Issue 73 feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kiwimike

Re: Issue 73 feedback

Post by kiwimike » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:18 am

Busy with the Simon debate, I forgot to mention how much I enjoy this issue. Having the long awaited Colecovision feature was a terrific start! :)

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:04 am

Picked up my issue today.Another person here that liked the arcade feature.feature. Im open to correction.But wasn't Cadillac and dinosaurs ported to the mega cd.Or was it a totally different game?.Martyn brown interview was good as well,and thank you for publishing question about body blows.
Last edited by Fred83 on Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:06 am

Different game I believe, the arcade version has never been ported. Probably never will, unless Capcom renew the licence.

ady_lister

Post by ady_lister » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:53 pm

Unconverted Feature was great.

Surprised Red Earth didn't get a mention.

...and Mighty Pang

kestrel1977

Post by kestrel1977 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:04 pm

Thanks for all the positive feedback on the Unconverted article, guys!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:24 pm

kestrel1977 wrote:Thanks for all the positive feedback on the Unconverted article, guys!
did you write it then?
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

kestrel1977

Post by kestrel1977 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:45 pm

I did! My first article for the mighty RG - always nerve-wracking writing for a new mag, especially if it's one you've been reading for years - and I'm really chuffed with the responses. Great issue in general too - great Colecovision article, and personally I was really interested to read about Simon. :)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:45 pm

ady_lister wrote: Surprised Red Earth didn't get a mention.
Another supporter for the cause :)

A fighting game with a fire-breathing T-rex as a character HAS to be good but it seems hardly nobody has heard/cares about it. C'mon Capcom, bring it back before all of the CPS3 hardware dies and the game is lost forever :cry:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

AndyWilson

Post by AndyWilson » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:32 pm

Just joined here to publically thank Andrew Fisher for the Dan Dare article!

Wasn't sure what to think when he emailed me with a list of questions - this whole Retro Gaming scene is new to me, the first thing i knew about the whole scene was when I was contacted by the guys at Games That Weren't a while back - but he's done a great job at turning my rushed email reply into a coherent article. I can only presume Simon Birrell etc gave more considered responses :)

My only complaint is that I hate that - erm - flipping - photo of Ian, Jeremy, Patricia, Dave, Me, Steve, Angela and Nick! (just proving I haven't got alzheimers yet)

Anyway, thanks again Andrew for a great article, and really pleased to see people on here like it :)

Oh - and the Simon article is dope! (attempting to sound down with tha kids)

merman

Post by merman » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:27 pm

Thanks Andy, I'm blushing here... :oops:
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:12 pm

Well I went into the newsagent there the other day, picked up the latest retro gamer issue, had a flick through it, and left it back down again.

Why? Spectrum this, C64 that, 8-bit central basically :? And not the good 8-bit stuff either.....

Well I know you guys can't please everyone all of the time, and I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who loved the issues and fair play to them, but for me it was lacking information on the systems I love best: Saturn, Neo Geo, PC Engine, SNES, PlayStation 1, Mega Drive, NES....

Article on Return Fire was about as interesting as it got for me, but even then I dunno....

I'm sure that people will disagree with me, but I'm just going to have my vote here and ask for more 16 and 32 bit features ta :wink:
Nintendo DS games: 41

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:20 pm

not sure if your aware,there was an retro inspection done on them systems in the back issues,and of course the awesome neo geo

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:53 pm

Mr Vengeance wrote:Well I went into the newsagent there the other day, picked up the latest retro gamer issue, had a flick through it, and left it back down again.

Why? Spectrum this, C64 that, 8-bit central basically :? And not the good 8-bit stuff either.....

Well I know you guys can't please everyone all of the time, and I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who loved the issues and fair play to them, but for me it was lacking information on the systems I love best: Saturn, Neo Geo, PC Engine, SNES, PlayStation 1, Mega Drive, NES....
Those are "my" systems too, consoles from the NES/Master System onwards were all I played. I've only ever seen a Spectrum in a museum. I still read each issue cover to cover, though, even the articles I don't relate to. It can be enlightening, reading about how these other weirdoes spent their youths, and this bizarre non-Japanese "UK" programming scene they're probably just making up to confuse us.... Not saying you should too, the issues that do have content you're interested in will have plenty of articles you're not so it's not like you don't know what you're missing. I find it all fascinating, and I'd go mad if I missed a month.

On another topic, that "Touch Me" machine that Simon was inspired by.... how the heck does something that hideous ever make it to production? Who in the nine hells thought something like that would appeal to anyone? Why in the dank and flaming pits of Satan's terrible domain didn't someone - anyone - even one person - suggest that they brighten this thing up before attempting to flog it? Epic.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:35 pm

I have just briefly flipped through mine so far, but since we are discussing let me throw in a torch of my own:

Writeups on 8-bit stuff will almost always be more interesting than 16-bit era onward.
Why? Because it was much more of a one-(wo)man show then and as such you get a fuller more coherent story by talking to fewer people. One man, one vision basically. Less compromises, less design by commitee(sp?).
The strongest and most outspoken personalities usually makes for the most interesting readings. That is why EDGE writes up on GTA4 by interviewing their leader (Sam Houser or something?) that is very outspoken, though I don't think he did very much code, graphics, or sounds for it.

Oh, and I think that model of thought also explains why there are few good writeups on Japanese production - they seem much more group oriented in their thinking?

Flame on.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:01 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:So has anyone found the hidden Miner Willy this month? He was hidden last month as well.
Yep, found him in this issue. Those who don't want to know, look away now.

He's on p.87, in the Worms screenshot.

Which leads to the question 'why'?

Back on topic, I thought it was a good issue overall. I liked the Unconverted article in particular.

I do wish you'd give a bit more space to the Collectors Corner, though. Look how popular the 'Photos of your collection' thread is. Most of us are incredibly nosy and want to see what other people have. I used to enjoy reading the interviews when you first inherited the article from GamesTM. Now it's just some photos with a couple of brief captions. :(