Issue 72 feedback thread....

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

the_hawk

Re: Issue 72 feedback thread....

Post by the_hawk » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:55 am

A rose by any other name & all that. I'm just delighted it's in there whatever it's called & this is from someone that still insists on using the terms Marathons, Opal Fruits, Oil of Ulay & Jif cleaning products!
psj3809 wrote:Trying to think of any other Snickers/Marathon examples when it comes to games
Other example on the Wii the US game Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader was changed to Are You Smarter Than a 10 year old in the UK. :wink:

PS Lovely bit of Frenzy trivia from Wiki...."Frenzy has 64,000 levels. If you manage to make it past all of them, the game crashes."
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:38 am

i'm so dumb I actually thought Nemesis and Gradius were different franchises... :oops:

Looks like a good issue - and with just a foot of snow at my door - sure the poor postman will bring it along in about 10 days.

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:51 am

While you can't deny that the version in question was called Nemesis the actual franchise is more famous under the name Gradius, so it simply would not make sense to put Nemesis on the cover.

All recent versions of the series have been released in Europe as Gradius so I can't see the problem. To brand this a "mistake" just illustrates how blinkered some individuals are...try and see the wider picture here.

Gradius has ALWAYS been Gradius. Just because it was re-named Nemesis for a couple of versions in one region of the world doesn't instantly make it Nemesis. The end.

Fantastic cover, BTW.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:13 am

Yep agree. I know its a mag based in the UK but not surprised they used Gradius on the front cover, just makes sense really. We all know what game it is ! I mean come on, no snow on the Xmas cover was huge ;), but this is nothing.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:38 am

You can go too far though & if the mag starts using words like color, favor & the staff start pronouncing aluminium "A-LOO-MIN-NUMB" I'm cancelling my subscription!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:42 am

I don't mind the use of Gradius if it is talking about the franchise in general, but with a strapline about the Spectrum game it seemed wrong.

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:08 am

the_hawk wrote:You can go too far though & if the mag starts using words like color, favor & the staff start pronouncing aluminium "A-LOO-MIN-NUMB" I'm cancelling my subscription!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Those spellings are more akin to calling the game Nemesis (it's local variation) rather than it's actual title Gradius...

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:11 am

The franchise is known as Gradius in the UK now anyway - Gradius V, Gradius Collection etc - not to mention it is a port of a game called Gradius (I guess if it is a conversion of port known as Nemesis there is some argument there, but that is being pedantic). Plus tbh if you don't know Nemesis is Gradius then you can't like the games that much!

R. Prime

Post by R. Prime » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:20 am

How about Grademis? Sorted. Enough.

Really enjoyed Iain Lee's column. Fresh concept and very funny.

Amazing I managed to get a comment on the 2nd page of feedback instead of the 68th. I feel included now! :mrgreen:

Happy new year all.

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:23 am

I don't mind the name "Gradius" being used too much (it's original name), but I really had a problem with them putting "Genesis" on the front cover of issue 27. The console is called a Mega Drive everywhere (including its home), except one country, but they still put the wrong name on the cover. That annoyed me quite a lot, and I've never even had a Mega Drive or wanted one.

If they put Gradius on the cover because most of the world knows it as that, then why did Genesis get put on issue 27?

Back on topic, I'm looking forward to the Driver feature, even though it's not retro :D
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:28 am

necronom wrote:I don't mind the name "Gradius" being used too much (it's original name), but I really had a problem with them putting "Genesis" on the front cover of issue 27. The console is called a Mega Drive everywhere (including its home), except one country, but they still put the wrong name on the cover. That annoyed me quite a lot, and I've never even had a Mega Drive or wanted one.

If they put Gradius on the cover because most of the world knows it as that, then why did Genesis get put on issue 27?

Back on topic, I'm looking forward to the Driver feature, even though it's not retro :D
Criticism fail!

The name Genesis was used on the cover of issue 27 as a play on words...it actually said "The Genesis of 16-bit" but the machine was referred to on the cover - and throughout the issue - as the Mega Drive.

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:29 am

oli_lar wrote:The franchise is known as Gradius in the UK now anyway - Gradius V, Gradius Collection etc
i believe it's been known under both names in the UK since the 1980's, i'm relatively sure the Playchoice 10 cabinet i used to play during some of the more misspent parts of my youth called it Gradius.

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:57 am

The name used on the cover was deemed to be more recognizable and therefore would lead to more magazine sales. The cover (any magazine cover, that is) is designed to get someone to pick up the magazine. If the cover doesn't catch their eye, they won't pick it up, let alone buy it. A familiar name on the cover will get someone who is browsing the magazine rack to pick it up and take a look. They may pass by the issue if they don't recognize the title. At the end of the day, Imagine is a business and their intent is to sell magazines.

Besides, I can't believe people are whining over the name on the cover when the content is exactly the same as it would have been had the name on the cover been different. Stop whining and start reading.
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:27 pm

Now with it snowing heavily in my area I doubt I will get this issue before next week!
Living on an island is not always golden

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:50 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:Shame - It's a UK mag writen by UK writers which is released in the UK first..
Thing is, the brand is now known—even in the UK—as Gradius. I'm firmly with Darran on this one, despite personally hating companies eroding brand recognition by removing localised product (the most recent major one around here being Abbey getting snuffed for Santander.
psj3809 wrote:Never knew that ! (I did have just a flick through earlier), really want to read that article now, love hearing about sequels to classic games which may or may not have been as good.
I really really like Frenzy. It's a fantastic game and far better than the original (in my opinion), despite the rather sad lack of (much of) the original machine's speech.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com