Issue 72 feedback thread....

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
harlequ1n
Posts: 1750
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:53 am
Location: Barcelona
Contact:

Re: Issue 72 feedback thread....

Post by harlequ1n » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:23 pm

Gnome wrote:Seems like a great issue and I wish I could comment, but (disturbingly) my issue hasn't arrived yet... First time in two+ years of being a subscriber...
You're not alone there mate, and incidentally I'll be entering my 2nd year as a subscriber soon. Maybe it was the adverse weather thingie who took our precious magazines!
Image

User avatar
Gnome
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:03 pm
Location: Athens
Contact:

Re: Issue 72 feedback thread....

Post by Gnome » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:45 am

This is oddly relaxing... thanks for the info. Oh, and a lovely blog you got there too.
Usually blogging over at Gnome's Lair, steadily into Retro Treasures and some cabaret.

User avatar
Limbrooke
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:37 pm
Location: The Moon
Contact:

Post by Limbrooke » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:36 pm

It struck me as odd that this guy, Joe Martin, was claimed the world record holder in Nemesis(Gradius arcade). I doubt he is number 1 when comparing the Japanese scores, even MARP has better scores.
http://replay.marpirc.net/r/nemesis (Gradius - http://replay.marpirc.net/r/Gradius)

Twin Galaxies is in my view, not the be all end all high score database, same for world record holders, and while I don't discredit Mr. Martin's efforts, there are other people who even now have had a higher score than he. The problem is many if not most of these people, regarding shooting games specifically, don't pipe through TG.

Example 1: saucykobold - http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 71#p509171

So yeah, I was disappointed that there weren't other candidates selected but it was an alright article.

Another comment would be regarding the Tower of Doom/Shadows over Mystara D&D article. It states initially it was released for the following Platform(s): ARCADE, SATURN, PC CD-ROM
Where exactly was the information on the PC version found as I have seen no evidence such a title was ever released. I'd like to know more unless this is an error.

I will add that the mention of the Atari 2600 homebrew made Juno First was nice. That truly looks like an outstanding game, so thanks for the heads-up. Now if only it gets it's own cartridge...
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'

User avatar
Duddyroar
Posts: 551
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:11 am
Location: The Land of Wind and Ghosts

Re:

Post by Duddyroar » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:03 pm

Limbrooke wrote:Another comment would be regarding the Tower of Doom/Shadows over Mystara D&D article. It states initially it was released for the following Platform(s): ARCADE, SATURN, PC CD-ROM
Where exactly was the information on the PC version found as I have seen no evidence such a title was ever released. I'd like to know more unless this is an error.
It's not an error. Shadows Over Mystara saw a limited release in Asian territories thanks to a company called MCB Interactive. Play-Asia has an entry for the game, but it's long since gone out of circulation.

I did include a scan of the cover of the PC version when I supplied images for the feature, but I'm guessing there wasn't enough room to include it.
Image

User avatar
Mayhem
Posts: 4741
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:05 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re:

Post by Mayhem » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:05 pm

Limbrooke wrote:I will add that the mention of the Atari 2600 homebrew made Juno First was nice. That truly looks like an outstanding game, so thanks for the heads-up. Now if only it gets it's own cartridge...
It has, I own it. It's just the AtariAge store is sort of offline currently... but a PM to Albert should sort you out on that front.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Image

Klyde Barrow
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Issue 72 feedback thread....

Post by Klyde Barrow » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:03 am

To whom it may concern, I have just purchased a copy of your magazine and would like to know do you have no shame? Are you unaware of the mental anguish you could be causing the older reader? Just before I seek medical advice and counselling I must bring your attention in particular to the trauma caused by the phrase "Does anyone remember Madness And The Minotaur?". Thank you Iain Lee, years of therapy down the drain. No one should ever have to go through the torture of a game with only one redeeming feature, if you pressed the down arrow whilst playing on a Dragon 32 it crashed. The hours of wading around inside it's code to find a clue as to what the hell to do led to harder and longer programming sessions and a life as a geek with no friends..... well except Rob who collected fonts and Roy who owned a QL.
As if that wasn't enough I went to place my mug on the table and missed due to bad collision detection aggravated by attribute clash. The hot beverage went all over my comfy slippers and Werthers originals and I feel a bad ram-pack wobble coming on.

Seriously though, great magazine, must say you guys don't look old enough to have been there during the great 8 bit depression. Pity I never found your magazine before, small shop in our town, it was between 2 X-box mags.
Keep up the good work, might have to write something retro to recover.

Next month David Crane... that man has a lot to answer for...

Bub&Bob
Posts: 6833
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:24 am

Re: Issue 72 feedback thread....

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:27 am

Klyde Barrow wrote:To whom it may concern, I have just purchased a copy of your magazine and would like to know do you have no shame? Are you unaware of the mental anguish you could be causing the older reader? Just before I seek medical advice and counselling...
Cracking first post mate :lol: :lol:
Not wishing to take you over the edge but why don't you subscribe, then you can have pain before it hits the shops!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

User avatar
CraigGrannell
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:15 am
Contact:

Re: Issue 72 feedback thread....

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:53 am

Klyde Barrow wrote:must say you guys don't look old enough to have been there during the great 8 bit depression
Markie (the guy who does the contributor illustrations) makes us all look young.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

User avatar
harlequ1n
Posts: 1750
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:53 am
Location: Barcelona
Contact:

Re: Issue 72 feedback thread....

Post by harlequ1n » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:48 am

I finally got my copy today. Amazing cover and contents. If it wasn't for the article and 99% of the complaints in this thread I would had never known that some ports of Gradius were called Nemesis in the UK. As I wasn't a reader when the Contra cover came out, I imagine it would have been really ackward to see it called Gryzor/Probotector... Why did European publishers need to change the names before and thankfully not anymore?

I also believe that Fallout should have made it to the cover. And the making of D&D Collection was ace! I love those games.
Image

User avatar
jdanddiet
Posts: 9021
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:03 am
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Issue 72 feedback thread....

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:11 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
Klyde Barrow wrote:must say you guys don't look old enough to have been there during the great 8 bit depression
Markie (the guy who does the contributor illustrations) makes us all look young.
oh, so that's who markie is :D
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6479
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re: Issue 72 feedback thread....

Post by merman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:10 pm

harlequ1n wrote:Why did European publishers need to change the names before and thankfully not anymore?
Sometimes a name change was forced on the publishers, because an existing game had the same or similar name. (Starfox became Starwing in the UK because of an older C64 game called Starfox, for example). But it also worked the other way - a lot of European games had a name change in the USA.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6761
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Issue 72 feedback thread....

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:24 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
Klyde Barrow wrote:must say you guys don't look old enough to have been there during the great 8 bit depression
Markie (the guy who does the contributor illustrations) makes us all look young.
Indeed, I'm 75
Image

User avatar
jdanddiet
Posts: 9021
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:03 am
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Issue 72 feedback thread....

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:34 pm

merman wrote:
harlequ1n wrote:Why did European publishers need to change the names before and thankfully not anymore?
Sometimes a name change was forced on the publishers, because an existing game had the same or similar name. (Starfox became Starwing in the UK because of an older C64 game called Starfox, for example). But it also worked the other way - a lot of European games had a name change in the USA.
Did they ever do it like they do with movies sometimes, to disguise how rubbish they are?
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6479
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re: Issue 72 feedback thread....

Post by merman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:01 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
merman wrote:
harlequ1n wrote:Why did European publishers need to change the names before and thankfully not anymore?
Sometimes a name change was forced on the publishers, because an existing game had the same or similar name. (Starfox became Starwing in the UK because of an older C64 game called Starfox, for example). But it also worked the other way - a lot of European games had a name change in the USA.
Did they ever do it like they do with movies sometimes, to disguise how rubbish they are?
Oh absolutely. "The Astonishing Adventures of Mr Weems & the She Vampires" must have fallen foul of the trades description act, so the re-release was simply She Vampires....
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

User avatar
TMR
Posts: 5756
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:56 am
Location: Leeds, U.K.
Contact:

Re: Issue 72 feedback thread....

Post by TMR » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:23 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote:
Klyde Barrow wrote:must say you guys don't look old enough to have been there during the great 8 bit depression
Markie (the guy who does the contributor illustrations) makes us all look young.
Indeed, I'm 75
Hang on a minute... i look older in the mag than real life!!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest