Issue 73 feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

necronom

Re: Issue 73 feedback

Post by necronom » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:59 am

Duddyroar wrote:Rare and Ultimate are the same company though.

It's kinda like bitching about people calling a Snickers "Marathon". Or vice versa.
Vice Versa. They will always be Marathons.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:29 am

It's kinda like bitching about people calling a Snickers "Marathon". Or vice versa.
Not really. Sabreman games have never been sold under the Rare label.

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:43 am

SirClive wrote:

Not really. Sabreman games have never been sold under the Rare label.

Any gamer worth his or her salt should know that Ultimate and Rare are intrinsically linked, so this is a totally pointless argument.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:16 am

TBH in most cases discussing companies that have existed since the 80's and their output today is moot anyway, since with the vast majority of them the only thing that remains to link them to past titles is the company name.
Most of the staff, producers and programmers responsible for making the titles we love have all long since gone on to other companies or other things.
Its no different to a completely different company buying up the rights to the name, that's usually all that's left of the original firms and teams that actually made the games.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:17 am

lol

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:34 am

The Stampers only left Rare a few years ago though. Sure most of the developers were totally different from the old Ultimate games but it was nice to see the Stampers (until recently) still be there.

Sabre Wulf on the GBA is pretty good, has some nice nods to the past, sure theres an Underwurlde picture in one of the rooms hanging up. Decent game. Also nice to see Jetpac Refuelled released as well.

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:48 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote: it's got to be better than 4 pages of Beach Head - Lets All Play............
I snorted tea when I read that :D
Lets all play is coming back tho right?

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:02 am

Lol well at least you've all stopped arguing about Simon. Which was a cracking read btw, as was the Dan Dare article.

Wil

Post by Wil » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:44 am

necronom wrote: I'd never heard of Rare until I saw them mentioned in RG. I still probably couldn't name a game from them, but I know Ultimate very well, as they were massive.
Has the Delorean just dropped you off from 1985?

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:15 am

Wil wrote:
necronom wrote: I'd never heard of Rare until I saw them mentioned in RG. I still probably couldn't name a game from them, but I know Ultimate very well, as they were massive.
:D

I've just checked the Wiki page, and it looks like they are all Nintendo and Microsoft. That's why I don't know them. I didn't recognise the logo either.
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:26 am

Wil wrote:
Ha ha very good ! Was thinking the same thing. What next...

"A Gameboy ? What the hell is that ?.... ;)

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:39 am

necronom wrote:
Wil wrote:
:D

I've just checked the Wiki page, and it looks like they are all Nintendo and Microsoft. That's why I don't know them. I didn't recognise the logo either.
Surely you jest?

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:00 am

Duddyroar wrote:
necronom wrote: :D

Surely you jest?
No. Which bit did you mean: Checking Wiki for them, them only making Nintendo/MS games, or not knowing the logo?

If they did only do games for those two, then I would think loads of people wouldn't know them. Anyone who's only had Sinclair, Atari, Commodore, Acorn, Amstrad, or Sony machines (i.e. most of everything sold), won't have come across them. It's only two companies out of many they have been involved with (one being the most evil company in the world, and the other targeted at children, so many people will have avoided these two).

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:10 am

Rare is one of the UK's most prolific software houses and several of its games have sold well into the millions. Regardless of which platform you owned in the past, I would have though anyone with even the most passing interest in video gaming would be aware of titles such as Donkey Kong Country, GoldenEye 64, Banjo Kazooie, Perfect Dark, etc...

If you've legitimately never heard of them then fair enough, but they've made the cover of RG several times now.

Wil

Post by Wil » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:12 am

necronom wrote: It's only two companies out of many they have been involved with (one being the most evil company in the world, and the other targeted at children, so hardly anyone will have avoided these two).
Sorry, had to correct this :)

I won't even begin to enter into an 'evil company/targeted at children' debate :lol: