Retro Gamer Now On IPhone

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Retro Gamer Now On IPhone

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:36 am

Adopts Proffessor Farnsworth voice

"Great News Everybody, Retro Gamer is now available in digital form on the iPhone".
For just £1.19 you can download the relevant app and buy the latest copy for free. Back issues and future issues of the magazine will be available for just £2.99. Now you can take Retro Gamer wherever you go. This will of no doubt be of great interest for US subscribers and it's even possible to take out six month or yearly subscriptions.
You can download it now from either iTunes or the AppStore

As always feedback will be greatly appreciated.

SirClive

Re: Retro Gamer Now On IPhone

Post by SirClive » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:18 am

Not sure what to make of this. When the iPad is out I reckon it is a great idea and I would be tempted. But reading on the iPhone I can't quite grasp and I am unlikely to shell out the £1.19 to test it out. But then again, I may do if others say it is good.

Are the out of print back issues available too?

Wil

Post by Wil » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:10 pm

I like it :)

A little small for regular reading on the phone and it'll be tons better once the iPad arrives but well done for getting it out there like this.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:50 pm

SirClive wrote:Not sure what to make of this. When the iPad is out I reckon it is a great idea and I would be tempted. But reading on the iPhone I can't quite grasp and I am unlikely to shell out the £1.19 to test it out. But then again, I may do if others say it is good.

Are the out of print back issues available too?
they will be :)

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:15 pm

I have the new iPhone ordered for when my current 02 contract expires in March. I'm pretty sure I'll be at least sampling some of that.
Thoughts and prayers.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:05 pm

Only problem I have I suppose is that I am more likely to read them on a mobile device, but I want a physical copy too. Certainly can't afford an extra £3 a month on top of my subscription, so how about a reduced rate for people who have a dual subscription? I would be happy to pay an extra £1 a month to get physical and digital.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:13 pm

Its a good idea but not iPod is not ideal - I have a few Zzap64 Pdf's on my iPod Touch (but def do not have any RG's on it - honest :wink: ) but its a bit of a pain zooming in and out to read content, look at pics ect!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:43 pm

Yeah, lovely, whatever...

When are you bringing out an Android app for this?
HADDOCKEN!

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:51 am

SirClive wrote:Only problem I have I suppose is that I am more likely to read them on a mobile device, but I want a physical copy too. Certainly can't afford an extra £3 a month on top of my subscription, so how about a reduced rate for people who have a dual subscription? I would be happy to pay an extra £1 a month to get physical and digital.
One of the mags I write for's just sorted its online archive. MacFormat now gives subscribers access to an area where they can get PDFs of entire issues. They don't charge anything for this, though.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:36 am

I would be will to pay a premium sub - maybe an extra tenner a year to get both - but the physical mag is a must have. If it happened for free that would be even sweeter....

Wil

Post by Wil » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:10 pm

Well, I've just finished reading the latest issue on the iPhone. Interface is nice and simple and the default zoom is pretty good (didn't really need to keep resizing it). I think I'd go for a sub on the iPad but only pick up the odd issue on the phone just because of the size issue.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:13 pm

yes..I mentioned this before in the Ipad Thread about doing the issues Of Retro Gamer Magazine for download, looks like they took the advice ;) (I should get a discount lol hahah fat chance!) and I think other popular Magazines should to do the same, the only problem I have is the Price.. £2.99 = €3.44 euro, than magazine is only €7.80 over here, which is a saving of €4.40 which isn't bad I suppose, but are the new issues gonna be a separate app download every-time? or will the app itself be intelligent enough to add the new or older issues? to the first installed app from the get-go?

and the search doesn't work too well either, that needs addressing..as the pages are BMP images rather than text based PDF documents so the search engine is no use..as it can't search by page, also it wouldn't be a bad Idea to have the contents page have a direct jump linker to feature linked to each article, rather than finger pushing to that chosen page or article..but a great little break through for you triple the coverage of the magazine.. a pat on the back from who came up with this one....;)
↓↓Click Banners to See More↓↓
ImageImage

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:06 pm

Greyfox wrote:yes..I mentioned this before in the Ipad Thread about doing the issues Of Retro Gamer Magazine for download, looks like they took the advice ;) (I should get a discount lol hahah fat chance!) and I think other popular Magazines should to do the same, the only problem I have is the Price.. £2.99 = €3.44 euro, than magazine is only €7.80 over here, which is a saving of €4.40 which isn't bad I suppose, but are the new issues gonna be a separate app download every-time? or will the app itself be intelligent enough to add the new or older issues? to the first installed app from the get-go?

and the search doesn't work too well either, that needs addressing..as the pages are BMP images rather than text based PDF documents so the search engine is no use..as it can't search by page, also it wouldn't be a bad Idea to have the contents page have a direct jump linker to feature linked to each article, rather than finger pushing to that chosen page or article..but a great little break through for you triple the coverage of the magazine.. a pat on the back from who came up with this one....;)

Oh my , two threads you say..
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

eggman1973

Post by eggman1973 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:58 am

I've had a look at this on my iPod Touch, and whilst I welcome the chance to read my favourite gaming mag 'on the go' I do think that I'd prefer to be doing this on an iPad; the only problem with this current app being used on an iPad would be that the current screen view would presumably be scaled to fit the larger iPad screen size and resolution and would be no more useful for reading the magazine than the iPod currently is (ie same limited view and blockier to boot)...

What would be great would be an iPad-specific app; is this likely to be forthcoming, or can I rest assured that the iPod app will scale better than I imagine it might?

This current app is a great start though, and once it becomes a little more responsive and quicker to use, it'll be so worth the download!

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:48 pm

Fantastic, it'ill ding dang do for me!