More Vic 20 in the mag?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Do you want to see more Vic 20 coverage in the mag?

Yes
69%
No
15%
Don't Mind
16%

Total votes: 74

crusto

Re: More Vic 20 in the mag?

Post by crusto » Mon May 19, 2014 8:17 pm

merman wrote:
crusto wrote:It's mad how people look back at things. I don't recall the 8 bit era with much fondness, whereas others are demanding vic 20 coverage!

Don't get me wrong, I had some fun, and have some fond memories of the era. But predominantly all I have when I think of the 8 bits is memories of shocking arcade conversions and unreliable hardware. I don't have any regrets, but jeez I'm glad I jumped ship to the MS/PCE etc when I did.

I'm much more interested in articles to do with the consoles, namely MD, MS etc etc. And I don't mind articles on the 16 bit computers too as they intrigue me (because I never owned one). They were of decent quality and were a decent alternative to consoles.
Just remember that without the 8-bit computers there would be no console industry - so many important programmers and companies cut their teeth on those old machines. The founder of Linux started programming on the Vic-20 for example...
I don't doubt you for a second. But personally I would rather be reading about stuff other than the 8 bits. Of course I accept that 8 bit coverage is here to stay and I will read it. Just saying is all.

Eat your nans pants

DRS

Post by DRS » Wed May 21, 2014 11:35 am

Mayhem wrote:At least one of those will be in the article ;)

(and I goofed in my previous post... this will be the fifth Vic20 article, I forgot about Paul's article on Chariot Race)
So Mayhem, that makes it 3-2 to you in the 'Vic-20 champion penalty shoot out' eh? I scored with Making Ofs on Chariot Race and Wacky Waiters, but hit the post with my In the Chair with Eugene Evans... You stuck your two Vic hardware articles in the top corner and have now slipped this Minority Report under the keeper's body.

Well, it's not over. Oh no. NOT TILL DARRAN BLOWS THE FINAL WHISTLE! NOT TILL THE FINAL KICK OF THE CREAM AND BROWN BALL!

I'm already planning how to level up the score. Oh yes, Mayhem. Then the pressure will be back on you. I'll be taking this to sudden death. Are you a Matt Le Tissier or a Chris Waddle, eh?

Nurse, my medication!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed May 21, 2014 3:08 pm

Oh, I'd completely forgotten Wacky Waiters. So that's six Vic20 articles then. I haven't had two Vic20 hardware pieces, the first was way back in Live Publishing times with a piece on Ultima: Escape From Mount Drash...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

DRS

Post by DRS » Thu May 22, 2014 9:17 am

So hang on, hang on... if your first Vic 20 piece was in Live days, Mayhem, then you are technically cup tied. So is this penalty shoot out currently at even Steven? And who is Steven?

Nurse, more dopamine!

[time passes]

Mayhem, now my meds have began working, i just wondered a) if the Vic Minority Report is in RG130? Hope so! b) who did the 'other' Vic piece, if me and thee have done 2 and 3 respectively and c) if anyone else is reading this, sorry for this massively indulgent 'aren't we soooo important writing for the mag' conversation - but me and the mighty Mayhem are Vic till we die! Which may be quite soon...

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu May 22, 2014 12:13 pm

Yes, the Minority Report is due for #130. The other piece was Blitz in the current (#129) issue, don't have it on hand to see who wrote it.

merman

Post by merman » Fri May 23, 2014 10:50 am

Mayhem wrote:Yes, the Minority Report is due for #130. The other piece was Blitz in the current (#129) issue, don't have it on hand to see who wrote it.
It's a reader's revival, written by Andy H of Ovine Games...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

DRS

Post by DRS » Fri May 23, 2014 12:28 pm

Mayhem wrote:Yes, the Minority Report is due for #130. The other piece was Blitz in the current (#129) issue, don't have it on hand to see who wrote it.
So Retro Revivals count as 'Vic goals scored' eh? Well, well, well.... I've done TWO of them. Myriad and Catcha Snatcha. So Mayhem, that means I'm up 4-3. GET IN! YOU'RE NOT SINGING ANY MORE, YOU'RE NOT SIIIIIIIINGING ANY MORE.

And the voices in my head are silenced.

PS. I love you really Mayhem. Let me caress your Mount Drash again.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat May 24, 2014 3:30 pm

And if you ever wanted proof we're all a bit mad around here... there you go ;)

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:59 pm

DRS wrote:
So Retro Revivals count as 'Vic goals scored' eh? Well, well, well.... I've done TWO of them. Myriad and Catcha Snatcha. So Mayhem, that means I'm up 4-3. GET IN! YOU'RE NOT SINGING ANY MORE, YOU'RE NOT SIIIIIIIINGING ANY MORE.

And the voices in my head are silenced.

PS. I love you really Mayhem. Let me caress your Mount Drash again.
Didn't I have one with GORF at some point?
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:25 am

GarryG wrote:Didn't I have one with GORF at some point?
There's a GORF Reader's Revival in issue 69, was that you?

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:57 pm

Rory Milne wrote:
GarryG wrote:Didn't I have one with GORF at some point?
There's a GORF Reader's Revival in issue 69, was that you?
Yip, that was me :mrgreen:
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:23 am

merman wrote:
Blitz was addictive way beyond its simple mechanic - I wish there was an IOS/indie game that built on it - would be a great one touch game.

Chariot Race and Shamus also stand out in mu head.

merman

Post by merman » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:26 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:
merman wrote:
Blitz was addictive way beyond its simple mechanic - I wish there was an IOS/indie game that built on it - would be a great one touch game.

Chariot Race and Shamus also stand out in mu head.
You should check out Ovine's Sky Is Falling, heavily influenced by Blitz but with a twist

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/the-sky ... 48592?mt=8
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:12 am

Blitz is available on Android.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:52 pm

cool will check out Sky is Falling

I did have the Blitz on my old Android phone (which went pop). Looked cool, but just needed tweek on the gameplay.

Had doodle blitz and jungle crash on my old iphone too