PC Components - Retro or Veto?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Should RG Feature Retro PC Components?

Of course!
49%
Of course not!
41%
I'm Bobbin Threadbare , are you my mother?
10%

Total votes: 41

paranoid marvin

PC Components - Retro or Veto?

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:57 am

Ok , so we've seen features on many of our favourite - and some of our not so favourite - computers , consoles and arcade machines of yester-year ; but I ask the question "Whither PC?".
Perhaps not the ol' grey boxes themselves , which I don't think anyone would find appealing , but how about the evolution of the soundcard , the impact of the introduction of Creative's Soundblaster , or how about the way that 3D gaming was turned on it's head when 3DFX Interactive introduced the Voodoo 1 to gamers - who can forget the first time they saw the enhanced version of Quake?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Zetr0

Re: PC Components - Retro or Veto?

Post by Zetr0 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:22 am

I have two old DOS boxes.

A Pentium Pro 166
128MB RAM
Dual Voodoo2's (in SLI)
4MB S3 Trio Video Card
(PCI) - AWE 64 Gold (with DB60XG wave Table)
(ISA) - Soundblaster 16

20GB SCSI Drive

- its bloody quick for a Dos Box, but also plays things like Dungon Keeper 2!!!! =D

the other argualby is a DOS Box in name -

AMD Athlon DDR 1.4GHz (Factory Unlocked)
512MB RAM
Radeon 7200 VIVO (64MB)
Sound Blaster Pro compatible sound
40GB IDE HDD

for the most part I can run a wide range of dos games like the wing commander and xcom etc, alas there are some I need to use DOSBox emu to play.

my XBox also has DOSBox on it... arguably when you look at the specs lol

Modified Pentium 2 BGA 733Mhz
64MB Primary RAM
32MB Nvidia Graphics
NVidia Sound
200GB HDD

Thats run everything so far, some need a config fiddle though =D

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:27 am

Ahhh the Voodoo card. Still remember trudging down to a computer shop (Special Reserve in Egham) to get it. First one didnt work so had to take it back but once i put it in, wow ! Quake II instead of being blocky was just smooth as silk, firing a rocket and seeing the trails ! It was great back then !

Perhaps RG could do a feature on it but i hope the mag doesnt get too geeky with techy stuff (Not saying this is but i can imagine other potential hardware ideas)

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:27 am

i do have a DOS box (a Toshiba Equium 7100S - Pentium 2 350, 256Mb RAM and a 10Gb hard disk) but there's a hint of irony in that it's never used for games and is instead set up for StarCommander, which allows me to transfer C64 disk images to and from floppies. i'm planning to retire it (it won't go anywhere, just be disconnected from the KVM switch and mains power) when i scrape enough cash together for a 1541 Ultimate.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:34 am

psj3809 wrote:Ahhh the Voodoo card. Still remember trudging down to a computer shop (Special Reserve in Egham) to get it. First one didnt work so had to take it back but once i put it in, wow ! Quake II instead of being blocky was just smooth as silk, firing a rocket and seeing the trails ! It was great back then !

Perhaps RG could do a feature on it but i hope the mag doesnt get too geeky with techy stuff (Not saying this is but i can imagine other potential hardware ideas)
Well the SID chip is (hopefully!) going to be a fantastic feature , and seems to be pretty popular with most forum members. It's arguable that the first Voodoo card is just as ground-breaking as the C64s music chip was
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:47 am

Yeah I'd love to see such a feature. PC gamings pretty neglected in RG. Another idea would be the CD-rom drive.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:37 am

oli_lar wrote:Yeah I'd love to see such a feature. PC gamings pretty neglected in RG. Another idea would be the CD-rom drive.

Yeah , definately. That revolutionised gaming , in particular point n click. Games like DOTT and Fate Of Atlantis massively benefitted , and one of the major reasons for me upgrading from my 'miggy
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:49 am

*remembers the amiga days with the acclerator cards..

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:13 pm

I think I upgraded my PC graphics card everytime a new one came out! So would LOVE to see something on them - and the GAMES that they made look fantastic!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:16 pm

One article, fine (although it wouldn't be my cup of tea I'm sure it would still make an interesting read), but I'd be against having it as a regular feature.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:19 pm

Rinoa wrote:One article, fine (although it wouldn't be my cup of tea I'm sure it would still make an interesting read), but I'd be against having it as a regular feature.

Totally agree.well said Rinoa. :wink:

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:44 pm

by Fred83

*remembers the amiga days with the acclerator cards..
Same here. A1200 upgraded to 10 Megs!

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:05 pm

I'd like to read about upgrades to retro machines, but not PCs.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:09 pm

PCs are retro though, unless you only started using them at the start of this decade.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:27 pm

oli_lar wrote:PCs are retro though, unless you only started using them at the start of this decade.
I did, actually. I got my first one in December 2000.

PCs have no soul, or personality. They are just business machines with off the shelf parts bundled together in a beige box, with the operating system from hell as the dominant OS, from the worst company in the world.

I've just had a bad 48 hours with mine, though before that I'd still feel the same.

Give me upgrades to a Vic-20, Oric, VCS, Dragon, C64, Amiga, Spectrum, etc., and I'm all ears (or should that be "all eyes").
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V