Issue 72 feedback thread....

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Lentini2001

Re: Issue 72 feedback thread....

Post by Lentini2001 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:54 pm

Just finished reading - very rare I get the time to read cover to cover anymore but this issue was one of the best and made me do so. :D

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:40 pm

Megamixer wrote:Got mine from the shop today.

Looks good (yet to read it so this post is probably a waste of internet space) but damn...the Dungeons and Dragons piece just makes me want to buy the Saturn import right now. Never mind the fact that it often costs near £100 :(
Worth every penny, mate. Glad you liked the feature! :)

merman

Post by merman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:42 pm

Duddyroar wrote:A more in-depth goemon feature can be found on the Retro Survival disc that was produced when the Live-era magazine went under. It's well worth seeking outz
Unfortunately the website is currently down, we're trying to sort that out... but there are copies still available for those who are interested. Considering how many we sold (thanks to everyone that did buy a copy!) I think a lot of the people here on this forum did!
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:08 am

As the other thread was closed, can I just ask how the error regarding the Driver article came about? Seems to have ruffled some feathers, certainly.

Whomper

Post by Whomper » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:24 pm

Finally got my subs issue at the end of last week (I'm in NZ - unless you have a subscriber at Fox Base in Antarctica, I may be the last to get it). Top issue - didn't really know much about John Gibson beforehand, but loved his interview, seemed like a genuinely fascinating bloke (with superb taste in Desert Island Disks). Love the idea that you could go from jobabout ceiling fixer to Porsche owning games developer just by learning ZX81 Assembler and bluffing. Makes me long for simpler days...

Further praise for... D&D Article, Ian Lee's column (although please remove the world "celeb" from his blurb, it's cringeworthy, and with columns like that he deserves to be in there on merit alone), and this month's unusually fascinating Homebrew section.

Found the Wario article to be a bit "here's a description of me playing a computer game" though.

Still more to digest, but enjoying things so far.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:28 am

Great issue. Iain Lee's column was particularly funny this ish and I had to smile at "You travel through a forest. You fall down a well. You are dead" :lol:

With regards to the Boss Rush feature on Wario, that last level is definitely not easy in Super Mario Land 2. Those swinging pendulum things plus the fireballs at the start are hard enough to get past in my opinion.

Dungeons and Dragons article makes me want to spend money I shouldn't and the Mystical Ninja piece makes me want a SNES. Just how RG should be :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:39 am

Gabe wrote:As the other thread was closed, can I just ask how the error regarding the Driver article came about? Seems to have ruffled some feathers, certainly.
yeh toys well and truly out of the pram there, suggesting the whole magazine is worthless because of one mistake...although admittedly quite a big one.

One surprise for me was the Iain Lee page, actually found that very amusing.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:40 am

Still haven't got mine... should I worry already? :(

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:37 am

Just finished the issue, it was good as always looking forward to next month.
Still need to get around to finishing the Video Game Hardware Handbook.

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:46 am

jdanddiet wrote:
Gabe wrote:As the other thread was closed, can I just ask how the error regarding the Driver article came about? Seems to have ruffled some feathers, certainly.
yeh toys well and truly out of the pram there, suggesting the whole magazine is worthless because of one mistake...although admittedly quite a big one.
Theres nothing worse than your own work going uncredited, but why make a public spectacle and try and embarrass Darren, Stuart and the whole mag? Just as he points out a simple phone call could have cleared things up, maybe he should have done the same.

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:34 am

ismellicecream wrote:I would have liked to have seen some of the Nemesis magazine mockups that were mentioned, I suppose I could dig them out somewhere on the net.
I read the article today, and I'd like to see the pics, too. Does anyone know the issue and if there are scans available online, or a site that has pics of the mockups?
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:40 am

necronom wrote:
ismellicecream wrote:I would have liked to have seen some of the Nemesis magazine mockups that were mentioned, I suppose I could dig them out somewhere on the net.
I read the article today, and I'd like to see the pics, too. Does anyone know the issue and if there are scans available online, or a site that has pics of the mockups?
I forgot about this, I've just had a look at WOS:

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0003385

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:02 am

ismellicecream wrote:
necronom wrote:
I forgot about this, I've just had a look at WOS:

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0003385
Thanks.

I can't believe how obvious the "STU" signature is in the review pic :lol:
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:11 am

Looking at that page in Your Sinclair...

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/showmag. ... 400009.jpg

It did look great from that picture ! How wrong we all were ! Dire Speccy conversion

Gnome

Post by Gnome » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:57 pm

Seems like a great issue and I wish I could comment, but (disturbingly) my issue hasn't arrived yet... First time in two+ years of being a subscriber...
Usually blogging over at Gnome's Lair, steadily into Retro Treasures and some cabaret.