From the Forum question for issue 74

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

lavalyte

Re: From the Forum question for issue 74

Post by lavalyte » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:11 am

Jonathan wrote:When you're playing a game, you don't want to have to worry about the joystick when the game is what matters. It's just a tool, something you pick up and use without a second thought.

My own preference has always been for the Zipstick.
Yes, but tools can be low or high quality. A bad joystick reduces your enjoyment of a game by being too slow to respond, or inaccurate, or prone to breakdown, or being uncomfortable after a period of use. A good joystick is invisible... you play your game and your commands to your on-screen character seem to be translated directly to the machine.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:31 pm

Oh, I agree. As I said, you don't want to have to worry about the joystick. If you notice it, there's a problem. A joystick is something you should be able to pick up and use without a second thought.
No longer part of the Spectrum scene but still supporting Multi-Platform Arcade Game Designer over at https://jonathan-cauldwell.itch.io/
I am not on Twitter.

Mr_Staypuft

Post by Mr_Staypuft » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:09 am

Doddsy wrote:My favourite one which I still have and works to this day is The Arcade Turbo Joystick for my C64 and Amiga. It's regarded as one of the best joysticks ever made as its a home joystick of the sticks found in arcade machines during the 80's.
Nice looking unit.

And I had it's big daddy.. the STAR CURSOR.

As per the "Arcade Turbo", it uses actual coin-op hardware
- I've seen that distinctive joystick shaft still in use in 'crane grabber' machines in the last few years!

The big difference, is that huge flat base (with powerful suction caps that GRIP a table) and two 'proper' arcade fire buttons. This gave it a real 'coinop' feel in that you didn't have to hold the thing - and you could use your 'joystick hand' and 'firebutton hand' separately, as you do standing in front of an arcade machine.

It was a great unit - really nice to use. Strangely, it wasn't too expensive, and best of all, came with a 3 year replacement warranty. Any probs - and you got a new one, no questions asked. Awesome.

Someone needs to start selling these things again with a USB plug!

Groo_the_Wanderer

Post by Groo_the_Wanderer » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:33 am

I had many 'sticks during my Atari ST days, but the clear winner was the Powerplay Cruiser. They did a special edition in all black which solved the problem of its otherwise girly colours. It also had a slightly flattened "bobble" on the end of the stick, rather than the usual rounded one, which was more comfortable. The only downside was the buttons, which whilst being nice and responsive with good "feel", were slightly recessed in the body of the joystick. This led to me receiving blisters on the joint of my thumb from over-zealous button bashing which to this day I still refer to as "Speedball Thumb".
Oh dear, there's little pamphlets living in it.

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:27 pm

Last edited by SpiffierRabbit on Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:28 pm

Best Stick ever.

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Best Stick ever.

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:31 pm

Best Stick ever.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:46 pm

I think he's trying to tell us something. Could it be that the Dreamcast Arcade stick is the 'best stick ever'? :wink:
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Groo_the_Wanderer

Post by Groo_the_Wanderer » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:33 am

I certainly like the look of the Dreamcast Arcade Stick, particularly the one in the second picture. That certainly looks nicer than the other three... :wink:

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:29 am

POWERPLAY CRUISER-As you could alter the sensitivity to suit your needs.Also, nice chunky beast of a stick.Had to be the clear version with autofire though for me.

Groo_the_Wanderer

Post by Groo_the_Wanderer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:32 am

I was always a bit reluctant to use autofire... it felt too like cheating. I'd still enter codes for infinite lives, invincibility, better weapons though... what a hypocrite!

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:22 pm

After dismembering an Atari 2600 stick in a recovery attempt over various Decathlon sessions; after developing a callus under my right thumb on Colecovision controllers; after snapping a couple of Quickshot joysticks while trying to make C64's Intarnational Soccer players run faster; and finally after digging an hole in place of the Zipstick absolutely unresponsive, clacky and square (SQUARE!!!) buttons in shoot'em up mayhem; after all that, the revelation:
(ray of holy light and chorus: OOOOOOOOH)
Competition Pro 5000

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:35 pm

Quickshots broke if you sneezed too hard near them
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:38 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Quickshots broke if you sneezed too hard near them
I know the Cheetah 128+'s are like that. Great when they worked, awful when they broke (hich was very often)
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!