Retro Gamer Now On IPhone

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

eggman1973

Re: Retro Gamer Now On IPhone

Post by eggman1973 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:22 pm

I have to say, I am really looking forward to the inevitable iPad version of this app. I stopped subscribing to RG some time ago, partly due to running out of room to store my magazines, and partly because I didn't feel that I was enjoying the mag enough to justify spending what I was on the subs.

However, from what I've seen of the app on my iPod, I do think I'd be inclined to re-subscribe exclusively to this electronic version, this really does look like it's going to be great on the iPad. This really is the future for me, and it seems to be just round the corner!

Apart from the UI issues brought up by other users, the only gripe I have with the app at the moment is the lack of a preview of the back issues / new issues available to purchase within the app; how about a full-size preview of the Contents page for each magazine as you select it, just so we can see what content we'd be buying, for each magazine? This way I'd know in advance whether I'm more likely to enjoy the issue that I'm considering buying, or not.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:22 am

Bought the app yesterday. Not bad, but will only really get it's chance to shine on something like an i-pad as it's a pain zooming in & out all the while on my Touch
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:19 pm

It really does need the pinch and column sensing zoom from Safari though.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

BJWanlund

Post by BJWanlund » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:32 am

Fantastic app!! US$1.99 isn't too much to pay to be able to get the latest issue. Although I've already spent US$27 (US$22 for the 6-month subscription and US$5 for the issue about the Game Boy) on top of that, so help me God. :oops:

And, once all the back issues come on the app, it will be amazing. And once I get an iPad (whether I win one or whether I save up the scratch to buy one), it will be even more awesome. Can't wait to really give this app a thorough shakedown.

BJ

OriginalJax

Post by OriginalJax » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:40 pm

After my initial bitching (and a recent update), the app seems to work fine now.

It's a bit slooooow tho. But functional.
WTF!? The 80's are GONE!? And they're never coming BACK!?

mrfrisky

Post by mrfrisky » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:01 pm

well, im afraid I wont be paying double for the same magazine, though offering subscribers access for free would be very handy instead of taking the magazine with you.

seanmcmanus

Post by seanmcmanus » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:02 am

It's a nice app and works well for me. It failed to download the full issue when I bought it yesterday though, so I'm hoping the customer service behind it is good...

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:29 am

Anyone tried it on a pad yet?
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

MrK

Post by MrK » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:51 am

...I like it, just too small. When the iPad is out I would definitely subscribe to it in preference to my print subscription....maybe. Are you going to be doing what WIRED have done? go all futuristic with a "proper" magazine format with flashy (excused the pun) new media?

Whatever, all good stuff! keep going Retro! :-)

Mar

Post by Mar » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:19 am

Only stumbled upon this app today and was kind of surprised. I had been talking with a number of people saying that if my favourite mags could do a subscription service on the iPad I'd just have to buy one. Well, now here you guys are, and I'm really excited (although my bank balance is going to be slightly depressed).

Seeing as the iPad hasn't been released here in Aus yet, I downloaded the iPhone version of it and I'm reasonably impressed. It's slow (on my original 3G), it does crash every now and again, and some of the UI is hard to get around. But over all I'm pretty happy with it. I got used to it after a while and was enjoying reading the articles on my tiny screen.

I don't see this e-mag thing as a bad thing like most in this thread do. I see it as something that is needed right now to revive the print world, to make magazines relevant again. People don't want to have to track down a magazine anymore, nor do they have the space to store them. Personally, I love having the real physical copy in my hands. But having all the issues on a small device easily available for reference is too much of an advantage.

Anyway, I'm enjoying it so far and I hope it improves over time. I notice however there's only a few issues up at the moment, is there plans to add them all? I'm keen to buy the really old ones that I've missed out on.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:22 pm

I'd imagine that all issues will be added eventually.

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Mon May 31, 2010 6:51 pm

I'd be interested in these digital magazines but I don't have an iPhone, and I doubt I would ever get one. I did hear recently that the PSP comic reader would get an update making it more versatile - I suppose there's no chance of magazines being available on that though?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon May 31, 2010 7:05 pm

alistair_thomas wrote:I'd be interested in these digital magazines but I don't have an iPhone, and I doubt I would ever get one. I did hear recently that the PSP comic reader would get an update making it more versatile - I suppose there's no chance of magazines being available on that though?
no idea mate.
In other news I picked up an ipad the other day, so i'll show the mag on that.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:07 am

downloaded the iphone app on friday to have a good play with over the weeked.

Obviously I'm aware this is really an app that will shine one ipad and that shrinking a magazine page to iphone screen is problematic - so I have made allowances - but on balace I really was a bit disappointed.

Specifically - the found the controls fiddly and also that they often did unexpected things. My phone and firmware are up to date, so can only assume its the app.

I also found it very slow.

I also feel that if you're a sub - then there should be some way of getting a discount on the £2.99 for each issue - though until the app improves I'd probably not buy any more issues via this method.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:28 am

I really want to try this on my iPad but it doesn't want to recognise my log in. Am sure it is my fault and not the app, but it is damn annoying.