Issue 73 feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

PanzerGeneral

Re: Issue 73 feedback

Post by PanzerGeneral » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:44 pm

I think this months mag is the best issue in some time, the Colecovision retrospective was particularly welcome - already looking forward to next month's SAM coupe feature. I do however have a resevation about Mr Braben making another appearance. I love Elite as much as the next man but -(please oh please, no more Elite or Frontier- unless it's to do with Elite 4, in which case give the man a 10 page spread!).

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:37 pm

I'd agree, it's a good one. And I'm not just saying that because there are Speccy graphics on the cover...
There's a fair whack of coverage of 8-bit machines, balancing out nicely so the 16-bit console stuff doesn't dominate like it seems to have done a few times lately.
The venture into dedicated devices (Simon) is nicely balanced by the return of 'Retro Shamer' - even RG has its own past classics to bring back.
And the ColecoVision was a good piece, though where were its tech specs?
Happy to see the iPhone coverage reined in a bit, too.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:57 pm

Neo geo is a great machine!

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:02 pm

I'm up to import only enjoying the issue as always, nice to see an import only that isn't Japanese, it shows that you look everywhere.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:42 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:we aim to get a balanced issue every month, but it's not always possible. At one stage we were considering splitting the mag into different time periods but that wouldn't have worked either.

It's not always easy getting the balance right, but in general I think we do pretty well each month. I've been doing this for a while now and have a pretty good idea (most times) what people want. Having said that, RG is one of the most difficult mags I've ever been involved with, simply because every single reader appears to want the magazine filled with whatever most appeals to them.
I appreciate its hard Darren. I was thinking myself that you could have two mags - "80's gamer" and "90's gamer", which would sort out a lot of the issues people have. This however might not financially viable, it would also mean twice as much work. And there's the fact that there would be overpill too between both periods, what with the Mega Drive and PC Engine being released in one decade, and seeing their popularity rise in the next one, for example....

I think "theming" the issues around one period or the next is the best way forward. Its what you are doing now to a degree, and in the future you could make it even more apparent.
Nintendo DS games: 41

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:24 am

Yeah i would love two mags but like you say thats surely not financially viable right now.

Some months might have a lot of features i really love, might be the odd month where its a 'quiet' one for me. But either way i subscribe as it helps the mag continue, if we all picked and chose when we bought the mag it wont do any favours for the sales.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:02 am

from some of the feedback you'd think the last issue of RG was somehow really odd or unrepresentitive of RG in general. The idea of splitting the mag seems bordering on crazy. I'd say the last few issues have be very very strong and entertaining. I renewed my sub based on those great issues. I only have time to read one magazine a month these days, and I'm glad to have RG.

At point one many issues ago I only used to read the articles on systems Iiked - but I've been a lot more open minded in the last year and actually found the learning about new systems enjoyable - even ones that I used to loathe like PS1. Cant really see what more Darran and co can do in respect of pleasing all the people all the time. (except more Vic 20 obviously :wink: )

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:38 am

I'm pretty sure Darran meant splitting the one mag into defined sections, not into two separate mags! :shock: Personally I prefer it the way it is; it would lose something of its charm if, for instance, the first half of each mag was dedicated to 80s stuff and the latter to 90s onwards, that seems far too rigidly ordered and would also succeed in definitively pissing off a percentage of the readership each and every month. Chaotic and unpredictable mixing bowls are best :D
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:19 am

Yeah i like the mix of articles. Would like a page every issue taking a look back at a 'Crash Smash' or Zzap Sizzler (Or whatever the amstrad one was !) to see if a games aged badly or not. Crash used to do this at one stage looking back at a game 5 years or so later.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:33 am

Just got this one yesterday evening - haven't had a "proper" read-through yet, but there's enough to form a Paul Davies-esque review.

Fell in love with the Colecovision at RetroVision over the weekend, so is that an omen or something that there's a big feature about it? Probably. There's none on eBay at the moment, besides one in Canada. Patience is required.

The Unconverted thing looks like a fun read, been waiting for one of these for ages!
Just been getting into Burger Time recently as well, so there's another nice coincidence.

BUT, can't really see the relevance of Darren's introduction this month? Talking about the new add-ons for consoles? Maybe if he referred back to the 32X or something, but the "time will tell" aspect of it all seems a bit Edge-like to me.

Still, mustn't grumble, there really is no other magazine like this in the shops, so it's always a pleasure to read, regardless of content :D
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:03 am

joefish wrote:Happy to see the iPhone coverage reined in a bit, too.
Pretty ironic statement, given that this issue has more iPhone/iPod touch reviews in it than any issue I can remember of the mag, including those with a specific mobile gaming DPS.
The Master wrote:I'm pretty sure Darran meant splitting the one mag into defined sections, not into two separate mags!
Yup—that was on the cards a while back, just as an idea rather than a definite direction for the mag. I recall hearing this with horror when Darran told me on the phone. Sections work fairly well for bookazines, but I suspect giving the mag distinct 1980s, 1990s and 2000s sections would be hugely problematic to sales, because potential readers would be even more likely to look at 'their' section and dismiss the magazine based on their tastes.

I utterly agree with you that "Chaotic and unpredictable mixing bowls are best"—at least as far as this magazine goes. I also like the discovery element—the Durrell piece, for example, was a great read, but I don't recall being a huge fan of the games, bar Saboteur on the Speccy. (I also had the misfortune to buy Turbo Esprit on C64 after much badgering from a Speccy-owning mate, and I still think I should ask Durrell for a refund!)
psj3809 wrote:Yeah i like the mix of articles. Would like a page every issue taking a look back at a 'Crash Smash' or Zzap Sizzler (Or whatever the amstrad one was !) to see if a games aged badly or not. Crash used to do this at one stage looking back at a game 5 years or so later.
Zzap! did the same in its Zzap!back section, which I used to love. There are nods to this in the classic game articles (what the press said and what we now think, or whatever those boxes are labelled), although it's clearly not as big a section as what you're suggesting!
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:06 am

I haven't got this month's yet, but judging by the dozens of issues I've already bought/own I'm sure it'll be a great read. I can't believe people censored some articles off - does it really make people THAT angry? To be honest, 50% of the content in each magazine covers things I've never heard of anyway, but because I have an interest in RETRO I'll more than likely find it interesting and entertaining. And if I don't? Well, I'll just turn the page, it’s not that difficult.

Keep up the good work all.

(Oh, HOWEVER, an emulation feature would be good. But I'm aware of dubious legalities and what not)
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:21 am

Would also like (Apart from arcade/MAME game reviews - or games you should play) a return to the traditional top 25 type of lists ! Always cause controversy but you know you love em ! ;)

In Retro Gamer Mk I there were a fair few lists of games on various systems. Everyone loves a controversial list ! ;)

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:29 am

greenberet79 wrote:I can't believe people censored some articles off - does it really make people THAT angry?
I think its a good thing - it means people are really passionate and care about the mag
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:49 am

psj3809 wrote:Yeah i like the mix of articles. Would like a page every issue taking a look back at a 'Crash Smash' or Zzap Sizzler (Or whatever the amstrad one was !) to see if a games aged badly or not. Crash used to do this at one stage looking back at a game 5 years or so later.
this might be fun.

It would also be nice to get the occasional round up of say top 10 retro compilations on PSP or top 10 retro-style games for DS.