Issue 73 feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Issue 73 feedback

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:38 pm

If you think 32-bit is too new, goodness knows what will happen when you see the PS2 game that's in issue 75...

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:04 pm

It's not some remake of Strider that only you've found, is it? :wink:
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

pforson

Post by pforson » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:16 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:If you think 32-bit is too new, goodness knows what will happen when you see the PS2 game that's in issue 75...
You really better be joking. Don't make me have to come down and sort you ladies out...
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:24 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:If you think 32-bit is too new, goodness knows what will happen when you see the PS2 game that's in issue 75...
Not bothered, unlike some i'm able to pick & choose what I want to read without having a hernia
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:41 pm

Love it! :lol:

PS2 ain't retro.... but there's some retro games on PS2 in that there are some very dated games on there now, that never the less remain as classics. Onimusha anyone? Frequency? Fantavision?
Nintendo DS games: 41

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:22 pm

Don't you think things like R-Type Final or Gradius V are retro by now?

No? Well shut up, I want to read about them anyway :P
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:06 am

kelp7 wrote:I think it's possibly high-time for a little more CPC focus in the magazine possibly...
For the love of god, no! Some of the pro CPC fantasies on the forum have been bad enough in the past, but I swear to god if I have to read the likes of "CPC Bombjack is better than the speccy version!!11" trotted out in the mag as well, I'll blow a Z80.
:wink:
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:32 am

To be fair the game in question is better known as a DC game (which is the one I was playing). I thought it came out several years later on the PS2 but it was released in Japan at the same time.

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:34 am

Rez?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:58 am

kelp7 wrote:Not bothered, unlike some i'm able to pick & choose what I want to read without having a hernia
On the other hand its a thread about 'feedback' so people who buy the magazine can give criticism or positive feedback. If everyone was not bothered the feedback thread would be quite empty !

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:01 pm

psj3809 wrote:On the other hand its a thread about 'feedback' so people who buy the magazine can give criticism or positive feedback. If everyone was not bothered the feedback thread would be quite empty !
Lovely but the kind of feedback thrown around in this place verges a tad on the hysterical side sometimes. But it's good to see such passion for sure. I prefer the feedback about how things are written and what sections are working / not working etc etc rather than "what the hell did you cover that for?" sort of feedback. I just ignore the articles i'm not particularly interested in. That's all.
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:06 pm

Duddyroar wrote:Rez?
Oh, man, I hope so. In fact, if it isn't, we'll have to have words with Mr Jones.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:31 pm

Is it either Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 or Silent Scope?
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

DaveChapman

Post by DaveChapman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:14 pm

Blimey, how on earth did you manage to track down Wilson, Wheeler and Birrell for the Dan Dare article? That must have surely involved clues, quests, epic journeys and dragon slaying! Anyway, great article, even if I do suddenly feel a whole lot older.

Martin's right about me spending time writing editors and utilities, we had Melbourne Draw which was great for loading screens but in-game graphics required something a little more custom. We started off with 8x8 'characters', joined them together to create objects, joined those together to create screens and eventually ended up with the Dan Dare world. We called it 'ObjDes', somehow managed to control it with a Kempston joystick and used it for a few more games after that. We spoiled our artists in those days.

The article has credited me for the Amstrad version. I've got to admit, all I did was finish it off after Steve Webb left the company. Luckily it wasn't too different to the ZX version, good job we went for the "obvious thing of Dan running around with a ray gun shooting Treens", eh, Mr Wilson? :wink:

I've got a feeling I might be the only one of the gang that's still churning out games...! My mum's still got 'that' photo on her sideboard (and I'm fairly sure she's still waiting for me to get a proper job).

DaveC

merman

Post by merman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:49 am

DaveChapman wrote:Blimey, how on earth did you manage to track down Wilson, Wheeler and Birrell for the Dan Dare article? That must have surely involved clues, quests, epic journeys and dragon slaying! Anyway, great article, even if I do suddenly feel a whole lot older.

Martin's right about me spending time writing editors and utilities, we had Melbourne Draw which was great for loading screens but in-game graphics required something a little more custom. We started off with 8x8 'characters', joined them together to create objects, joined those together to create screens and eventually ended up with the Dan Dare world. We called it 'ObjDes', somehow managed to control it with a Kempston joystick and used it for a few more games after that. We spoiled our artists in those days.

The article has credited me for the Amstrad version. I've got to admit, all I did was finish it off after Steve Webb left the company. Luckily it wasn't too different to the ZX version, good job we went for the "obvious thing of Dan running around with a ray gun shooting Treens", eh, Mr Wilson? :wink:

I've got a feeling I might be the only one of the gang that's still churning out games...! My mum's still got 'that' photo on her sideboard (and I'm fairly sure she's still waiting for me to get a proper job).

DaveC
Hi Dave, thanks for posting on the forum and glad you enjoyed the article. I have to give credit to Frank Gasking for tracking down Simon Birrell and Andy Wilson in the first place for his Games That Weren't site. I did track down Martin myself - he is still designing games, now for the iPhone, as well making music under the name Vector Lovers. It's a shame Ian Mathias didn't get back to me in time for the article.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube