Issue 73 feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Wil

Re: Issue 73 feedback

Post by Wil » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:03 am

Mr Vengeance wrote: you could have two mags - "80's gamer" and "90's gamer", which would sort out a lot of the issues people have.
Ummm... '70s Gamer

Lots of beige and orange, 2600, Odyssey, Videopac, b&w and still loads of electro-magnetic stuff in the arcades.

Nice :)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:07 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
BUT, can't really see the relevance of Darren's introduction this month? Talking about the new add-ons for consoles? Maybe if he referred back to the 32X or something, but the "time will tell" aspect of it all seems a bit Edge-like to me.
Yes the 32X bit was cut. It's basically a piece on how videogaming keeps going in circles and if the industry paid attention to its past it wouldn't have so many issues with its present. The very fact I'm having to explain it suggests it wasn't a good editorial. I'll write about Strider next month.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:45 am

If I wrote for the magazine I'd get quite depressed with the incessant whining and the criticism of my articles by people on this thread.

"Why didn't you do this?"
"Why did you do this?"
"I'd do it this way."
"I'd do it that way."
“Why do you talk about Nintendo/Sony/Sega/Sinclair/Amstrad so much?”

If people think they can do better then they should start their own retro magazines/fanzines!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:12 am

greenberet79 wrote:If I wrote for the magazine I'd get quite depressed with the incessant whining and the criticism of my articles by people on this thread.
With respect, thats b*llocks - its a feedback thread where Darran is asking for feedback from its readers. Sure, sometimes we go on and on about the same old thing but all feedback is good.

Would you rather we all just licked Darran's arse and said everything is perfect?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:47 am

i liked the editorial - why? Because normally it's just a quick summary of the mag - but this month we got a little bit of food for thought. would be happy to see more editorials like that.

Dazzyb1973

Post by Dazzyb1973 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:06 pm

The cover was a real appetizer, pity the article had little or no content.
Ultimate Games were indeed the real deal.
You knew you were getting something amazing, your money well spent.
Its already known the Stamper's were timid creatures.
This secrecy I believe gave their brand even more allure, that's why your article should have reached deep.
I feel it didn't.
Retrogamer can we revisit Ultimate again in the future ?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:34 pm

Dazzyb1973 wrote:The cover was a real appetizer, pity the article had little or no content.
Ultimate Games were indeed the real deal.
You knew you were getting something amazing, your money well spent.
Its already known the Stamper's were timid creatures.
This secrecy I believe gave their brand even more allure, that's why your article should have reached deep.
I feel it didn't.
Retrogamer can we revisit Ultimate again in the future ?
I'll disagree with you.

The stampers are ridiculously difficult to interview, in fact I've managed to get hold of them once in three years. With that in mind, you have to decide as an editor. Do you run an article and get info from the next best source (Mark was a playtester when they were still working on the speccy games) or do you hold off under the delusion that an interview eventually turns up and risk upsetting your readers as you never covered a classic series full stop.

If we do get the Stampers then rest assured there will be another feature. In the meantime I've never read anything about Sabreman without the Stamper's input that's as good as what's featured in the current issue.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:11 pm

Mr Vengeance wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:we aim to get a balanced issue every month, but it's not always possible. At one stage we were considering splitting the mag into different time periods but that wouldn't have worked either.

It's not always easy getting the balance right, but in general I think we do pretty well each month. I've been doing this for a while now and have a pretty good idea (most times) what people want. Having said that, RG is one of the most difficult mags I've ever been involved with, simply because every single reader appears to want the magazine filled with whatever most appeals to them.
I appreciate its hard Darren. I was thinking myself that you could have two mags - "80's gamer" and "90's gamer", which would sort out a lot of the issues people have. This however might not financially viable, it would also mean twice as much work. And there's the fact that there would be overpill too between both periods, what with the Mega Drive and PC Engine being released in one decade, and seeing their popularity rise in the next one, for example....

I think "theming" the issues around one period or the next is the best way forward. Its what you are doing now to a degree, and in the future you could make it even more apparent.

I like it the way it is, I really do. Aside from a vocal minority, most are happy with the variety from issue to issue. Personal taste is subjective, and of course you will enjoy some issues more than others, but to me if you enjoy your gaming and gaming history with an open mind the magazine is well done. Is that sucking up? In a way, but I think credit where it's due.
I have a problem with the two issue (70s Gamer/80s gamer, 90s Gamer) idea for a number of reasons. First, gamers like me that like the entire history of gaming would be forced to buy two magazines, because some readers expect the content they want every month. Secondly, those same people IMO would still have problems with the mag: Not enough Speccy, too much C64...Too much Atari not enough intellivision...Your mag is SNES baised, wheres the Megadrive, why haven't you....And so on.
Finally, I have a problem with '70s/80s and 90s Gamer mags as IMO retro is an ongoing thing and as the years go on the newer machines will become retro themselves.
To me, it's fine. But there's nothing wrong with constructive feedback if you think it isn't, that's the name of the game! :)

stuartcarnie

Post by stuartcarnie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:19 pm

MikeFishcake wrote:Not been here for a while - still reading the mag, just trying to cut down on my internet forum usage :-P

Anyway, just picked up this issue now and made a few people look strangely at me when I shrieked at the news about the iPhone Amiga emulator. However, i can't find any information online about this. Nothing on the Manomio website, a few news stories about Babylonian Twins, but nothing specifically about the emulator?

Any more news? I'm tingling with anticipation...
Now that the proverbial cat is out of the bag, I just wanted to let you know that we'll be releasing some material on our website in the forthcoming weeks - as I can't elaborate on specific IP's just yet.
Cheers,

Stuart
"That's the metaphorical equivalent of flopping your wedding tackle in a lion's mouth and flicking his love spuds with a wet towel", Rimmer - Red Dwarf

stuartcarnie

Post by stuartcarnie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:36 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
MikeFishcake wrote:Anyway, just picked up this issue now and made a few people look strangely at me when I shrieked at the news about the iPhone Amiga emulator. However, i can't find any information online about this. Nothing on the Manomio website, a few news stories about Babylonian Twins, but nothing specifically about the emulator?
I rather think Retro Gamer has an exclusive there. The devs have been dropping hints about other emulators for a while now via email (months back, I hoped for a Speccy emulator, but they revealed they had "other plans"). Thing is, C64 just about runs at full-speed (but without full SID emulation) on a 3GS, so an Amiga emulator would be a seriously tough proposition.

Also, a pity I came across like a totally moody sod in the sidebar. I think the C64 app's improved a lot and is getting to the stage where it's a worthwhile investment (unless you like Laser Squad, in which case it's probably an essential purchase), but I was clearly in a moany mood the day I posted that response on the forum.
We can't talk about specific IP's yet; however, I see no harm on elaborating a little on the actual emu core. Any Amiga fans are going to love this little gem on a 3GS device - I've been testing a number of scrollers like Xenon II, Turrican, Ghosts 'n Goblins and R-Type, and they are just perfectly smooth, full-speed scrolling. Perhaps we'll throw out a teaser video demonstrating it in action.

Speed was a primary concern, so I spent about 6 weeks and wrote the 68000 CPU core in about 60+% ARM assembly. It even runs respectively on a 3G device, which means it should do well on a 2nd gen touch device too, given the 25% faster clock speed. A big part of the performance is the 3GS has a far superior memory architecture to the older devices, and can really push bytes around fast. It's all this available bandwidth that allows us to achieve full-speed Amiga emulation on a bloddy phone :D

Cheers,

Stu
Cheers,

Stuart
"That's the metaphorical equivalent of flopping your wedding tackle in a lion's mouth and flicking his love spuds with a wet towel", Rimmer - Red Dwarf

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:59 am

kiwimike wrote:I have a problem with the two issue (70s Gamer/80s gamer, 90s Gamer) idea for a number of reasons.
There's also the rather important factor that Retro Gamer is already a niche magazine in a niche market. Making it niche, er, cubed would be a really dumb move, because the mags wouldn't sell enough copies to survive. It's frankly amazing, given the games mag marketplace, that a retro-gaming magazine is still here after over 70 issues, but that's testament to the quality of the material within. But splitting it into several mags would nonetheless kill it stone dead.
stuartcarnie wrote:Any Amiga fans are going to love this little gem on a 3GS device
Have you got the sound emulated as well? If so, that's a pretty massive achievement (and rather ironic, given that the SID isn't fully emulated in Commodore 64 yet).

ZX Spectrum emulator next, please! March release for that OK by you? :D
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:11 am

CraigGrannell wrote:There's also the rather important factor that Retro Gamer is already a niche magazine in a niche market. Making it niche, er, cubed would be a really dumb move, because the mags wouldn't sell enough copies to survive. It's frankly amazing, given the games mag marketplace, that a retro-gaming magazine is still here after over 70 issues, but that's testament to the quality of the material within. But splitting it into several mags would nonetheless kill it stone dead.
Totally agree ! Be great if Retro Gamer sold 90,000 copies a month and so could 'possibly' split but thats not the case.

Plus if there was an 80's gamer or a 90's gamer you would then get the type of fickle reader who would only buy it if there was an article which interested them, so for the odd month or two when they dont like the look of it sales would be very low for those mags. If people bought it every month or subscribed (not super expensive is it) then it would help out a ton.

Like Craig says though, approaching 75 issues for quite a niche product is superb. Difficult to please everyone but i reckon RG do a great job overall

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:15 am

I hated it when Mean Machines split, even though at the time I didn't own even half of the systems covered - please, lets all just forget anyone mentioned this stupid idea.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:28 am

Smurph wrote:please, lets all just forget anyone mentioned this stupid idea.
What idea?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:49 am

psj3809 wrote:Plus if there was an 80's gamer or a 90's gamer you would then get the type of fickle reader who would only buy it if there was an article which interested them
Quite. In fact, kiwimike is spot on. If Imagine's management decided to go crazy and split the mag, you'd still end up with people moaning about "8-bit Retro Gamer", saying they want, say, "Commodore Retro Gamer", and then there'd be people in that magazine moaning that there's not C16 Retro Gamer, and even then there'd be people moaning that the right games and content aren't being covered. Mind you, by that point, the mags almost would be being produced for one person. (Waits for barrage of abuse from loads of C16 fans... *tumbleweed*)
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com