't work right.
And broken tiles on Tiger Heli, never saw one of those cabs in the wild that didn't have at least one graphic fault/glitch.