More Vic 20 in the mag?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Do you want to see more Vic 20 coverage in the mag?

Yes
51
69%
No
11
15%
Don't Mind
12
16%
 
Total votes: 74

User avatar
crusto
Posts: 5586
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: More Vic 20 in the mag?

Post by crusto » Sat May 17, 2014 7:38 pm

gman wrote: I think Minter raises the machines profile somewhat. I will read the Minority Report with an open mind and dig out an emulator and see what happens.
Don't do it, leave it be! :o
Image

Eat your nans pants

User avatar
necronom
Posts: 5648
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:23 pm
Location: Middlesbrough

Re: More Vic 20 in the mag?

Post by necronom » Sun May 18, 2014 4:22 pm

Mayhem wrote:the Vic20 was cheaper than its rivals, and not quite as powerful because of that
Which rivals were those? All I remember at the time was the VIC being the alternative to the ZX81, and it was more expensive and better.
Image
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

User avatar
crusto
Posts: 5586
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: More Vic 20 in the mag?

Post by crusto » Sun May 18, 2014 6:04 pm

But still crap...


:D
Image

Eat your nans pants

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: More Vic 20 in the mag?

Post by The Laird » Sun May 18, 2014 6:21 pm

necronom wrote:
Mayhem wrote:the Vic20 was cheaper than its rivals, and not quite as powerful because of that
Which rivals were those? All I remember at the time was the VIC being the alternative to the ZX81, and it was more expensive and better.
Apple II, TRS-80 and Atari 400 & 800 for a start.

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8018
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: More Vic 20 in the mag?

Post by gman72 » Sun May 18, 2014 7:03 pm

crusto wrote:
gman wrote: I think Minter raises the machines profile somewhat. I will read the Minority Report with an open mind and dig out an emulator and see what happens.
Don't do it, leave it be! :o
Yeah... Probably best left well alone :wink:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

User avatar
Mayhem
Posts: 4741
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:05 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: More Vic 20 in the mag?

Post by Mayhem » Sun May 18, 2014 7:10 pm

The Laird wrote:
necronom wrote:
Mayhem wrote:the Vic20 was cheaper than its rivals, and not quite as powerful because of that
Which rivals were those? All I remember at the time was the VIC being the alternative to the ZX81, and it was more expensive and better.
Apple II, TRS-80 and Atari 400 & 800 for a start.
As Laird says... I was coming at it more from a US perspective there in terms of rivals. Here in the UK... yeah... most of the UK computer industry didn't REALLY get going until 1982, so the Vic20 had far less to worry about for a year or so. By which time, the C64 was out in the US...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Image

User avatar
crusto
Posts: 5586
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: More Vic 20 in the mag?

Post by crusto » Sun May 18, 2014 8:29 pm

It's mad how people look back at things. I don't recall the 8 bit era with much fondness, whereas others are demanding vic 20 coverage!

Don't get me wrong, I had some fun, and have some fond memories of the era. But predominantly all I have when I think of the 8 bits is memories of shocking arcade conversions and unreliable hardware. I don't have any regrets, but jeez I'm glad I jumped ship to the MS/PCE etc when I did.

I'm much more interested in articles to do with the consoles, namely MD, MS etc etc. And I don't mind articles on the 16 bit computers too as they intrigue me (because I never owned one). They were of decent quality and were a decent alternative to consoles.
Image

Eat your nans pants

User avatar
fredghostmaster
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:17 pm
Location: essex

Re: More Vic 20 in the mag?

Post by fredghostmaster » Mon May 19, 2014 2:35 am

Crusto, I disagree with every word you have just said! :D

User avatar
slacey1070
Posts: 2850
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:20 am

Re: More Vic 20 in the mag?

Post by slacey1070 » Mon May 19, 2014 5:15 am

fredghostmaster wrote:Crusto, I disagree with every word you have just said! :D
Me too :) its good to see we have such a broad church!

MD? Hasn't that been done to death now? Is there anything we haven't read about the hardware?

Vic 20 was great, just wad swept away pretty quickly....

Id love more 8bit features, I found the Oric stuff interesting too.

Still waiting for a Jupiter Ace article though.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8018
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: More Vic 20 in the mag?

Post by gman72 » Mon May 19, 2014 5:48 am

8 bit is not my main area of interest but I'm sure there is a gold mine of stuff still to be written about. I think RGs main focus is always gonna be 8 bit and as long as it isn't constantly going over the same ground I can live with that.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6530
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re: More Vic 20 in the mag?

Post by merman » Mon May 19, 2014 7:46 am

crusto wrote:It's mad how people look back at things. I don't recall the 8 bit era with much fondness, whereas others are demanding vic 20 coverage!

Don't get me wrong, I had some fun, and have some fond memories of the era. But predominantly all I have when I think of the 8 bits is memories of shocking arcade conversions and unreliable hardware. I don't have any regrets, but jeez I'm glad I jumped ship to the MS/PCE etc when I did.

I'm much more interested in articles to do with the consoles, namely MD, MS etc etc. And I don't mind articles on the 16 bit computers too as they intrigue me (because I never owned one). They were of decent quality and were a decent alternative to consoles.
Just remember that without the 8-bit computers there would be no console industry - so many important programmers and companies cut their teeth on those old machines. The founder of Linux started programming on the Vic-20 for example...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

User avatar
Mayhem
Posts: 4741
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:05 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: More Vic 20 in the mag?

Post by Mayhem » Mon May 19, 2014 8:19 am

Considering the Minority Report will only be the fourth (that I can think of) directly Vic20 related piece in the magazine since it started (and I've written three of them!), then I don't think the magazine is saturated with Vic20 coverage ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Image

User avatar
kelp7
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:18 am
Location: East Devon

Re: More Vic 20 in the mag?

Post by kelp7 » Mon May 19, 2014 3:31 pm

The VIC-20 was ace, Mutant Herd, Gridrunner and Submarine Commander are all excellent.
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

User avatar
slacey1070
Posts: 2850
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:20 am

Re: More Vic 20 in the mag?

Post by slacey1070 » Mon May 19, 2014 3:38 pm

kelp7 wrote:The VIC-20 was ace, Mutant Herd, Gridrunner and Submarine Commander are all excellent.
Gorf, jelly monsters, jet Pac, matrix, the miner Willy game, radar rat race...

I'd sit and play that lot right now.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

User avatar
Mayhem
Posts: 4741
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:05 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: More Vic 20 in the mag?

Post by Mayhem » Mon May 19, 2014 4:15 pm

At least one of those will be in the article ;)

(and I goofed in my previous post... this will be the fifth Vic20 article, I forgot about Paul's article on Chariot Race)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest