PC Components - Retro or Veto?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Should RG Feature Retro PC Components?

Of course!
49%
Of course not!
41%
I'm Bobbin Threadbare , are you my mother?
10%

Total votes: 41

Matt_B

Re: PC Components - Retro or Veto?

Post by Matt_B » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:03 pm

necronom wrote:I'm guessing you never owned them when they came out.
Nope. Why would I want a machine from a faceless money-grabbing corporation like Commodore? :lol:

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:10 pm

i think commodore uk had their head screwed on in the right direction compared to their usa cousins..

clarance

Post by clarance » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:19 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Nope. Why would I want a machine from a faceless money-grabbing corporation like Commodore? :lol:
So which console/computer corporation isn't faceless or money grabbing - at least Commodore were comically inept.

With PC's, although I never myself give it any love or affection, I think the love comes from creating a system that is somewhat unique and personal to the user, whether that comes from the gubbins that makes up its innards, or simply the way that you can present your desktop (or your firefox add-ons :) ).

Back in the day I spent hundreds and hundreds of pounds upgrading my Amiga 1200 for very little reason, other than because I could - so an article about (pointless?) upgrades would interest me - I'm thinking of things like R.O.B. for the NES, or the ascii keyboard and broadband adapter for the Gamecube, or the fantastic Bodega Bay for the Amiga.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:21 pm

Be nice to have a small article about phase 5.They made some fantastic cards for the amiga that made the p.c ports possible...
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clarance

Post by clarance » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:02 pm

Yeah, those Phase5 boards were amazing, but simply too expensive - if you wanted to play Quake on the Amiga it was very expensive - that was when I jumped ships :(
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:34 am

clarance wrote:
Matt_B wrote:
So which console/computer corporation isn't faceless or money grabbing - at least Commodore were comically inept.
Sure, they're all sharks to some extent. I was just having a dig at Necronom who seems to have been under the illusion that Microsoft were the only bullies in the industry.

For what it's worth, even though I never bought them, I thought the C64 and Amiga were decent machines for their time. It's just that Commodore failed to evolve and didn't have a new generation of hardware ready to take on the rapidly improving competition. From 1991 onwards I'd think that you'd really need to have the blinkers on to not see the PC as the premium games format despite the millstone that was MS-DOS. Let's face it, most Amiga games just boot from floppy and bypass the OS as anyway.

Anyway, getting back on topic, I'd think that the three key bits of hardware for the early 90s PC were:
VGA (1987) - A clear advance on what systems had at the time in terms of graphics.
486 (1989) - A CPU that put Intel in a league of their own in terms of price/performance.
Soundblaster (1989) - 11 channel FM synthesis with digital sampling and playback.

Another of my favourite pieces of kit is the Roland SCC-1, which would be my candidate for the most revolutionary piece of sound hardware ever. which offered a professional synthesizer you could just plug into your PC; it was even supported by most games via General MIDI for a superior soundtrack over the Soundblaster.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:47 am

I love PC's, back in the day of the early 90's it was amazing seeing the latest specs, one minute a 66 mhz PC (and you had to often create boot disks for games), a few months later a 166 mhz, then a 300 mhz, then a 600 mhz etc. Changing so quickly. The MD of my company used to sell me his old PC's as he upgraded his constantly.

My mates loved it back in the day tinkering with it, putting in more memory, 3d card, new drive etc. Must admit i prefer the PC's of today where i dont have to go 'under the boot' but back in the early 90's it was fun i must admit.

Never got into building them myself but a fair few friends do that so i can call upon them the minute i need a new drive/motherboard etc. Love PC's, can do so much with them

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:20 am

well what happened with commodore aswell they just didnt have the money to catch up with the rest,the soundchips in most of the newer amigas harked back to the days of the A1000..

Kai

Post by Kai » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:10 am

psj3809 wrote:I love PC's, back in the day of the early 90's it was amazing seeing the latest specs, one minute a 66 mhz PC (and you had to often create boot disks for games), a few months later a 166 mhz, then a 300 mhz, then a 600 mhz etc. Changing so quickly.
Yes, I was quite a thrilling time. One moment you were the coolest guy at school owning a DOS-system with 4MB RAM, and the next moment the guy next to you owned a system with 8MB RAM. I was quite obsessed with all those numbers and I remember that I was terribly disappointed when Intel named its then-new CPU "pentium" and not "586". :lol:
My PC heyday was from 1993 (when I shockingly turned my back on my beloved Amiga due to a little game called DOOM) until 1996 (when a little game called RIDGE RACER* converted me instantly into a PSX-fanboy :mrgreen: ).

*yes, I know, RR came out in Dec. 1994(J)/1995 (EU). :wink:

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:59 am

Matt_B wrote:For what it's worth, even though I never bought them, I thought the C64 and Amiga were decent machines for their time. It's just that Commodore failed to evolve and didn't have a new generation of hardware ready to take on the rapidly improving competition.
Commodore's main problem isn't so much that it didn't evolve its line-up, but it suffered from line-up bloat when platforms were standardising. The C64 was doing quite well in the early 1990s, but the C65 and GS derailed that—and then the C65 didn't arrive anyway. I suspect had Commodore knifed its line down to the C64, a 'consumer' or games-oriented Amiga 'console' (as per the 600) and a single 'pro' Amiga with lots of upgrade clout, it would have done better than it did running around like a headless chicken, spraying out new machines and configurations by the bucketload.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

TMR

Post by TMR » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:09 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
Matt_B wrote:For what it's worth, even though I never bought them, I thought the C64 and Amiga were decent machines for their time. It's just that Commodore failed to evolve and didn't have a new generation of hardware ready to take on the rapidly improving competition.
Commodore's main problem isn't so much that it didn't evolve its line-up, but it suffered from line-up bloat when platforms were standardising. The C64 was doing quite well in the early 1990s, but the C65 and GS derailed that—and then the C65 didn't arrive anyway. I suspect had Commodore knifed its line down to the C64, a 'consumer' or games-oriented Amiga 'console' (as per the 600) and a single 'pro' Amiga with lots of upgrade clout, it would have done better than it did running around like a headless chicken, spraying out new machines and configurations by the bucketload.
Yeah, it was an attempt to stick fingers in as many pies as possible... they wanted a machine on just about every tier of the market, consoles, even set-top boxes before anyone knew what they wanted to do with an STB! Much as i love the C64, it should've been taken out of service when the A600 came along (there wasn't much in it between them as regards price, i believe the C64's popularity with the punters is what stopped that happening) and the line boiled down to A600 for the beginners/lowest end of the market, A1200HD (without a stock A1200 in the range) for the more serious users and A4000 for "power users".

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:26 am

Thing is, this a trap most companies fall into—they start thinking that what consumers really want is choice. What actually happens is too much choice causes confusion and lower sales. Apple fell into the same trap in the 1990s, and it almost killed the company. By contrast, it today offers a line that's pretty simple (although it's sadly getting a little muddied of late). In the mobile space, it's even simpler: get an iPhone 3GS or an iPhone 3G, or sod off. Compare that to most other hardware manufacturers that offer a bunch of hard-to-remember and harder-to-distinguish products.

The sad thing with Commodore is that it clearly had the skills and a certain amount of the vision, but absolutely no idea about being ruthless on its own products.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:02 pm

How is Apple getting "muddied of late"? Surely there's just the Mini, the iMac and the Mac Pro, just as there's been for ages? And the MacBook and MacBook Pro for laptops. Oh, and the MacBook Air for ponces :D But that's still only six rather precisely-positioned models.

If anything I'd say they're still missing a model, somewhere between the iMac and the Pro. Not everyone wants an all-in-one screen thing like the iMac, and not everyone needs extreme server-grade processing clout... much as it would be nice...
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:28 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:

Exactly ,I think Commodore's reasearch dept . felt they just had to release a new console/comuter every 6-12 months to justify their wages. The A500+ , A600 and GS essentially offered C64/Amiga owners virtually notyjing that they didnt already have , and confused the hell out of prospective new owners. Best to offer 1 - or possibly 2 - and make a clear distinction between the 2. any more and you're basically competing against yourself
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

retrozoneorg

Post by retrozoneorg » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:35 pm

There are certain PC components that seem very retro now.

Like the original sound blaster cards.
Cant think of anything else though..... But I do remember playing DOOM! on a 366 SX-25Mhz PC with 4Mb RAM!