PC Components - Retro or Veto?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Should RG Feature Retro PC Components?

Of course!
49%
Of course not!
41%
I'm Bobbin Threadbare , are you my mother?
10%

Total votes: 41

Matt_B

Re: PC Components - Retro or Veto?

Post by Matt_B » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:52 pm

necronom wrote:PCs have no soul, or personality.
Meh. So speaks someone who's never built one for themselves out of hand-picked components. :wink:

Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:29 pm

The hardware, strictly speaking, no.

It would be interesting to see a few articles on the early games that were released to take advantage of new PC components that added new potential to gaming - VGA, sound cards, CD-ROM, perhaps 3D accelerators as well.

Personally I believe that the first three are more significant than the last. Software rendered 3D was already quite common before the hardware was available.

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:31 am

Matt_B wrote:
Meh. So speaks someone who's never built one for themselves out of hand-picked components. :wink:
You couldn't be more wrong.

I've had two PCs. The first one I picked every component, then gave the list to the local computer shop to put together. The second one I picked every component, then built it myself. I've upgraded them both several times, too.

I've also been involved in IT support at work since '93 and have built/stripped/rebuilt/upgraded many work PCs.

Just because someone works with and builds PCs doesn't mean they have to like them.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:17 am

necronom wrote:
I did, actually. I got my first one in December 2000.

PCs have no soul, or personality. They are just business machines with off the shelf parts bundled together in a beige box, with the operating system from hell as the dominant OS, from the worst company in the world.
During the 90s PC gaming was great. The shareware, BBS, VGA, Windows 95 and CD-rom all made it exciting to have one. Similar to Amiga, ST etc but you had the feeling that it wasn't a system on its way out :wink: . Apogee games, Doom, Command & Conquer, Unreal etc were great to witness at the time. There was nothing that could touch the PC once the ball started rolling early-mid 90s, even the arcades. In fact I didn't own any other gaming platform until (coincidentally) Xmas 2000 when I got a 2nd hand Dreamcast. I can understand then (though still disagree somewhat) that if you didn't PC game until after the millenium you probably will have missed out on the most 'charming' period for that system. I think the charm did decrease after 3D and the internet became the staple though.

Its a real pity that RG doesn't cover PC gaming during that period. They were obviously flogging their Amigas into the ground trying to get something remotely similar to the Doom experience :wink: . Jokes aside, it is a viable a platform to cover in RG, its a shame that the PCs role these days have probably cleared those rose tinted glasses. It was great to be a part of during the 90s and tbh, I wouldn't have wanted to be on any other platform.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:22 am

necronom wrote:
Matt_B wrote:
You couldn't be more wrong.

I've had two PCs. The first one I picked every component, then gave the list to the local computer shop to put together. The second one I picked every component, then built it myself. I've upgraded them both several times, too.

I've also been involved in IT support at work since '93 and have built/stripped/rebuilt/upgraded many work PCs.

Just because someone works with and builds PCs doesn't mean they have to like them.
I'm genuinely surprised. I'd think that most people would have far more attachment to something that they've made or extensively customized for themselves than to something that they just got off a shelf.

What sort of machine do you think has "soul" or "personality" and why, out of interest?

MediaCult

Post by MediaCult » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:26 am

necronom wrote:
oli_lar wrote:PCs are retro though, unless you only started using them at the start of this decade.

PCs have no soul, or personality. They are just business machines with off the shelf parts bundled together in a beige box, with the operating system from hell as the dominant OS, from the worst company in the world.

I've just had a bad 48 hours with mine, though before that I'd still feel the same.

Give me upgrades to a Vic-20, Oric, VCS, Dragon, C64, Amiga, Spectrum, etc., and I'm all ears (or should that be "all eyes").
Nah, what makes a PC less "soulfull" than a random console? The fact that you can upgrade it? If it's the looks, you could just decorate it ;)

But on topic, I'm not into the tech-part of PCs so I voted no, but I'm all for retro PC game articles!
MobyGames profile: http://www.mobygames.com/user/sheet/userSheetId,131075/
PSN/Microsoft/Wii U/STEAM nickname: MediaCult (feel free to add me).

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:40 am

Same.
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:45 am

oli_lar wrote:
necronom wrote:

During the 90s PC gaming was great. The shareware, BBS, VGA, Windows 95 and CD-rom all made it exciting to have one. Similar to Amiga, ST etc but you had the feeling that it wasn't a system on its way out :wink: . Apogee games, Doom, Command & Conquer, Unreal etc were great to witness at the time. There was nothing that could touch the PC once the ball started rolling early-mid 90s, even the arcades. In fact I didn't own any other gaming platform until (coincidentally) Xmas 2000 when I got a 2nd hand Dreamcast. I can understand then (though still disagree somewhat) that if you didn't PC game until after the millenium you probably will have missed out on the most 'charming' period for that system. I think the charm did decrease after 3D and the internet became the staple though.

Its a real pity that RG doesn't cover PC gaming during that period. They were obviously flogging their Amigas into the ground trying to get something remotely similar to the Doom experience :wink: . Jokes aside, it is a viable a platform to cover in RG, its a shame that the PCs role these days have probably cleared those rose tinted glasses. It was great to be a part of during the 90s and tbh, I wouldn't have wanted to be on any other platform.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Suppose you had to be there - it was a great time and I still love my PC. Far more than any of my consoles!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

TMR

Post by TMR » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:16 am

In the 1990's i had both an Amiga 1200 '030 and a PC set up, i never really got into PC gaming because it was such a pain at that point and the Amiga just did what it said on the tin. These days i still see the PC as something that i have to use rather than want to...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:34 am

All I'm going to say about this is that Christmas is a time for Miracles...

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:21 am

That kind of sounds good to me! Fingers crossed there is some old PC stuff then :D

I was up in the loft the other day and found the boxes for most of my old graphics cards!! No cards in them though :roll:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:15 am

Matt_B wrote:I'm genuinely surprised. I'd think that most people would have far more attachment to something that they've made or extensively customized for themselves than to something that they just got off a shelf.

What sort of machine do you think has "soul" or "personality" and why, out of interest?
The Amiga, for one, and the C64 before that.

The Amiga is the computer that just had that perfect feel to it. It felt like it was made by people who cared about what they did (which is true), and its OS was incredible. The whole way it worked was amazing. Things happened instantly (opening windows and flicking between screens/apps), and I could do anything on it (even play Doom; DoomAttack on the Amiga is the best version of Doom I've played).

It felt friendly, and was a joy to use. I could plug something in and it would just work. Plug and Play wasn't invented yet on PCs, but on the Amiga it was just the way it worked. Why would you expect something to not work when you plugged it in?

I was editing sound samples, making music, creating home videos with titles and animations superimposed on live video, etc. when PCs were using 16 colours, beeping farts, having IRQ conflicts, and later progressing to Windows 3.x and still running things in DOS and having video and sound driver problems.

There is nothing I enjoyed about PCs in the '90s. There were probably a few games I liked the look of that were on the PC and not on the Amiga, but most games I could get. I had a 68040 A1200, so speed wasn't much of an issue.

I guess you had to be there and experience it, but when Microsoft came along and took over everything, killed off well established companies and software and spoilt the whole world of computing, I was a bit upset with them. I hate them with a passion, and that's why I would never (and never have) bought anything from them. I'm also surprised that anyone who owned an Amiga would ever buy an Xbox. It would be like sleeping with the enemy. I suppose if you didn't use your Amiga as it was intended, and just used it as a games console, then you wouldn't have the attachment I have for it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:09 pm

necronom wrote:
Matt_B wrote:I'm genuinely surprised. I'd think that most people would have far more attachment to something that they've made or extensively customized for themselves than to something that they just got off a shelf.

The Amiga, for one, and the C64 before that.
Well, they're both soulless beige boxes to me, so there you go. :lol:

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:26 pm

I'm guessing you never owned them when they came out.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:42 pm

I'd have to agree with Necronom.
There's something about PCs that just doesn't do anything for me, yet I think the world of consoles and other gaming systems. Spent a fortune on my last PC and built it myself, but still never really thought much of it.