New Vs Old - Tatunoko Vs Marvel

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Tatsunoko Vs Capcom Vs Marvel Vs Capcom

Tatsunoko Vs Capcom
56%
Marvel Vs Capcom
44%

Total votes: 18

Darran@Retro Gamer

New Vs Old - Tatunoko Vs Marvel

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:50 am

Here's a controversial one

harlequ1n

Re: New Vs Old - Tatunoko Vs Marvel

Post by harlequ1n » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:59 am

Guess I'll have to wait till my copy arrives. And you wrote Tatunoko not Tatsunoko :)

Dan Hero

Post by Dan Hero » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:40 am

in Italy Tatsunoko characters are VERY, VERY popular, they were all the rage during the 80s.

I like the new entry in the VS serie, Marvel vs capcom 2 had tons of characters but it was the derivation of other 3 VS (xmen vs capcom, marvel super heroes vs capcom and marvel vs capcom). Just give the tatsunoko cast the time to grow in mumber, there are some awesome entries like Yattodetaman (Calendar Man) that would be great to have in the cast.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:53 am

I guess this basically boils down to Tatsunoko vs Marvel and I'll go with the former any day.

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:48 pm

I have to say I was never a big fan of the Capcom "vs" series. I did enjoy the cross overs with SNK, but they didn't have crazy high jumps which was the big thing that put me off. I always thought being able to jump that high allowed people to be too evasive. That being said, I bought Tatsunoko vs Capcom when it first came out in Japan & loved it, super jumps & all. I can't wait to get the English language version to try out the different characters.

Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0

Post by Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:33 am

Dizrythmia wrote:I have to say I was never a big fan of the Capcom "vs" series. I did enjoy the cross overs with SNK, but they didn't have crazy high jumps which was the big thing that put me off.
I agree with this a lot.

The Marvel games may feature Spider-Man and co but who cares when they're designed for people who aren't talented enough to play real SF games. Obviously the SNK series was aimed at fighting game fans.

This new title looks a little over the top for me but I'll vote for the idea rather than however good the actual game is.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:39 pm

Where are all the Capcom schoolgirls? They went with Alex over Ibuki? MvC all the way!
It's called a MEGADRIVE

lexiomiguel

Post by lexiomiguel » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:06 pm

While TvC's gameplay is topnotch and more balanced than MvC,MvC just wins out because of the great diversity of characters.Six guys in spandex with helmets,two robots with annoying staffs......two(three) that use yo-yos?...Let me trade virtual punches with Spidey and Cyclops anyday!Oh and I hate TvC's two big characters!

Protoman

Post by Protoman » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:16 pm

I ain't touching this one, MvC2 players will eat me alive on any negative comments.
Come watch Protoman on Proto Retro TV - http://www.youtube.com/Protoretro/

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:51 am

As much as I like Tatsunoko Vs Capcom, I gotta go with Marvel Vs Capcom mainly down to the fact I like Marvel characters more than Tatsunoko characters. Both are top notch games though.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:18 pm

Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 wrote:The Marvel games may feature Spider-Man and co but who cares when they're designed for people who aren't talented enough to play real SF games. Obviously the SNK series was aimed at fighting game fans.
I think you'll find that there is a certain amount of skill needed to play the older Vs games too y'know. Aerial raves aren't exactly easy to consistently pull off in the heat of a battle as is remembering the right input combinations for said attacks.

Personally, I like both poll choices though Tatsunoko Vs Capcom hasn't yet grown on me in the way that the older Vs games did. The characters on the Tatsunoko side are alien to me and I don't really like the design of most of them as opposed to Western superhero designs but this isn't what really puts me off. I can't put my finger on it exactly but I just like the older Vs games with Marvel Vs Capcom 2 being the zenith in my opinion. Massive roster, some awesome funky music and classic sprites which I prefer to the latest games visuals as much as I love 'em.

So yeah, Marvel Vs Capcom 2 for me.
Last edited by Megamixer on Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:34 pm

Yeah, I suppose that most of the Tatsunoko characters are pretty obscure in the UK; I'd be surprised if anyone who's not a hardcore nutter anime fanboy would have come across anything other than Karas and Gatchaman.

Still, if you are a bit of an anime fan, it's a very attractive prospect. I never thought I'd see a beat 'em up where you could play Polymar or Casshan, for instance, never mind such a good one.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:22 pm

whats a tatsunoko?

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:52 pm

Ah, this is a tough one.

My first instinct was to immediately vote for Marvel vs Capcom because of being that bit more used to the characters, but I do feel personally that Tatsunoko vs Capcom has the better, more balanced gameplay. But then again, I like the old style 2D sprites of Marvel vs Capcom better.......

No, it's definitely got to go to gameplay, so Tatsunoko vs Capcom gets my final vote. And for somebody who grew up watching Battle Of The Planets (a.k.a. Science Ninja Gatchaman), it's great to finally be in control of Ken the Eagle and co. in a decent game rather than the crappy Battle Of The Planets one that Mikrogen released on the Speccy back in the 1980's :lol:
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:20 am

I have to admit though, the awesome Tekkaman is growing on me. Really like using him.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.